Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best archery sight for hunting?

What is the best archery sight for hunting?

I am looking to get a new bow and was wondering what sight is best for hunting. I'm going to stay with fixed pins but am open for the sights with fixed and a slider at the bottom. What do you recommend and why.

I really like my Armortech HD. Rock solid, pins are completely enclosed, awesome micro adjust system... nothing bad about it... except for having to cover the fiber window with something so the pins don't halo in direct sunlight...
    '07 Switchback XT
    '08 Truth II
    www.Starrflight.com FOB MOB

Without a doubt.

IQ

Once you have the eye set and you're hitting consistently, you can shoot your bow from ANY awkward position, angle or elevation and hit like you're on the target range!

They are expensive but the service AFTER the sale is some of the best I've ever experienced.

My shooting improved dramatically with my IQ Bowsite.

I love my Montana Gold Red Zone for the consistent brightness of the pins in all hunting lights. The enclosed fiber optics have a UV sensor that dulls the pins in bright conditions while making extra bright in very low light conditions. Not cheap but seems to work very well for me.
    If I'm not hunting then I'm planning my next hunt!!!

Alberta Sportsman - www.albertasportsman.com

I like the G5 Rock.

I like the Hogg-it Hunter Wrapped.
    '07 LH Mathew's Switchback XT, WB rest, HHA OL-5519 sight
    '10 LH Mathew's Z7, WB rest, Spott Hogg Hogg-It Hunter sight
    Rage Broadheads
    Tru-Fire Releases
    Swarovski SLC 8x42HD Field Glasses

Just bought an HHA yesterday. Time will tell.

As you can see, 5 responses and 5 different answers... Axcel, Black Gold, Spot Hogg, and the IQ are all fantastic sights, go look at all of them at a store, see the pin diameter, Black gold has the custom shop which is extremely nifty, Axcel's pins just seem too dang small for me, and I have perfect vision. Like I said its hard to beat any of them, so go look at them in the store just like you would a bow. My recommendation to you: Montana Black Gold Vengeance. Fantastic adjustability, rock solid, expensive but anything breaks they replace it for free. Hard to beat that.
    2014 Hoyt Carbon Spyder 83#
    2014 Hoyt Pro Edge Elite 60#
    2013 Hoyt Pro Comp Elite 60#
    2011 PSE Omen Pro 80#
    2007 Bowtech Tribute

Go Peepless!

www.perrysnopeep.com Don't agree after using Perrys No Peep..I will give you your $ back,Thanks Perry Williams

stationed in Biloxi, MS, from Minocqua, WI
    if you want a sight w/ pins id do similar to the sight set up i have on my bow...i have a 4 pin flashpoint head on a bg ascent slider frame...so i have 4 fixed pins(out to 60 w/ my bow) and then can use the bottom pin for shots farther....and i use an anchor sight instead of a peep...seems to be a good change so far
    CM2(scw) USN NMCB 74
    2010 PSE omen 28/60, BG ascent 3 pin surge head, LD, anchor sight, cx piledriver hunter .350 w/ fobs,trufire edge 4 ,tightspot, muzzy
    Team Whack 'Em & Stack 'Em Hunting Staff **chief squaw stealer aka the resident bouncer ***

Spot Hogg hunter. I shot my elk in very low light this year and the pins really lit up well. Mainly purchased the sight for it's durability. Very tough site.

Got a Black Gold Rush and really like it. No complaints and already outlasted the Extreme that was on my bow last year.

I much prefer a moveable sight with 2 pins in the scope. Best of both worlds though I have been experimenting with shooting no pin. So far its been great!

As you can see you will get a lot of opinions. Lots of varability and good sights on the market. These days I like a sight that has the capability for micro elevation and windage adjustments. I've used an Apex Axim 6-pin (0.01 pins) last year and it is on my Alphaburner for this season. This sight has a smaller housing and works best with 1/8" diameter peep. Sight has a light and I have never had a problem in low light levels.

Getting ready to set-up a blacked out CRX 35 as soon as it comes. My buddy has talked me into tyring out the TR Hitman on this bow. Sight housing is pretty large so I will likely go with 1/4" peep. We'll see how it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by yhudson View Post
    Spot Hogg hunter. I shot my elk in very low light this year and the pins really lit up well. Mainly purchased the sight for it's durability. Very tough site.

Curious, did you have it wrapped or add addition fiber optic? I had a hunter hogg it and really like the precision and toughness of the site...very well made. However, I had to add fiber optic through clear tubing to see the pins in low light. Could be that my eye sight in my late 30s is not what it use to be.

Honestly, anything not cast imo. Anything machined with good, bright fibers and a nice area will do. Im not brand specific on any particular one. Ive used Viper, Extreme, TR, etc. As long as there is sufficient room to see, I think they all would work.

Any of the Black Gold Flashpoints (Flashpoint, Rush, AMP, HD, Redzone,Surge, Vengeance, etc) will give you the brightest pins w/o halo effect due to the photochromatic shell. They are solid as a rock, have a lifetime warranty, and their Customer Service is outstanding. My choice for hunting sights.
    '13 PSE DNA 30" 60# 315 fps, Gold Tip Pro Hunter 5575
    09 Elite GT500 29.6" 66# 307 fps -Stage 1 Strings - Tater Tuned!
    Maxima Hunter 350 - Blue Streak Selects 350 Summit Treestands
    Slick Trick Mags, Treelimb Premium Quiver,
    "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength."

Quote Originally Posted by Barlow View Post
    Curious, did you have it wrapped or add addition fiber optic? I had a hunter hogg it and really like the precision and toughness of the site...very well made. However, I had to add fiber optic through clear tubing to see the pins in low light. Could be that my eye sight in my late 30s is not what it use to be.
    It came with the wrapped housing. Without that I imagine the pins would not be nearly as bright.

G5 xr2 single pin with a slider
    Quote Originally Posted by smallowl33 View Post
    I am looking to get a new bow and was wondering what sight is best for hunting. I'm going to stay with fixed pins but am open for the sights with fixed and a slider at the bottom. What do you recommend and why.

Mainly your choice, and a lot of good ones out there...here are some more to choose from. Good luck in your decision.

Fixed Pins.....Sword Maximus, Sword Twilight Hunter
    Fixed Pin and adjustable (use your bottom pin and adjust for farther shots)...Sword Trident Hunter.
    Slider....Sword Centurion

Quote Originally Posted by Okie101 View Post
    Mainly your choice, and a lot of good ones out there...here are some more to choose from. Good luck in your decision.

Fixed Pins.....Sword Maximus, Sword Twilight Hunter
    Fixed Pin and adjustable (use your bottom pin and adjust for farther shots)...Sword Trident Hunter.
    Slider....Sword Centurion
    Yes the Centurion is a heck of a solid slider...Right there with some the HHA since it has 2nd & 3rd axis. Fiber brightness works right up to or past dark. With it's 3 light settings and a string splitter I shoot in the dark sometimes in my back yard by the light of solar powered landscape lighting..

After two bows and 5 yrs of daily shooting and hunting I can honestly say my spothog hogit is going on my next hunting bow, it still has no dings or scratches and my bows have many. It still adjusts like it did the day I bought it and all the original fibres are still perfect. I have been through many other accessories and this sight still looks new even though the others have been given away.

Spot Hogg without a doubt. I have the real deal with the wrap and light. Excellent sight. Very durable and the pin fibers are well protected so a branch cant sneak in and break a fiber. I go on week long hunts and the last thing I want is a broken 20 yd pin.
    Mathews Outback

If it's brown it's down.

spott hogg has the best sights out there and customer service

Quote Originally Posted by talon1961 View Post
    Any of the Black Gold Flashpoints (Flashpoint, Rush, AMP, HD, Redzone,Surge, Vengeance, etc) will give you the brightest pins w/o halo effect due to the photochromatic shell. They are solid as a rock, have a lifetime warranty, and their Customer Service is outstanding. My choice for hunting sights.
    ^^^^ this .... or HHa optimizer. Their sights and cs are great too
    BOWTECH INVASION CPX 61Lb 28"
    Rip Cord Code Red. HHA OL-5510
    Hoyt pro quiver. CE Maxima
    Shuttle T's (Seth & Whitey tested-dead critter approved)
    Blood Vanes by Outer Limit Achery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast