Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: City with ordinances against shooting bows

City with ordinances against shooting bows

I mentioned on the Bowhunters of Alabama web site that I had heard of some cities that had ordinances against shooting bows. There seems to always be someone that wants to call me out so he asks for the name of the cities. So if any of you are not allowed to shoot in your city please give me the name of the city and the state so that I can go back with a little more information.

Thanks for any input.

My buddy can't shoot at his house. Mount Joy, Pa.
    Stage 1 Strings Hunting PS / Fury X Archery SS / Dead Center Archery PS / Slick Trick PS / Gold Tip AS / Carbomask PS / Trophy Blend Scents PS / Tenzing FS / Bohning SS / U-Slide PS / Spot Hogg PS / TightSpot Quiver PS / Mossy Oak PS / Swarovski Field Tech / Team QAD PS

Maumelle Arkansas. If my city did I'd move!
    J.B.

ordinances

I believe most cities/towns in my area, sw iowa, nw mo and se ne, do have ordinances against discharging a weapon in town. So while your towns ordinancea may not specifically list bows the wording may be loose enough that if a neighbor complains about you shooting a bow in town, you'll be charged. These small towns however, don't seem to enforce them unless a complaint has been reported.

MOST places dont allow bows or firearms,including pellet/BB guns to be discharged within village or city limits. with that being said,why would anyone want to shoot with neighbors with kids and pets running around. complete carelessness IMO and an accident,possibly a lawsuit and jailtime,waiting to happen.

I may or may not have had something to do with one certain city passing an ordinance since I was pretty hard on my local neighborhood cat population @ the time it got put into effect.

I've looked up some of the local cities around me and the two biggest, including my own city, have NO ordinance against the shooting of a bow. They do however, specifically mention breach fired weapons.

Of course, all it takes is to piss off one friend of a city councilman to change all that!
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store...not a government agency.

2013 Hoyt Spyder, Snow Camo w/7 pin Spot Hog Hunter/Hoyt ULTRA REST™/Fuse Sidekick stab w/Scott Rhino XT./ Orange Pro Comp Elite, Trophy Taker Rest, CBE sight, X 10 Stabilizers, Mako Pro Release

Just because you are shooting in the city limits does not mean you are necessarily in a crowded neighborhood with kids running around crazy.
    J.B.

More b.s. talking heads laws, u get one guy who shoots grandma in the face to ruin it for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by jim p View Post
    I mentioned on the Bowhunters of Alabama web site that I had heard of some cities that had ordinances against shooting bows. There seems to always be someone that wants to call me out so he asks for the name of the cities. So if any of you are not allowed to shoot in your city please give me the name of the city and the state so that I can go back with a little more information.

Thanks for any input.
    Pageland SC you can not do it. Even a BB gun is considered discharge of a firearm in city limits if you shoot it.
    Many have asked. Does a scope and lens really help? Heck yes it does!! I miss a lot more accurately now.

I live in the Land of the Free, because of the BRAVE!!

Machesney Park IL has an ordinance and it is total redneck everyone has huge yards over an acre. I dont get it my neighbor has woods behind his house and he has shot many coyote behind his house with a high power rifle and nobody complained. I was seen shooting my bow and I got a visit by a squad car. LOL I hate this place I miss living in WI
    Thompson Performance Strings
    Copper John ANTS / CR Apex
    Trophy Taker / CX / TPE Dots

In Richmond Va., you can't shoot a bow in a residential area. In the weeks leading up to bow season, I do however see quite a few people shooting in their backyards. Most of the people that I see shooting, help me to understand why it's against the law. Most are shooting in an unsafe manner or under unsafe conditions. I know of one guy who got busted for shooting next to a daycare playground. I saw another guy shooting in his yard with kids running all over the place. Another guy was shooting at a Glendale buck that was next to the road that I was traveling on. I had to stop and wait for him to shoot before driving past him. Another guy was using the back of his neighbors garage as his backstop.
    These are just a few examples of morons with bows that cause many jurisdictions to prohibit the shooting of bows in our backyards. I consider myself a very good shooter. I could shoot up to 35 yards in my back yard, but I will not risk it. Anything could happen. All it takes is one mistake and you might end up regretting it for the rest of your days.

Quote Originally Posted by Buksknr53 View Post
    In Richmond Va., you can't shoot a bow in a residential area. In the weeks leading up to bow season, I do however see quite a few people shooting in their backyards. Most of the people that I see shooting, help me to understand why it's against the law. Most are shooting in an unsafe manner or under unsafe conditions. I know of one guy who got busted for shooting next to a daycare playground. I saw another guy shooting in his yard with kids running all over the place. Another guy was shooting at a Glendale buck that was next to the road that I was traveling on. I had to stop and wait for him to shoot before driving past him. Another guy was using the back of his neighbors garage as his backstop.
    These are just a few examples of morons with bows that cause many jurisdictions to prohibit the shooting of bows in our backyards. I consider myself a very good shooter. I could shoot up to 35 yards in my back yard, but I will not risk it. Anything could happen. All it takes is one mistake and you might end up regretting it for the rest of your days.
    Sometimes laws are enacted to protect the moron shooting rather than the public. But it works both ways. People tend to forget these are weapons they are not toys or used just to shoot targets------their main purpose is to kill something. Most cities have ordinances against "discharge of a weapon" in the city limits. Bows discharge a projectile. Where I live in the township it is legal but half mile in either direction from my house there are city limits that prohibit the discharge of weapons------that includes bows.
    Have a good day and a better hunt

Thanks. My guess is that there are many more cities that don't allow bow shooting but maybe this list will be satisfactory.

Palm Bay, Florida. But the city has signs at city limits that prohibit the use of anything that shoots a projectile. That includes BB guns, sling shots, etc. Considering the politicians and other liberals in the area, by son is wanted by law enforcement for Airsoft and Nerf gun battles. Fortunately, I have neighbors that don't care if I shoot.

Most of my friends that live in nearby cities have had the cops knocking at there door. They are Mentor Ohio, Painseville Ohio, Most of the suburbs of Cleveland.
    Geauga Bow Staff Shooter, Black Eagle Arrows Staff Shooter, Athens Staff Shooter
    Athens Testament,QAD Rest,Doinker 12"Dish,Viper Sight,Target setup,Midas2 rest,27" front and 12"side Bstinger

We're not able to discharge any weapons, including bows, in La Crosse, WI

Quote Originally Posted by Dale_B1 View Post
    Most cities have ordinances against "discharge of a weapon" in the city limits.
    This ^.
    2006 LH Bowtech Old Glory 70#, 32 1/2" draw, back to the Hostage rest, SH 7-pin Hunter, 500gr TR Crush 300 @ 285fps.
    2007 LH Bowtech Commander 60#, 32" draw, Limbdriver rest, BG 5-pin Flashpoint.
    2014 LH PSE Freak SP 70#, 32" draw, not set up yet.

Streator il. Had the cops called on me 1 month ago for no good reason...(well ok i guess its against the law..just old ass retired neighbor that is nosey amd like to stir the pot. ThEREfor YESTERDAY I just moved out aboit 10 minutes outside of the town where i can shoot my bow whenever i want. I hope some lowlife druggie piss poor person moves in now.
    Hoyt/Athens

Its illegal to discharge a bow or firearm in the city. Mansfield Ohio.
    Z7 Extreme
    29/70 Tru ball
    Maxima Hunter 350s
    CBE Sniper
    D-loop NAP Apache

Quote Originally Posted by flatline,ks View Post
    More b.s. talking heads laws, u get one guy who shoots grandma in the face to ruin it for everyone.
    Dude that's AWESOME !!!!! Thanks for a laugh first thing Monday morning....still gigggling as I type !!!
    Unfortunate about Granny for sure, but still your comment is dang funny!!!!
    Mathews C4 (3D)
    Mathews Chill w/rock mods! (hunting)
    GoldTip Staff
    TRU Ball Staff

I know we would all love the ability to take some shots off our back decks in town. It sure would be convienent. But it in no way is safe in most cases.
    Iowa Outdoor Store staff shooter

Temple, Texas

you gonna probably find that about 95% of the cities and towns have laws in place that restrict or forbid archery and firearms within their limits.

Sec. 22-8. Throwing or shooting stones, arrows, missiles, etc.

Sec. 22-8. Throwing or shooting stones, arrows, missiles, etc.
    Any person who shall throw or cast any stone or other missile upon, at or against
    any house in this city, or throw or shoot any bullet, stone or other missile from any
    slingshot, rubber shooter or other contrivance of like kind, in, from or into any street, alley,
    lane, public place, or enclosed grounds in this city, shall be deemed guilty of a
    misdemeanor.
    Any person who shall shoot any arrow from a bow or other contrivance, such arrow
    equipped with a steel point or tip or similar material composing such point or tip, capable
    of inflicting injury or death to birds, animals, or persons in the manner in which the same
    was under the control of the person shooting such arrow from such bow or other
    contrivance, shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor.

http://www.ci.temple.tx.us/DocumentView.aspx?DID=160

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast