a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Badlands Sacrifice

Thumbs up Badlands Sacrifice

I've read some of the threads on backpacks and saw good honest reviews of some of their equipment. I thought I share my thoughts on the Badlands Sacrifice.

I pretty sure I pushed it to the limits with this pack. I went from Sunday to Sunday with this pack. Granted I split some of the equipment with my buddy to save on space but by lashing the tent, pad, and sleeping bag onto the outside of the pack for the hike in and the hike out I made it for seven days. On the hike in and the hike out it was not overloaded and after sinching in the wastebelt as much s possible it road well and comfortable. The pack was at 48 lbs with 2 liters of water.

During day hikes, I thought it colapes down very well. I typically took rain gear, water, emergency equip (which was the size of two sandwich baggies), food for the day, and water. It kept a low profile and was pretty quiet and easy to hike with during the hunts. I know I've heard reports of the Sacrifice being noisy, but maybe since I hunt in an area with lots of pinebeetle kill and lots of needles and twigs are on the ground, being quiet is not an option unless it just rained.

I did have the oportunity to haul out quarters of elk meat with this pack as well. We deboned the meat and had five full loads per animal with each load being 45-60 lbs. Due to the placement of the compression straps, I felt that it held the load in place well. In excess of 60 lbs the pack did begin to squeak around the coated metal frame. Of course comfort level did go down but in my limited experience with different packs I've never been full comfortable while hauling meat. It performed well enough that I left the frame pack at the truck instead of swapping them out for load hauling.

Due to an odd situation, I had the "opportunity" to haul two quarters at the same time for a little over 2.5 miles. That absolutely maxed out the capacity of the bag. Of course the bag was very noisy with sqeaks and it road too low on my back and began digging into my hips and butt while traveling. All seams held. Basically the pack took the load better than I did. I'm 5'9" 160lbs and it was all I could do to get to camp. I would not recommend to anyone to put the bag and more importantly yourself through that. I did not feel good after that debaucle. I only did it because my buddy was really struggling with his load and I wanted to save time.

Bottom line, I'm happy with the purchase. I'm on a budget and felt that I got my moneys worth. Perhaps the Kifaru bags, KUIU packs or some of the other manufactures have a slightly better product, but the sacrifice did all that I asked of it without issue.

Feel free to post your experiences with your pack and the pros/cons.

i didnt pack meat with mine, got a pack frame for that, but i loved it. exceeded my expectations in all areas except one, noise. and, i didnt have any noise until the pack got fairly dirty (lot of dust in the air, we base camped near a gravel road. after a few days of the dust, started making some noise. otherwise i love it.
    OZONICS- proof that with leased land, and enough technology, even Tom Nelson and Jay Gregory can actually kill something.

I haven't owned a Sacrifice, but I had a 2800 for a brief period this early season and hated it. I didn't like the squeaking, how high it rode, lack of ability to organize stuff, just general fit overall. I only bought it because I had heard how everyone loved theirs, and I was trying to help out a friend. I guess I just have a "Blacks Creek back".

I here you on the organization. I've had a hard time utilizing all the specialized compartments of other bags IMO. The Sacrifice is basically a big sack with four side compartments and a lid. I just got good at remembering where stuff was so I didn't have to rip everything out to get to it. I could also see if you have a longer torso than mine that it might not be as comfortable.

I've used the 2200, and I thought that thing was a horse for it's size.

Whitey, what pack did you use, and what did you like or dislike about it.

I have a BC Canadian, like a 3800ci pack, the older model. I've had up to 80# in it with no issues whatsoever. Only problem, if you want to call it that, is it weighs like 8# empty, so with a gallon of water and everything else it comes in at 32#. A lot of weight for an afternoon hunt, which is what I find myself doing lately. I was thinking that the 2800 would be a nice light pack that could haul some weight if necessary. I think it's not a terrible pack, just not for me.

Thanks for the review. I used my new Sacrifice on four different outings this year, between 3 and 5 days each. I loved it. Heavier loads got a bit less comfortable, as expected. I did do one hike of 15 miles over very rough terrain and a 2000 ft elevation change, when the pack weighed 45 lbs. Great pack!
    "His arrow will flash like lightning." Zechariah 9:14
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 30, CBE Tek Hybrid sight, QAD Ultra Rest HDX, Injexion Arrows & Blazers, QAD Exodus broadheads, TightSpot quiver, Stokerized SS1 stabilizer, Spot Hogg Wiseguy release, Zeiss Conquest HD binocs, Leica 1000R rangefinder, Kifaru Timberline 2 pack, Bark River Gunny Hunter blade, Kuiu clothing, Lowa Cevedale boots

Buddy of mine just returned from a backpack sheep hunt.He bought a Kuiu 6000 for the trip. He said he riped the pack extension on the top when loading gear just by pulling hard. He also said the shoulder straps kept slipping while hikeing so he constantly was thghtening them.The pack material started to ware small holes in the bottom of the pack by the end of the trip from rocks when glassing. Also was pretty sweaky between the hip belt and frame when hiking. So for me this back is a no go. I would look long and hard at kifaru of mystery ranch.

Quote Originally Posted by MULEY CRAZY View Post
    Buddy of mine just returned from a backpack sheep hunt.He bought a Kuiu 6000 for the trip. He said he riped the pack extension on the top when loading gear just by pulling hard. He also said the shoulder straps kept slipping while hikeing so he constantly was thghtening them.The pack material started to ware small holes in the bottom of the pack by the end of the trip from rocks when glassing. Also was pretty sweaky between the hip belt and frame when hiking. So for me this back is a no go. I would look long and hard at kifaru of mystery ranch.
    I've eyeballed the MR's but the weight kept me away. The lighter my day pack can get the better I hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhuntr64 View Post
    Thanks for the review. I used my new Sacrifice on four different outings this year, between 3 and 5 days each. I loved it. Heavier loads got a bit less comfortable, as expected. I did do one hike of 15 miles over very rough terrain and a 2000 ft elevation change, when the pack weighed 45 lbs. Great pack!
    2000ft is alot! I pounded 20 (2 - 10 mile round trips on Saturday) but that was only 800 ft difference and down hill when loaded up.