a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Best place to shoot wild hogs??

Best place to shoot wild hogs??

I have been living and hunting in Texas for most of my life, and we have the oppurtunity to hunt a lot of hogs because they are everywhere. I have shot hogs with a bow everywhere you can imagine, from the head to the good old Texas heart shot. From my experience the best shot is right behind the leg and really really low, lower than you would shoot a deer. Anyone care to share experiences with shot location on pigs? Is there a fail safe shot? I have shot two pigs before in the exact same location and had one bleed out in ten yards and the other run 200, with the exact shot placement.

Harvest Brown Hoyt Nitrum 30/ Easton ACC Pro Hunting Series/ Grave Digger Broadheads
    Blackout Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30/ Easton FMJ's/ Grave Digger D6 Broadheads
    No Limit Archery Field Staff

Right about here

In the heart! Lmao i would.love to hunt em.too but we.dont have them here around the house
    Get that gata lizabeth, choot'em

NOT in the shoulder. Its like a steal wall! Lol
    Elite Energy 32 #65. Pass Thru Custom Arrow Pro Staff. Cervicide TV Staff

As you said-low, even with knuckle of front leg. I like broadside or very "slight" quarter away. I too, have had exact hits & one drop a few yds. & the other go 50-60. They are just plain TOUGH. If you shoulder them, you just make em mad. I killed my 1st in 1965 & shot him at 20 yds. (Stick bow pic) through both lungs-he charged & caught up to me falling at my feet. My 1st experience "enlightened" me on their temperment-I have been charged 7 times since & everyone was MORTALLY shot. Always respect these guys-no matter what size. I like the 50-70# size best for eating. Hog hunting can be addicting & for me, a off season trip to Tx. or Ok. is just what the Dr. orders when I'm knee deep in snow & cold. I "AM" thankful we DO NOT have them in my state-they can ruin everything else. I'll make the 13-14 hour trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Always Thankful

I have shot several just below the ear. Granted these were smaller hogs~100#~ and they dropped right there. The bigger ones I have hit one the quartering away with success. Never shot one with a mech BH. All fixed BH. Mostly muzzys and Magnus stingers. They work very well. They biggest we guessed about 225-250# which was a boar. I hit him like I would a deer. Muzzy eat him up. We walked right under my stand and I had a pass through. Meaning the arrow was hanging out both sides. That was a muzzy 3 blade 100gr. He went about 50 yards into the thicket and layed up. We could hear him for about another 45 minutes grunting. He did finally die obviously but we waited to get him. We knew exactly where he was just didnt want the get at him while he was hurt. They can be mean when theyre hurt.
    Monsterbuck2006
    PSE X Force Dream Season

i aim right below the ear ....and they Drop ....But i am shooting at 15-20 yards only -Broadside-pushing a 450 grain wasp-boss with a hoyt burner.....hogs are Very tough ....

Quote Originally Posted by ahunter55 View Post
    As you said-low, even with knuckle of front leg. I like broadside or very "slight" quarter away. I too, have had exact hits & one drop a few yds. & the other go 50-60. They are just plain TOUGH. If you shoulder them, you just make em mad. I killed my 1st in 1965 & shot him at 20 yds. (Stick bow pic) through both lungs-he charged & caught up to me falling at my feet. My 1st experience "enlightened" me on their temperment-I have been charged 7 times since & everyone was MORTALLY shot. Always respect these guys-no matter what size. I like the 50-70# size best for eating. Hog hunting can be addicting & for me, a off season trip to Tx. or Ok. is just what the Dr. orders when I'm knee deep in snow & cold. I "AM" thankful we DO NOT have them in my state-they can ruin everything else. I'll make the 13-14 hour trip.
    Cool pics man !!
    Harvest Brown Hoyt Nitrum 30/ Easton ACC Pro Hunting Series/ Grave Digger Broadheads
    Blackout Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30/ Easton FMJ's/ Grave Digger D6 Broadheads
    No Limit Archery Field Staff

Arrow shot placement is different than with a gun so becareful what you read...be sure they're talking about arrow placement. Ballistic cooeficient of a bullet is a lot greater than an arrow. For me, this eliminates head, neck shots, leaving the heart as the only viable archery target...but thats not so easy with an arrow either. I shoot for the heart on ALL hogs, regardless of size, because it's located below the thick callous "plate", behind the thinnest part of the ribcage.On a standing, walking around hog, the Heart is centered in the body cavity, exactly between the front legs, about 2-6 inches above belly line (depending on hog size). When I raise my pin(s) to shoot a hog, I think 3D, three dimensional (we're not shooting a flat paper target)....the heart is actually 6-8 inches deep inside the body cavity. I want the arrow to pass through the heart in the center of the hog, so the entry point varies with the angle I'm shooting. Quartering on or quartering away, I think of the arrow path as an x between the front legs....sometimes entering behind the near leg and exiting in front of the far leg. Quartering away, I aim for an arrow entry point immediately behind the elbow 2-6 inches above the belly line. Broadside, I raise my pin up the leg and let fly about 4" above the belly line. Again I say, you must think 3D, considering arrow penetration, not like shooting a flat paper target.