Thread: Bear Carnage Cam / Limb Failures?

Bear Carnage Cam / Limb Failures?

Anyone know anything about the Carnage bows breaking cams (wheels?) and limbs failing?

I've got one that shoots great. (given the limited shooting I've been able to do with it) ~ Bear already had a recall for it which required a factory fix & I just got it back. (LH Carnage bows had assembly issues.)

Anyways... I have a friend who knows several hunters who have had all sorts of problems with their 2011 Bear Carnage bows.... Needless to say, he's got me a bit concerned. Wheels (or cams, not sure) have failed on two of the bows, and another one blew a limb. (He's pretty sure they are all right handed bows.) The one that blew the limb was definitely RH.

PS: This isn't BS, and the guys who had the problems really like/liked the bows.
    --------------------------------
    "RoadTrips" Tree Saddle, Muddy Sticks & Petzl Aiders?..... "A Killer Combo!"
    My limbs are just fine.... Unlike the '02 TomKat that "detonated" (limbs failed twice) many years ago!

weve had a few problems with them, a boy bought one at dicks and they pressed it with a press that wasnt supposed to be used on it. it warped the riser and broke all 4 limbs. they sent him a new bow. i put it in a sureloc ez press to set it up just like i always do with the limb adapters. all 4 limbs broke again while the bow was in the press. i mean broke in half. i talked to a tech at bear and he told me to send the bow back, because they were having limb problems and he wanted to check the bow out to see if the riser was ok. he said the limbs were failing in a press if they were going to fail. these are by far the hardest bows to press ive ever worked on and now im a little concerned about pressing them. ive pressed alot of them with the sureloc and hadnt had one problem until this one bow but still it makes me uneasy. i have had to tie them in sometimes because they want to slip down when you start pressing them but this is the first one i did have break. looking at the limbs where they broke, they have alot of pores, like airpockets in the limbs themselves and i wonder if its not the problem ,causing weak spots. they are supposedly working on it though, so we will find out.

ive had mine since june, hundreds of shots through it and no problems
    2011 Bear Anarchy Shadow Edition : 66lbs, 29"
    GoldTip Velocity Arrows, NAP Apache Stabilizer, Trophy Ridge React Sight, Trophy Ridge Revolution Arrow Rest

The only thing I heard of was the assembly issue with the LH. That was being taken care of though. Hoytman is right, these bows are very hard to press. It's not hard to screw it up even when your using the right equipment. The extreme curve of the limbs and the fact that they are beyond parallel makes it tricky. I can imagine that even if the limbs didn't break in the press, pressing it wrong could weaken the limbs making them more susceptible to breaking the next time they are pressed. I'd also assume (this is just speculation) that any cam or wheel issues would be a result of incorrect pressure caused by damaged limbs. Cams are just machined pieces of aluminum; what could really go wrong with them unless some unintentional torque is being applied to the point where they fail. Either way, if there is a problem, I have no doubt Bear will take care of everyone. One thing they really have going for them is great customer service.

A local shop here talked me out of even trying their Carnage due to problems that they had experienced with limb failures. They could have been press problems for all I know. Of course when I mentioned this on one of the other threads I was flamed as one of the dumbest things they had ever heard on AT. I just appretiated the honesty of the sales person to give me their opinion. I have nothing against Bear or anyone that shoots them. I've even shot next to a guy that was putting up fantastic groups with a Carnage and that was why I wanted to try one myself. Maybe next year when they sort a few things out.

yeah , i tell you i was just as mad as the guy was when his bow broke right there in the press. i couldnt figure out how in the world that it happened, but the fellow at bear was helpful and im sure they will straighten things out. the only way i see the cams getting damaged is if a bow slips in the press and causes one of the arms on the press to apply pressure to the cam, because like i said i did have problems with the bows slipping until i figured out how to rig them in the press with rope so they couldnt. i hope they come out with some better way to press these bows in the future .

Thanks everyone. I feel a little better now. Having had a b/t lower limb explode on me during target practice years ago always makes me a bit weary whenever I hear about limb issues... I'm actually glad that my bow went back to Bear, since they are the ones who pressed it last to do the LH fix.

This bow definitely shoots tight groups! (It shot tight & consistent groups even prior to me realizing the cable was rubbing the cam.) Even so, it sounds like this bow is going to be trouble when it needs string replacement / adjustment........ I'm thinking this will be a "one string bow" for me unless the bow press issues are resolved.
    My limbs are just fine.... Unlike the '02 TomKat that "detonated" (limbs failed twice) many years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenLimbs View Post
    Thanks everyone. I feel a little better now. Having had a b/t lower limb explode on me during target practice years ago always makes me a bit weary whenever I hear about limb issues... I'm actually glad that my bow went back to Bear, since they are the ones who pressed it last to do the LH fix.

This bow definitely shoots tight groups! (It shot tight & consistent groups even prior to me realizing the cable was rubbing the cam.) Even so, it sounds like this bow is going to be trouble when it needs string replacement / adjustment........ I'm thinking this will be a "one string bow" for me unless the bow press issues are resolved.
    I have already had the strings replaced on my carnage and as long as it is pressed correctly (we used an EZ press with the adapters) there is no issue with string replacement. My carnage has been pressed many times with the same press for adjusting cables and installing a peep. Just make sure the proper equipment is used and there will be no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by edmondsmatt View Post
    I have already had the strings replaced on my carnage and as long as it is pressed correctly (we used an EZ press with the adapters) there is no issue with string replacement. My carnage has been pressed many times with the same press for adjusting cables and installing a peep. Just make sure the proper equipment is used and there will be no problem.
    Good to know. Thank you!