a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Rifle scope on crossbow?

Rifle scope on crossbow?

Can I put a Rifle scope on mt Ten Point Stelth? The scope that came with it is messed up and I was wondering if I can put a rifle scope I have on it?

you can try Ken, most wont work and actually you can damage them , I tried a BSA that I really liked but wouldnt hold zero, its the reverse recoil but some say they use em and are ok ???
    LS 390, HHA, HHA scope L-4
    Vent 150 HHA Vortex Diamondback
    Excalibur Matrix 380, RH Custom string, Trigger Tech, HHA
    Crossbow Warrior Pro Staff
    NRA Member !

which scope do you use Randy?

If ... your rifle scope is rated for "airguns" it will work well; in my opinion, VERY well on your crossbow. (if you want to hit small, you have to see small) Most new scopes are rated for airguns. Check with the manufacturer. Crossbows, like Airguns have multi-directional recoil characteristics, which can damage scopes designed only to handle typical weapon to the rear recoil.
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE, Zeiss 3-12 Illum Duralyt, CamX Accuspine, 100gr Firenock SBG RamCats Scorpyd Orion150 Leupold 2.5-8x36mm, AcuDraw, Wyvern BEEs. Swarovski bino, Leica rangefinder, Surefire, Deerelight & Fenix lights.
    White Buffalo Inc. - Project Manager ... Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor ... NRA Life Member 1971

Yes, you can put a riflescope on a crossbow. There is some risk that it won't hold up to the severe 'forward' recoil (opposite that of a rifle) that a crossbow thrusts into a scope but still, many have been doing it for years.

What I don't like about using a riflescope that's primarily designed for long distance shooting (100+ yards) is that it's function at 'close' shooting distances (normal archery hunting shooting distances) is a compromise. Telescopic sights that do not have adjustable objectives are factory set (optimized) for a single shooting distance. In the case of a riflescope it's usually 100 or 150 yards, not so great for a crossbow.

Most quality crossbow scopes are factory set (parallax free) for 50 yards or less (preferably less). The Excalibur crossbow scopes are set for 30 yards and the Nikon Bolt is set for 20 yards optimum shooting distance.

A quality air gun scope will work well on a crossbow because it is engineered to be very accurate at short shooting distances and also exhibits the same type of recoil as a crossbow. I've used quality air gun scopes (with AO) on high powered rifles successfully so air gun scopes are nothing to sneeze at.

Most shotgun and muzzleloader scopes are factory set at either 75 yards or 50 yards so they are prospective candidates but still not the best for normal archery hunting shooting distances.

i have a Redfield 2 x 7(wide angle) that i use on my excal. it was previously on my 30/30 for 20+ years i have had it on it since 2005. it has never failed me. most of my shots are close.
    i did have a miss a couple of days ago.
    Last edited by nova bowhunter; September 30th, 2011 at 09:23 AM. Reason: add

You need to make sure that the scope has support bushings for recoil both to the rear (gun) and to the front (crossbow). I can't find it now ... but I saw a list of about 10 scope manufacturers and a "yes/no" as to whether they had bushings on both sides of the crosshairs.

Only 2 on that list did NOT have bushings both ways -- if memory serves me correctly I remember those two as Tasco and BSA (which would explain why Randy's BSA bit the dust). Bushnell, Nikon, Leupold, Etc. -- DO have bushings both ways.

I've only seen one rifle scope fall apart on a crossbow. It was a $59 Simmons on a Ten Point GT Flex. If you want to use a rifle scope on a crossbow, I don't know why but go for it. Seriously, the only crossbow setup where a rifle scope would be cool, IMO, is in combination with an HHA Optimizer adjustable yardage base. That would be the ultimate crossbow long range setup. I keep telling myself to set one of those up but I just haven't found the right crossbow for it .............yet :-) In the meantime the Hawke XB30 multi aiming point reticle crossbow scope that is speed adjustable is the cat's meow
    MOON

Super Small (SS) Recurve Crossbows - The Future of Recurve Hunting Crossbows

Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    I saw a list of about 10 scope manufacturers and a "yes/no" as to whether they had bushings on both sides of the crosshairs.
    This is from an air gun site and applies equally well for crossbows.

Click the link and scroll down to the chart.

http://www.lasc.us/rangingshotrifleairgunscopes.htm

Thanks, for all the info. the reason that I'm thinking of putting a rifle scope on is becaulse my Ten Point scope is messed up and with all the break downs around my house this month I cant go out and buy a cross bow scope right now.

I love my Tasco 2.5-10x42mm Mil-Dot rifle scope with the adjustable parallax that I've used for 4 years now and never had a problem. My hunting crossbow shoots 265fps. and my 3D archery crossbow shoots 250fps. and that scope is the perfect set up for both crossbows. I turn the parallax to 30 yards for a great view. I wouldn't use any other scope out there. If your crossbow shoots a lot faster then 265 then the rifle scope might not work for long. Good luck.
    TenPoint Titan TL-9 #100 Crossbow
    Tasco 2.5-10x42mm Mil-Dot Scope
    Easton Fatboys 500's - 18"
    QuickSpins 1 1/2"
    Tenpoint Crossbows Rule

Define messed up, What is wrong with the scope that came with it?

Quote Originally Posted by 10PTREP View Post
    Define messed up, What is wrong with the scope that came with it?
    The focusing ring was loose and it would not stay in focus, I found out the hard way glue would not hold it in place,duh!
    also the circles when you turn on the light, red or green only half of the circle lights up, also
    when the sun goes down and you want to turn it on the only thing you can see is what ever color yo have turned on, it does it on all settings.

You betcha. Scopes marketed as "rimfire, airgun, muzzleloader, or shotgun" scopes are typically your best bet - they'll have the right magnif. range, and more importantly, the better parallax-free setting for your needs (typically 50 yards for a rimfire, and 75 yards for "shotgun" and "muzzleloader" scopes. This helps minimize parallax error if you don't have perfect center-eye hold.

My favorite scope by far for ANY: turkey shotgun, big bore rifle, EBR or self-defense rifle, rimfire, muzzleloader, deer shotgun, air rifle, or crossbow is the same answer: The Nikon "Omega" or "Slugmaster" (same thing) 1.65-5x36mm. Well, that's my favorite one under $500 anyways. It's about $225 give or take.

Ken I use a HHA ( made by Hawke )single reticle L-4 thats made for the Speed dial, good scope, just wish it was 4 power and a smaller dot in the center of the reticle !!!
    Are you listening Hawke?????
    LS 390, HHA, HHA scope L-4
    Vent 150 HHA Vortex Diamondback
    Excalibur Matrix 380, RH Custom string, Trigger Tech, HHA
    Crossbow Warrior Pro Staff
    NRA Member !

Sorry; ran out of time to edit.

Above I said (with one revision here):

My favorite scope by far for ANY: turkey shotgun, big bore rifle, EBR or self-defense rifle, rimfire, muzzleloader, scout-setup high-vel rifle, deer shotgun, air rifle, or crossbow is the same answer: The Nikon "Omega" or "Slugmaster" (same thing) 1.65-5x36mm. Well, that's my favorite one under $500 anyways. It's about $225 give or take.
    I have 4 or 5 of these on various weapons and used one on my Tac-10 last year for hunting (with no ethical shots ever presented to me, unfortunately). Let's see - have one on an EBR (AR-style), one on a .22mag / 20 ga combo gun, one on a Timberwolf .357 mag pump, one on a scout setup rifle in .308 win, and one on a 12 ga smoothbore dedicated to spring turkeys in a scout config.... I can't say enough good about these Nikon Omega/Slugmasters (PM me or post if you want to know more info on why). Sold the tac-10, so that's the one that ended up on the .22mag/20 ga.

To continue on scope choices, as always, it's all just a matter of budget - "What's the best value for WHICH for which budget range?" is always the relevant question...

For those same mentioned general weapon types:

--Between $500 and $1000, it's the Bushnell Elite 6500, 1.25-8x32mm. These are really sweet scopes.
    --Between $1,000 and $2,000, probably the IOR/Valdada Tactical 1.1-8x26mm (don't have one, but hope to someday)
    --Above $2,000, it would be the Premier Reticles 1.1-8x24mm (Don't have one, but hope to someday)

If you can't tell, I'm a fan of good glass.

But sure, there's many many decent choices.... even the $70 or $80 Bushnell Banner 1.5-4x32 ain't half bad, especially with the circle-X reticle.

The new fixed power Nikon for crossbows that's short and light looks promising, and I've looked through it once, but haven't been able to fully evaluate it. My initial impression is "good, yet moderately inferior to the Omega/Slugmaster line, except in the size/weight department."

I put a Nikon Omega 1.5 x 5 on my Ultra Lite TRT. I love it. From 0 to 30 yards I use just the hairs. 40 yards and its the 4th circle down. Because I will not shoot at a deer past 30 yards it really does not matter that I have circles to 50 or 60 yards. And because it is a $269.00 scope retail, it has good glass. There is a major deal on them online right now and I bought 2 of them.

downsized_0814111327.jpg
    D

I use a Leupold on my Strykeforce. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by outback1 View Post
    Can I put a Rifle scope on mt Ten Point Stelth? The scope that came with it is messed up and I was wondering if I can put a rifle scope I have on it?
    Dosen't the Leupold custom shop set up their scopes for crossbows? Thought I read this somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Tim50 View Post
    Dosen't the Leupold custom shop set up their scopes for crossbows? Thought I read this somewhere...
    Yes, Leupold is doing a custom scope for my Excalibur. I ordered it with the single heavy duplex reticle and the parallax setting at 25 yards. Mine will be coming next week sometime.

I have hack sawed a scope tube to see how the reticle is in the turret section, in the past. In my scopes I can not see a difference from the forward side to the reward side where the reticle is located.
    What I have noticed in the past is that a good percentage of the time scopes malfunction, the rings have been over tightened especially if the rings are very close to the turret. The rings need to be tight enough to keep the scope secure some rings have a pretty big space between the upper and lower ring half's be careful not to close this gap completely but make it even on both sides. If you want to use a rifle scope I can't see what it would hurt shock from a rifle being discharged is still more than most crossbow's for now anyway.
    Derrick Middleton
    Middleton Crossbow

Makers of the worlds, fastest and lightest recurve crossbows we also shoot our advertised speed Guaranteed.

Thank you all for the info! I see there a lot of options out there. I think I am going to try a redfield scope I have laying around and see how that does.

Outback1. Good Luck with the RedField scope.
    TenPoint Titan TL-9 #100 Crossbow
    Tasco 2.5-10x42mm Mil-Dot Scope
    Easton Fatboys 500's - 18"
    QuickSpins 1 1/2"
    Tenpoint Crossbows Rule

I use a Nikkon 6x18x40 on my Tac-15i. It is over kill but after 3000 shots it holds zero. Fantastic scope for the money.