Thread: Shakespear Wonderbow ?'s

Shakespear Wonderbow ?'s

Hey everyone, I picked up a Shakespeare Wonderbow at a swap meet last weekend for $30 and someone stopped me and gave me a little info about it, so now I'm really intrigued. It says it's a 69" Shakespeare Wonderbow Model X 15 45#+(it could be 19 or 16 cause there's a enough of the number missing to make it hard to tell). There's no name to it such as Necedeh or Ocala like some of the other posters have called theirs. I also haven't been able to find any other bows online that have similar information and markings. The bow seems to be in great shape, no fiberglass splinting or exposed and all the glue joint areas are intact. It definitely looks used but surely not abused. There's a 4 digit number on the bow as well I can't remember off hand but I think it's 1379 or something similar. I have no idea when the bow was made or any information beyond what I've written. I'll be more then happy to post a pic or get the whole number when I get home. But I'm wanting to learn to shoot a bow so any information would be very helpful. Thank you

I've had quite a few Necedah's they are a great bow, light ,fast,smooth and fantastic shooters, just picked up a real nice one for $20 and the wife latched right on to it, don't know much about their other models, but they did a fine job with the Necedah.........

Shakespeare bows are one of the early bows that will take a bit of hit and miss researching via online info and from owner/users, but eventually you will compile the history...unlike some other early bows that little to no info is available.

Shakespeare Models

I recall when Root...Root first.... and Shakespeare bows started appearing on the bowhunting scene (Shakespeare bought out Root bows...Ernie Root). I don't recall there being bad reviews on either. Ernie still made certain bows for Shakespeare and oversaw the manufacturing of Shakespeare bows but I don't know for how long he did.

Thanks for the Bow database. It definitely looks like the bow would be an X 19/15/16. I'm just having trouble with the size, I haven't seen any bows listed at 69" with those model #'s. I'm planning on taking it in to a local Archery shop to see what they can tell me about it. In the mean time, I'm 6'4" with 6'7" arms and I'm thinking 69" would be the right size bow. The 45# draw weight doesn't seem to be an issue at the moment as I'm fairly good shape. but what size/type of arrows should I be looking at to shoot with the bow? Oh, I also included a pic of the logo, I had a pic of the serial number? written on the outside of the bow but I accidentally deleted it. I'll try to get another one later

Shakespeare.jpg

It's an X15.

awesome and thanks. Is there anything you can tell me about it. Unfortunately I can't find any information or specs on it online

Love mine..

Are you sure on the lenth? 69 seems long for a Shakespeare. What does it measure nock to nock following along the curves? 62"?

I'll measure it that way later. I wasn't sure how to when I got it. Measuring nock to nock where the string is, measured a solid 64.75" almost 65" long. Meauring around the curvature of the bow should increase that I think.
    @ P.Fleek: That's a beautiful bow. I'd love to restore mine like that. Especially with the natural wood grain on yours. I'll get some more pics of mine up tonight. In the last couple of days I've spent untold hours online looking at Wonderbows and I can't find anything that resembles mine in either wood pattern or listed dimensions. I'm going back to the swap meet where I found this one Saturday morning to try and acquire another one or two that are supposed to be out there.

Quote Originally Posted by red44 View Post
    Are you sure on the lenth? 69 seems long for a Shakespeare. What does it measure nock to nock following along the curves? 62"?
    This might be a crazy question (I'm really new to archery). Did Shakespeare ever make any bow that long and if so, being almost 6'5" would that be about the right size for me anyway?

Shakespeare Model Info.jpgShakespeare Wonderbow.jpg
    These are the pictures I promised. I got some info from George Stout on Leatherwall. This is what he said "That bow is a mid 1960's X-15 and AMO 69" length. The same model went on to have a bigger mass riser in the late 60's and was called the X-15 Titan. It is a smooth shooter and will make you a good target bow. You didn't mention the weight of the bow, but they were normally made for target/field, and usually in the 30 to 45 pound category. At AMO 69" (will take about a 65" string)....it should be plenty smooth to your full draw. These bows were made by Shakespeare at their Kalamazoo, Michigan factory. Get the bow weighed at your draw length and we can suggest proper arrows for you to get started. You can order a 65 to 66 inch string length and twist to a brace height of 7 3/4 to 8 1/2 inches...whichever fits you best. "
    What does he mean when he says "twist to brace height of 7 3/4 or 8 1/2 inches" I asked over there too, but no response yet. This bow has juiced to start target practice

Here is a video (the only one I could find at the moment) explaining what the brace height is and how and why you adjust the height. It's a poor representation regarding how to string a bow..DO NOT STRING A BOW AS SHOWN. Also there are more than just 2 adjustments to properly start the tune, but that is for a later discussion.

LINK: Setting brace height

You will need one of these brace/nock height gauges.

Start with setting brace height at max specs for the bow. On that bow I would assume that a max 8.25" to 8.50" brace would be well within the specs.

PS: DO NOT stand a bow on a tip for prolonged period. In fact, I suggest getting out of the habit of doing so.

Cool. George is a gem. Knows his stuff.
    For a guy your size you'll be pulling a bit over the printed weight. They were specked at 28". I'm 6-1, wth a 75" wing span and draw 30". You'll probably be longer than that, so I'd gues you'll be 50 or more at your draw lenth.
    He gave you a range of brace height. Where you end up depends on draw lenth, arrow spine and total arrow weight.
    Adjust it for the most quiet setting to start with. Less noise = less stress and vibes.

I have a shakespear and i love it, they are nice little bows. Shot my first deer with a recurve with one.

Awesome Red44 and WindWalker. I took it down to OC Arvhery in Fountain Valley and they checked it out. It was still rocking the original dacron string though Kevin (from OC Archery) said it was a thin one but that it wasn't missing any strands. The original string was strung up and the bow was test fired without any issue with a brace height of exactly 8" was quite a feat to get the original string twisted to that height. The varnish was original and flaking off so they suggested I sand it down and re-varnish it which I started last night with a Cabot semi-gloss spar varnish that was suggested to me by the shop for it's all weather and increased oil qualities. I sanded the wood and it was beautiful. I've got two coats on and I'm thinking 3-4 should be the right number. The wood is so much more vibrant with fresh varnish. I'm going back next week to have a new string made for it and to start shooting it. Picture of the sanded riser. I'll post the finished product when the varnish coats are dryShakespeare sanded.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by WindWalker View Post
    PS: DO NOT stand a bow on a tip for prolonged period. In fact, I suggest getting out of the habit of doing so.
    The guys at OC Archery warned me against that too, I didn't know, so I promise it won't happen again

I am a collector of Shakespeare bow. I am also having problems researching the many models made by Shakespeare, I even contacted Shakespeare but they were not able to help. about the only person still in the business from Shakespeare is Owen Jeffery - Jeffery Archery. Tried contacting them with no luck. I started a blog for Shakespeare Archery:
    http://shakespearearchery.blogspot.com/