a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peep rotation

Angry Peep rotation

I think this has already been talked about, but how do fix my peep from over rotating? I took it to my local dealer and he could not fix it. ***? Im shooting a 2010 z7 with about 150 shots on it. Using a meta blu peep. This caused me to miss a 4x4 white tail (8 pointer if your from the south!). It was all good, then as luck had it when i pulled back all I could see was the blu of my peep. Any help would be great. Thanks guy's and gals.

Maxwell112

The dealer should have been able to take a half twist out or add a half twist to your string to bring your peep to center. I did this with mine but you have to have a bow press.
    07 Bowtech Allegiance - Trophy Taker Smack Down Pro- HHA 5519 - Scott shark release
    Catback Quiver W/Easton ACC Pro Hunters

try moving your D-loop and having the dealer tighten it down. Thats what most peep rotation is from, the d-loop has slipped or always slips when you draw.

Quote Originally Posted by Splix View Post
    try moving your D-loop and having the dealer tighten it down. Thats what most peep rotation is from, the d-loop has slipped or always slips when you draw.
    do what?
    I can eat 50 eggs

yep just move your d-loop and re-tighten and you will be back in business

I'm sorry, but adjusting your d-loop is a quick remedy, not a cure, for your problem. Your string is stretching and you need to add twists to keep it in spec and keep your peep aligned properly. Setting your peep at rest won't give you the full story, either. Sometimes strings will rotate slightly as you draw, especially when they are still stretching. Regardless of where the peep is facing at rest, draw the bow and determine how many twists you need to align the peep. It may be facing off in one direction at rest, and look all out of whack, but you're not looking through it at rest.
    Athens Accomplice 34 28/70 Green Fade, Athens eXcell 28/60 black/purple, Athens eXcell 28/60 black/red
    True Spot Scopes, Hot Shot Releases, Dead Center Archery Products
    Hamskea Archery Solutions, BCBow Designs, Tree Silencer, LTL Acorn Outdoors

If these are the original Mathews strings, they don't have a good reputation. If the string hasn't settled down in 150 shots, it's a poorly made string or there is damage. A properly made & correctly installed string shouldn't twist like that, ever, not from the first arrow. Get some new strings.

A peep doesn't just start twisting for no reason. Did your shop check for a broken strand under the serving. If he didn't, you might want to look for another shop.

Allen

"Eins, Zwei, Zuffa!"
    Mathews Switchback XT 28" DL
    MBG Radiant, Whisker Biscuit, String Splitter
    Strikers/Tricks/Blazers, Aero Hunter and World's Best Strings

I shoot the same thing & like one said the dealer should have turned your string & that problem will be fixed.

U hit the nail on the head i got 3 buddy's who got new z7s and all have had the same problem their strings SUCK they put custom strings on them all good now !!! It kills me the money we spend on bows we shouldnt half to deal with this crap with any bow,but MATHEWS is the worse i have seen in a long time for sure!!
    Quote Originally Posted by aread View Post
    If these are the original Mathews strings, they don't have a good reputation. If the string hasn't settled down in 150 shots, it's a poorly made string or there is damage. A properly made & correctly installed string shouldn't twist like that, ever, not from the first arrow. Get some new strings.

A peep doesn't just start twisting for no reason. Did your shop check for a broken strand under the serving. If he didn't, you might want to look for another shop.

Allen

Buy a new string.
    Rigginuts

"Take away a mans dreams and you will take away his soul" me

Look at the T.R.U. Ball Speed Loop with peep aligner. I have a good custom string on my bow and after 2 different bow shops installing and re-installing my peep it was still turning on me. The peep aligner solved my problem.

Along the same lines as JPW77's answer, you can also look at the various metal D-loops, such as the Ultra-Nock. Many years ago, I used one to bring my peep around to the right alignment at full draw. This was before I learned that the proper fix is to put it in a press and either add twists to the string, or and flip a strand from one side of the peep to the other.
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
    misadventuregear.com

Get another dealer to work on y9ur bow. If you have a press, first observe how much your peep is off and in what direction. This is important as the peep rotates when you loosen the string in the press. say it is 1/4 turn off to your right. Put in press and release tension, remove string from cam (either one, I like to use the bottom one)m then place the string on the cam and pull as hard as you can, then keeping tension on the string rotate the string where the peep is slanting away from you when holding the bow in an upright position.. Then smooth out the string behind the hand putting tension on it ensuring the peep is straight and vertical. Then, holding the loop between index finder and thumb slide under cam and place on stop and place string on cam. Let enough tension off so that the string is tight and see if it is pointed straight back tilting away from you, i.e., top of peep towards string and bottom of peep toward riser.If not exactly straight repeat process uni; it is. Do not worry about d loop orientation at this point. Fully relax the bow and ensure it is still in correct position. If the loop is off. Firmly hold the string and rotate the d loop one side at a time until straight back.

If after shooting it a while it is a little off, go back and do it again and that should be the last time.

There are many other ways to do this but this is the only way that you do not have to fool with it each shot. The aggravation of doing this fiddling eventually causes irritation, so just do it right, no training the peep, setting the loop off set, etc. It will work but you need a press or someone who knows what they are doing.

To me a correctly aligned peep makes shooting so much more pleasurable.

Hi,
    You could try the Prohunter peep. It has 3 string grooves instead of 2 and sits horizontaly when the bow is at rest. No matter how the string turns the peep stays alinged. A similar one is the Shurz a Peep http://www.quicksarchery.co.uk/super...+Shurz+a+Peep+
    Phil

First, this is a tuning issue even if you are trying to fix it yourself. This thread should be in General Archery.

Most peep rotation comes from having the two bundles of strands on either side of the peep not segregated into one group from each side of the loop that go to and from the post on the cam/wheel. You can try, but it takes extreme luck to get this straight just by randomly moving strands. IMO the way to do it is to remove the servings above the peep, separate the groups properly and tie a thread around one set so the 'middle' is marked for you. Then reserve the string, twist it up, and reinstall.
    Blessed be the Lord, who daily loads us with benefits...the God of our salvation. Psalms 68:19 KJV Hunt 06 Darton Tempest. Beman Field 340s w' NAP QuickSpins & KillZone, F-85 TFO sight Comp 06 Darton Tempest; Victory X-Ringer, ACC 300s. TrophyTaker rest, Tox' sight. Backup 96 Darton Wrangler w' Rev' Archery cams Muzzy rest, TruGlo TFO Hunting bows Anchor Sight optical "No Peep" T.R.U.Ball Sabretooth 4 finger release.

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell112 View Post
    I think this has already been talked about, but how do fix my peep from over rotating? I took it to my local dealer and he could not fix it. ***? Im shooting a 2010 z7 with about 150 shots on it. Using a meta blu peep. This caused me to miss a 4x4 white tail (8 pointer if your from the south!). It was all good, then as luck had it when i pulled back all I could see was the blu of my peep. Any help would be great. Thanks guy's and gals.

Maxwell112
    can the pos stock string for starters, go with a custom string and your peep problem will be gone with that garbage factory string. You would wind up bringing it to your dealer every other week putting twists in

Quote Originally Posted by Splix View Post
    Negative Ghost Rider!
    It is from strings settling in. Zebra strings are the world's worst. Sorry Mathew's guys
    VendAXE hybrid!!
    Team 15

Good strings are the permanent fix. By 150 shots the strings would be settled if they were good ones. Moving strands, moving D-Loop over, putting a twist in are only short term solutions if you have marginal strings.

Only other thing you could do would be put in one of the "eye snapper" peeps that has the rubber tube. That's the cheapest solution and will keep it straight no matter how bad your strings are.

BTW, you might be better served in the future if you could find a dealer that was a bit more knowledgeable.

Quote Originally Posted by labs4life View Post
    Negative Ghost Rider!
    It is from strings settling in. Zebra strings are the world's worst. Sorry Mathew's guys

I would second, third and fourth that statement!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my case my C4 with factory Zebra string hold the peep almost perfectly straight from rest to full draw. My Apex 8 with an aftermarket string is off center at rest and rotates to position at full draw. They both work but my Zebra seems better.
    Archery loco!

I think most factory strings are a hit or miss from all manufactures. You either get a good one or one that you might as well take off and replace as soon as you get them.

"Get new strings" seems to be the answer to everything, from peep rotation to noisy bows to broadhead tuning. Just moneywhip it.

Really? You want dude to drop $100 on a custom string, which, by the way, will probably do the same thing?

Have the shop put in a half twist or a twist or a twist and a half or whatever. Shoot a hundred arrows at the shop. Leave when the peep rotates as it should. Not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordekyle View Post
    "Get new strings" seems to be the answer to everything, from peep rotation to noisy bows to broadhead tuning. Just moneywhip it.

Really? You want dude to drop $100 on a custom string, which, by the way, will probably do the same thing?

Have the shop put in a half twist or a twist or a twist and a half or whatever. Shoot a hundred arrows at the shop. Leave when the peep rotates as it should. Not a big deal.
    What he said!
    Mathews Switchback

I have been there and done that!! Those Zebra strings will continue to creep as he shoots. It makes no difference to me what he does. I was giving my advice, which I think is what he asked for. Not mine in particular, but advice. You did the same thing, give advice.

In my experience, those strings will settle for a little while and then start creeping again. You can't predict it and you can't control it which is why I said those strings are junk!

Quote Originally Posted by Mordekyle View Post

VendAXE hybrid!!
    Team 15

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast