a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: RW or LW Feathers

RW or LW Feathers

I need to buy some feathers. How do I know whether I want right wing or left wing feathers? I shoot a long bow, but I have never re-fletched those arrows. I also want to start shooting feathers on my compound bow arrows.

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
    Acts 16:31 "Fish for Jesus"

Generally speaking, right handed guys shoot left wing and left handed guys shoot right wing.
    Sent via my Nokia Windows phone...I finally upgraded.

Do you already have a fletching jig? If the jig has a right helical clamp, then you need to buy right wing feathers, & vice versa. They feathers have to match the clamp.

Right wing feathers for right helical?

I don't have a jig yet. my friend has a right helical jig. I guess I need right wing feathers.

Right wing feathers only work in a RW or straight clamp. Left wing feathers only work in a LW or straight clamp.

But trad shooters shoot what I posted above for fletching clearance with the riser/shelf.

Not a feather expert but I've never heard left wing for RH shooters and right wing for LH shooters. The only difference between the two is the way the feather collapses in flight. For a right wing feather you need the angle going to the right and the opposite for left wing, that way the feather collapse in flight. Years ago I've shot both left and right wing and they always flew the same as long as the feather did not fight the wind. Just like when the feather is still on the bird, on the down stroke the feather fights the wind and on the up stroke the feather collapse allowing the bird to stay in flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph McCluske View Post
    Not a feather expert but I've never heard left wing for RH shooters and right wing for LH shooters. The only difference between the two is the way the feather collapses in flight. For a right wing feather you need the angle going to the right and the opposite for left wing, that way the feather collapse in flight. Years ago I've shot both left and right wing and they always flew the same as long as the feather did not fight the wind. Just like when the feather is still on the bird, on the down stroke the feather fights the wind and on the up stroke the feather collapse allowing the bird to stay in flight.
    It doesn't matter with compounds at all, but it does with traditional setups.

Thanks guys.