a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milk River deer herd devastated!

Milk River deer herd devastated!

http://www.realtree.com/hunting/blog...erd-devastated

Foam~"The Patriot"Hoyt Contender Spots/Field/ASA~Hoyt Contender Hunting~Mathews DXTTru-Ball\Axcel ~ Black Eagle Arrows
    Trophy Taker ~ Center Circle Strings ~ Mid-Thumb Bowmen

Sad for sure. That place use to look like a petting zoo.
    Numbers 6:24-26
    Follow the blood trail that leads to Calvary!!!
    Team Bowtech Pro Staff, Gold Tip Pro Staff, Christian Bowhunters of GA CO-President

That Sucks......
    prime Defy
    Beman ICS Hunters 400
    Slick tricks

Thats terrible hopefull the wildlife dept. Can get it back. With a little help from them and the hunters it should rebound. Always sad to hear things like this though.
    Whitetail Fanatic

I had to quit reading... Couldint get past this-

First, the toughest winter in many, many years killed about 40-50% of the deer herd. THEN, “blue tongue” hit late summer and has killed roughly another 60-70% of the deer herd.

Maybe I just suck at remedial math but....
    Team Whack'em & Stack'em pro something or other!
    Blacke Eagle Arrows, best on the planet.

Happened to us in 07. They'll come back with proper management but it will be slow for a couple years. Hate to see that stuff happen but Nature can be a Mother sometimes!
    CBE Sights, Scott Releases, Easton Arrows, Stokerized Stabs, Vortex Optics

When deer run around like rats mother nature has a way of taking care of things....
    2013 Hoyt Spyder 30 / QAD / HHA / Easton FMJ/ Gator XP 100 & Ulmer Edge & NAP Spitfire Maxx / Scott releases /Bohning quiver/Meta peep/Swarovski/Zeiss Optic
    DON'T SPREAD MY WEALTH,SPREAD MY WORK ETHIC!!!
    The American Indians found out first hand what happens when you don't control immigration!"

Quote Originally Posted by dmgiss View Post
    Sad for sure. That place use to look like a petting zoo.
    True
    Foam~"The Patriot"Hoyt Contender Spots/Field/ASA~Hoyt Contender Hunting~Mathews DXTTru-Ball\Axcel ~ Black Eagle Arrows
    Trophy Taker ~ Center Circle Strings ~ Mid-Thumb Bowmen

Quote Originally Posted by goatboy View Post
    When deer run around like rats mother nature has a way of taking care of things....
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Steve

"It's a Navy Seal type bow. It works by pulling it back and shooting it."

That sucks.

Mother nature is a bi.....

....or...the moon is a cruel mistress.....

The Kruncher™ Deer Call - Shooting Staff
    Look deep into nature and then you will understand everything better. - Albert Einstein
    475gr/27.5/70#/252fps

Quote Originally Posted by IsHeBreathing? View Post

First, the toughest winter in many, many years killed about 40-50% of the deer herd. THEN, “blue tongue” hit late summer and has killed roughly another 60-70% of the deer herd.

I believe what they meant is the blue tongue killed 60-70% of what was left after the winter kill. Like if you started with 100 deer before winter, you were left with 60-50 deer after the kill. Then blue tongue brought that number down to 24-15 deer left. Devastating, indeed.
    Athens Factory Staff - N. KY/Cincinnati
    Nok'd Up Archery - Independence, KY
    M&M Archery - Independence, KY
    Athens Archery Stainless Steel Screw Kits
    Custom Decals, Stickers, Banners: Lowe Designs and Graphics on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by arlowe13 View Post
    I believe what they meant is the blue tongue killed 60-70% of what was left after the winter kill. Like if you started with 100 deer before winter, you were left with 60-50 deer after the kill. Then blue tongue brought that number down to 24-15 deer left. Devastating, indeed.
    That makes sense.

I went back to read the rest. While it is sad, and I dont know how big an area it is, if they were seeing 20 or so deer in the alfalfa from 1 spot, that still sounds like a lot to me. How overpopulated was it before and why does it come as a suprise that a disease can strike so hard?
    Team Whack'em & Stack'em pro something or other!
    Blacke Eagle Arrows, best on the planet.

Oh man. Mother nature is the ultimate predator. Thts too bad.
    ~RKT MAXXIS~
    }}}}------------------------------->>>> ⊙
    prescription strength bowhunting.

Even the golden goose, gets sick sometimes...
    My other bow is a Marlin 1895G 45-70 Gov't open sights
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiobooners View Post
    In all seriousness I do hope ppl understand that a deer is not worth losing your dignity over.

Jeez. I have never seen 20 whitetails in the fields at one time. There must have been hoards of them before.
    Liberalism: Saving America from the evils of hard work, personal accountability, and productivity, one brainwashed college student at a time.

BIG BENDY STICK WITH WHEELS ON THE ENDS ~ SMALL POINTY STICKS TO SHOOT AT TASTY ANIMALS ~ SHIRT WITH PICTURES OF TREES ON IT

Maybe Waddell and all the other T.V. hunters should be taking more does and not leaving tags open. I understand the winter was bad, but over population is a terrible treat as well. I try to kill at least two does a year. If you can't eat it yourself homeless shelters take it. At least my local one does. There are many people that will pay for the expense of the meat processing if you talk to them. How many of us on here get a chance to shoot a 140"+ buck more than once or every other year. It terrible that this has happened, but should we feel sorry for it.

Very sad something fo the other states to think about HUH!
    07 Vectrix Primary Bow, Axis 340's, HHA 5500, 100gr Muzzy, 09 Katera XL Backup and 3D Bow, Its not the catch or the kill its the experience! Special Thanks to Americas Best Bowstrings!

Sickenin very sad to see, I hope they get this under control

That makes sense.

I went back to read the rest. While it is sad, and I dont know how big an area it is, if they were seeing 20 or so deer in the alfalfa from 1 spot, that still sounds like a lot to me. How overpopulated was it before and why does it come as a suprise that a disease can strike so hard?
    I'm not sure if you've seen the MB videos when they hunt the Milk. But if you have you'll know that they sit on high vantage points and can see for miles. So 20 deer from the rock is horrible. Waddell said when he was there he used to see well over 100 deer from the rock.

With this said, my first thought when I first heard about the winter and ehd on the Milk was "well mother nature has her way of thinning a herd". The herd was unnaturally plentiful. They truly do need to manage it better this time around, and this is the perfect chance.
    Bear Archery Carnage
    Easton ST Epic
    Apex Gear Bone Collector
    Trophy Ridge Revolution
    Smoke Ramcat

Just like Micheal Waddell, I went to Georgia public schools. It makes sense to me.

That really sucks...

Everytime I see one of the shows where they are hunting milk river I cant believe the number of deer. Seems it was overpopulated to begin with??
    I hunt because I must. It's in me. It's in my soul !
    07 Bowtech Tribute w/ smooth mods,28.5" draw, 70#, TrophyTaker rest, Sword Twilight Hunter sights,Carbon Express Terminator Lite Hunters 28 1/4" with 100 grain broadhead = 437 grain arrow.
    G5 T3 Broadhead

When you consider the amount of food they have it is close to overpopulated. It's not like the midwest where you have tons of timber. LAcres and acres of alfalfa fields. If the there was an overpopulation problem you would be able to tell by the health of the deer.
    2006 Bowtech Tribute - 60lbs / 29"
    Copper John Dead Nuts
    Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter
    Apline Soft Loc 5 Arrow Quiver
    CX Maxima Hunter 250

If the herd was devastated that bad and there is a disease spreading through the deer like that, why would you continue hunting them? Shouldn't they give the herd a little time to get the numbers back up. Obviously they don't need to get as high as they were before because this can happen, but at least give them a break, right? And not only that but if you kill a deer don't you have to worry about getting sick from eating it since there is an obvious disease going through the area. Maybe I'm missing something.

Very sad, but it is a wild population of animals and disease acts as a limiting factor. Give it time and the population will recover.
    Hoyt Pro Comp Elite XL60x stringsAAE Pro BladeAXCEL AX3000 w/Classic scopeEaston X-10 stabsCarter OnlyEaston Arrows
    Mathews Drenalin60x stringsLimbDriverHHAB-StingerEaston Axis-N-FusedRage Hypodermic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast