Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: light that wont spook deer

light that wont spook deer

im thinking about another flashlight. ive got one that has red and blue filters with it. i haven't tried the blue,but the red seems to spook the deer almost as much as the white. the one im looking at has a setting for white and one for green. ive heard guys talk of using the green for hog hunting to keep from spooking them. is it the same for deer?

I use a green light for going to the stand and i haven't spooked one so far

I use a green light. I've heard it doesn't spook them, but not sure if that is true or not.

so far so good. anyone try a blue light? or amber?

Am not sure how much light spooks deer I mean they will stay in front of a flash camera and not spook. So why should a little LED light spook them?

Deer are going to see any light from a flashlight that we can see. You can use a red light so your night vision isn't compromised but deer can still see it.
    Steve

"It's a Navy Seal type bow. It works by pulling it back and shooting it."

Actually there is data that proves green light spooks deer the least of ANY other color. The government actually payed people to go beamshot deer with different colored lasers and record the information. Deer do not see Green, it's actually Grey to them. I have never had a problem spooking deer with Red or Green filters.

Ditto!

Very dim.

Quote Originally Posted by Spywell View Post
    Actually there is data that proves green light spooks deer the least of ANY other color. The government actually payed people to go beamshot deer with different colored lasers and record the information. Deer do not see Green, it's actually Grey to them. I have never had a problem spooking deer with Red or Green filters.
    What about when there is a man attached to the light? I would think they can see you about as good as if you was walking in at noon.

Quote Originally Posted by dac View Post
    What about when there is a man attached to the light? I would think they can see you about as good as if you was walking in at noon.
    Yup.

Probably the person holding the light more than the light itself

I'd like to see the data you mentioned. Did the researchers ask the deer? I can shine regular white light at deer and they just stand there. Hence the saying, "Like a deer in the headlights"

I don't think it's the light that runs deer off...
    Steve

"It's a Navy Seal type bow. It works by pulling it back and shooting it."

light that won't spook deer.....the moon...end of story.

Theres a statistic that says 60% of the time it works everytime.
    prescription strength bowhunting.
    Minimum dose of 15 arrows a day. Doctors Orders!!
    }}}------------------->>>

I love green. I have deer let me walk right by them with a small green hat light on.

Yes to add to this, I've heard and read that deer see blue very well.Again,don't for sure if this is true but......it's the word on the street.

I don't know but I had 15 deer under my stand a week ago that hung around until after dark. I hit them with the white light from my stand and they didn't pay it any attention. I even made some noise and they just kept right on doing what they were. I finally just climbed down and walked out.
    2013 Elite Answer

U.S Army Combat Engineer 96-99 "ESSAYONS"

I use white and never had a problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mathews Z7 - classic
    Hoyt Vector 32 - Bone Collector
    Hoyt Spyder 30

I am not sure, but in most cases I think it is the person they are spooked by not the light. How many times have you beamed a deer with headlights and they don't care?

The one thing about colored light is obviously it is not as bright, just make sure what you are using you can see where you are going. I think it is better to use more light to walk quieter than less light and raise a ruckus walking.

Quote Originally Posted by rutjunky View Post
    Theres a statistic that says 60% of the time it works everytime.
    It's true...

With the Sex Panther TM green and red headlamp, "It covers all your bases most of the time."
    My other bow is a Marlin 1895G 45-70 Gov't open sights
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiobooners View Post
    In all seriousness I do hope ppl understand that a deer is not worth losing your dignity over.

Quote Originally Posted by dac View Post
    Am not sure how much light spooks deer I mean they will stay in front of a flash camera and not spook. So why should a little LED light spook them?
    I'm thinking the same thing. My headlights are a heck of a lot brighter than a flashlight and deer seem to like the headlights. I know a lot of people that got them with a car.
    Jim Litmer VP Sales www.thirdhandarchery.com 1-800-339-0232
    International customers please order by email thirdhandinc@twc.com

The original Made in the USA

We hope you have a safe successful hunting season.

Quote Originally Posted by bobabuoy View Post
    light that won't spook deer.....the moon...end of story.
    Infra Red. Can light em up with it and they get real bright through the NV scope. Also works for bear, yotes and piggies. Course, you can only shoot the piggies and yotes.

White light. I just get to my spot as quickly as I can and try not to spook too many deer. Red, white, black or blue....if the deer is directly in your path, you're going to scare it away.

I've got a Streamlight (cant remember the name of it) that has blue on it. SO far, no problems using it to and from the stand.
    2014 Strother SX Rush, 67lb/29.5", Vaportrail LimbDriver Pro-V, HHA DSL-5019, Trophy Ridge Static 9" stab
    BLACK EAGLE ARROWS Pro Staff
    VAPORTRAIL ARCHERY Pro Staff
    Pure Heart Outdoors is on Facebook!! www.facebook.com/pureheartoutdoors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast