Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best long hunting bow for long range accuracy?

Best long hunting bow for long range accuracy?

Just wondering opinions on the more accurate bows out to 80yds or so? I just killed my first deer with a bow, and i did it with my evo at 78yds. Just wondering what yall with experience shooting many bows have found to be the more accurate or stable bows for taking long shot?

I am very confident with my pse, and i have a cousing who can shoot 6" groups at 80 yds as well consistently with his carbon matrix.

I am looking at getting a different second bow to compliment my pse evo and thought i would see what others had to say.

LOVE my evo, super smooth, fast, almost tempted to buy an axe 7 as my backup ; ]
    2011 PSE Dream Season EVO Skullz camo 70lb_ trophy ridge revolution, mbg ascent 1 pin
    Victory VAP

Elite GT500 is very accurate out to 80 yards, but I wouldn't take a hunting shot that long
    Pine Hollow Longbows - Medicine Man, BADASS!

Congrats, But I don't think I would take that long of a shot at a live deer.

This is a thinly disguised peepee swinging thread. I will not congratulate anyone on a 80yd shot at a live animal, let alone a new hunter.
    Love my arrows from South Shore Archery!
    GT Pro Hunters with helical SK300 vanes, some with glow-in-dark vanes.
    In the dimmer moments, they bore BIG green holes from bow to target

Yep.

EDIT First deer? 78 yards, clean kill, you need to go buy a lottery ticket and then donate your winnings to the bowhunter's education group of your choice and attend the first class.

But, to answer your question. All bows are capable of accurately shooting to 80 yards. It's all the other variables in the mix that make it a low percentage shot.

Wow!
    Archery makes my shaft quiver.

OP...

If people arent as good as you they tend to bash you for doing what they cant do. Just ask Levi Morgan....

Congrats on your awesome shot!!

I suggest the Elite Pure for a great long range bow...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Strother
    I'm adding you to my slander, defamation of character lawsuit, I'm really tired of all the BS you and L-Train spread so you both will be added to the proceedings and named as a defendant.

Have a great one.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepFried View Post
    OP...

If people arent as good as you they tend to bash you for doing what they cant do. Just ask Levi Morgan....

Congrats on your awesome shot!!

I suggest the Elite Pure for a great long range bow...
    There is a big difference in luck (new hunter) and skill aquired by years of experience. This doesn't come down to the shooter's ability on targets in the backyard but his experience at shooting deer. I'll willingly bash him and the irresponsible hunter who "taught" him to have no more respect for the game than that.

I don't normally chime in on these threads and I firmly believe that ethics is a personal decision based on your personal experience and tolerance for risk honed along the way. This case is outside the norm and qualifies as no more than a hail mary. I don't care who you are.....and I'd go out on a limb and guess that Levi wouldn't want to be drug into this......there is no comparison.

thanks deep friend. lol I have been shooting almost daily since december. It isnt like i just flung an arrow and a prayer ; ] But yes it is a more risky shot, and i would not always take it. However, mule deer that arent spooked dont jump the string like a whitetail, and at 80yds, the bow is even quieter. He never even moved when i shot, and i took a good long while to make sure the shot was NOT rushed. I know people out west here taking clean kills on mule deer out to 100yds. With a bow shooting 310fps, it doesnt take that long to get there. It may not be ethical all the time, but i felt it was in this situation, and it played out well so...

elite? I will have to look into that. No elite dealers around here. How do they feel compared to alien or pse?
    2011 PSE Dream Season EVO Skullz camo 70lb_ trophy ridge revolution, mbg ascent 1 pin
    Victory VAP

Its my first deer with a bow... ive been hunting for 15 years and taken 11 deer from 30-450yds with a rifle.
    Victory VAP

i shoot my bow madness xl at long distance great

i dont mean to brag... just asking questions. I didnt ask if you thought i was stupid. but i suppose i should have left the details out if i didnt want to be bashed.
    Victory VAP

One of the main reasons i am asking about long range accuracy... i was reading a post in which one of the posters said that shooting a crx, the bow was very accurate until he got out to farther distances. Perhaps thought this was a form issue of compatability with that archer, as the crx looks like it would be a pretty accurate bow.
    Victory VAP

Nice shot. My Axe 6 is deadly accurate out to 100.
    2014 Elite E35 70/28, Trophy Taker Smackdown, HHA slider sight, Beman Speed 300's, Bee Stinger Hunter Extreme Stabilizer.
    2014 Hoyt Faktor Turbo 69/28, QAD HDX rest, fuse carbon blade stabilizer. MBG Acsent 5-pin, Gold Tip Hunter XT 300s.

The Elite Pure is incredibly stable. It has enough speed to push an arrow down range with good KE. Its one of the smoothest bows as well.

36''s AtA. 7'' BH. 330 IBO.
    I'm adding you to my slander, defamation of character lawsuit, I'm really tired of all the BS you and L-Train spread so you both will be added to the proceedings and named as a defendant.

Have a great one.

Saw a couple of guys playing at a 3D shoot this weekend stacking arrows at 100yds in a honey bear
    both had AM32s
    "Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you will help them become what they are capable of becoming." -- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

Defending MY "right" to eat the bodies of nonhuman victims of violence.

mopar that nice... I was mainly interested in an alphamax, crx, maxxis, or matrix... dunno why, maybe its the brand messaging, maybe its becuase there are a ton of guys out here that shoot them, but i think mostly its the finish and desing on the bows. I hear alot of guys that love the hoyt for accuracy.

Gotta say though, i am super impressed with my pse accuracy for a speed bow with 6" bh.
    Victory VAP

will someone pass the salt please.
    ~ GOD, Family, Country ~
    Hoyt CRX32

The problem I would have with shooting 80 yds is not my shooting ability, but with what will the deer do in the next instant. At 310 fps it takes your arrow over 3/4 of a second to reach the deer, and a lot can happen with a deer in 3/4 sec. Just because the deer stood stone still for the previous minute does not mean a thing, one step and you have a gut shot.
    I actually had a doe standing 25 yds away left broadside to me and killed her with a shot in the right side of the head. Just as I released she decided to lick her left flank or turned to look behind her, her head came around and I hit just behind the right eye. Now she probably started the movement prior to release but since I was concentrating on the chest I didn't see it, in any case it took my blazing 150fps arrow nearly a half of a second to reach her and my target had changed completely.

I'm not a long range shooter and this may be an ignorant question but why would one bow be better for long range shooting than another? It would seem to me that if the bow is tuned properly, after the first 10-15 yards the arrow trajectory would be stable and all variation would be due to arrow inconsistencies, (ignoring wind or other external factors that will be the same for any bow).

I practice daily as well. For at least a solid hour. If you put the work in to be able to take long shots then when the time comes it will pay off.

There is no place for Ethics in Bowhunting to some extent.

Have a great one.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepFried View Post
    I practice daily as well. For at least a solid hour. If you put the work in to be able to take long shots then when the time comes it will pay off.

There is no place for Ethics in Bowhunting to some extent.
    I thought my statements were inflammatory but your's is undoubtedly worse. How can there be no place for ethics in bowhunting?

I'm willing to bet that we see a whole lot of things from the opposite end of the spectrum.

I kill at 1,000 yards

Quote Originally Posted by tmorelli View Post
    I thought my statements were inflammatory but your's is undoubtedly worse. How can there be no place for ethics in bowhunting?

I'm willing to bet that we see a whole lot of things from the opposite end of the spectrum.
    Ethics don't matter a whole lot. What's "ethical" varies by country, region, state, county and even amongst individuals. Let's not sugar coat stuff here....we ARE doing the least ethical thing possible as we shove a razor blade tipped arrow through the vital organs of a living creature. Just keep that in mind during ethics conversations.
    Sent via my 1918 Bell hand crank phone

There are ethics in everything, and debating yours and and mine are pointless.

They want to take ethics out of business classes saying "there is no ethics is business" - then when you end up with things like Enron and everyones shocks and asks how could this happen.

Let's get back to the topic...ethics is not what the OP wants to hear about; if so he would've asked.

Anyways, long range accuracy will all depend on how the bow fits the shooter. Generally, a longer ata, higher brace height bow with a straight-ish riser will work well. By longer ata, I'd personally say a minimum of 35" if your serious about long range hunting bows...all of which the AM, Maxxis, Crx, and CM offer. I'd personally take a look at the Maxxis or Crx as apposed to the lighter weight carbon risers. Not that there's anything wrong with carbon risers, but I'd think a heavier riser would hold steadier for you than something super light weight.

Also consider stabilizers as they play a huge effect also. I'd check out the Doinker DISH and B-stingers for good hunting stabs that offer decent amounts of weight and good, stiff carbon fiber.
    Bowtech SentinelGoldtip Ultralights...Axcel Armortech HD...B-Stinger Premiere Plus

And he said to them, "Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness,
    for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."
    Luke 12:15

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast