Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windy days.. worth hunting?

windy days.. worth hunting?

Its opening day here in michigan and it is windy as all get out. i went out this morning and saw nothing and figured the deer would be bedded down today. i stayed up all week to get my college work finished in order to hunt this weekend, and im so bummed about this weather. would you guys still hunt?

2012 PSE Stiletto
    2013 PSE Phenom
    PSE MI pro staff
    MOR Archery pro staff

I've seen more deer on crazy windy days than you can imagine. Just be safe in the tree and keep your shots close. Deer move in all but the most extreme conditions and heavy snow. Your not going to kill anything watching TV, get out and hunt.
    “Those who act like sheep, will be eaten by Wolves”

DNA

Can't kill'em from the couch....

As long as it wasn't so windy that I feel unsafe to be in the woods, I will go. You never know what could happen. People have killed deer in every imaginable weather condition.
    '09 GT-500

One great big festering neon distraction

Its windy enough here where I cant hold a bow stable, so that answers my question. If I dont think I can make a safe accurate shot, it isnt worth wounding something to me.

Quote Originally Posted by darbyjean95 View Post
    Its opening day here in michigan and it is windy as all get out. i went out this morning and saw nothing and figured the deer would be bedded down today. i stayed up all week to get my college work finished in order to hunt this weekend, and im so bummed about this weather. would you guys still hunt?
    you bet they are....I was in the tree this AM and saw 4 bucks and 5 does...had a big one at 15 yrds at 7:05 am and it was 2 dark to shoot (couldnt see thru peep)and a couple 6 pts at 15-20 yrds but they were to small to shoot and a spike that needd to grow up.
    Mathews Conquest 4, another C4, Apex 7..Shibuya Carbon sights..Bernies Black Momba 36" front with 14" rear..Truespot Scopes..Easton xx78 2315's indoors & x10 pro 470's outdoors..TruBall releases

where the 242inch 28 point buck was shot. Fremont, wisconsin
    windy day in the woods is better than a day at work
    PSE FIELD STAFF
    PSE MILITIA:
    PSE Dominator Pro
    PSE DNA
    PSE Dominator pro 3d

The wind helps mask the noise you make in the woods. I love being in the woods on windy days.
    The Lord Jesus Christ is our saviour. Only he can give us eternal life.

looks like im goin back out! thanks guys!
    2012 PSE Stiletto
    2013 PSE Phenom
    PSE MI pro staff
    MOR Archery pro staff

Its blowing hard.
    Archery makes my shaft quiver.

Id be out in a heart beat!!!!
    Tall Tine Bowstrings : www glaciallakesarchery com
    Carbon Tech Arrows, Hot Shot Releases, B-Stinger, Trophy Taker, S4 Gear
    Elite Archery Dealer
    Ninja Engery 35 Hunting & Ninja Tour Field/3D

Windy here too with a nice rain mist. Only seen one small 6-point this am. Supposed to go to a wedding this evening hope the rain keeps us home so I can get back out there tonight.
    PSE DNA PLATINUM SKULLWORKS 60#
    HHA,RIP CORD,RAGE,BLACK EAGLE FIELD STAFF
    PSE MILITIA

..here in Ohio...when wind speeds get above 20 mph....on farmland whitetails....deer tend to move little due to 3 things:

1. Sense of Smell is greatly diminished...

2. Sense of Hearing is greatly compromised....

3. Sense of Sight is greatly overloaded...

......if you can find an area protected by the wind, pine trees on the downwind side of a ridge.......any bottoms [but the wind swirling may hinder you]......

I am hunting tomorrow morning early.....should be good.....37 deg......
    #60 Hoyt Vector Turbo MAX-1, #60 Hoyt Alphaburner Blackout
    #45 Hoyt Ruckus, TradTech Pinnacle #43 Kaya Carbon Limbs
    Whalen's Hooker Releases & Bowfinger PRO Staffer
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ArchersP...0?feature=mhee
    http://www.youtube.com/user/realtubular?feature=mhum

You should go, it often calms down toward evening. They still have to eat, so eventually they will move in the wind even if it doesn't calm down late in the day. They just seem a little more nervous when they do.

Quote Originally Posted by darbyjean95 View Post
    I went out here this morning even though I knew it was supposed to be windy. Didnt see a thing except one bob cat and about 700 squirrels. I pretty much knew the deer would be out all night and lay down this morning. And they did according to my trail cam. Got 60 pics last night.

Wind 15-20 gusting today and colder than a mother in laws smile.
    I cut my arrows twice and they're still too short.

Every time you win an argument on Archerytalk you still lose because invetibly you're gonna tick off someone else.

If its really windy I always hunt the creek bottom stand in a deep hollow. It gets me out of the wind and the deer seem to go there for the same reason.
    2011 Hoyt Vantage LTD, realtree AP, NAP plunger rest, HHA sight, fuse blade stab, hoyt quick detach quiver, easton 2514, 5" feathers, 145gr. snuffer broadheads

I've never had good luck deer hunting in the wind. Well, muledeer but not whitetails.

What they do in the hills and mountains is lay down right at the top of a steep, pointy hill top. Since they lose one of their defense senses, hearing, they can easily bail out to any direction if thretened.

I've walked up on many deer beded down like that.

What they will do is bed down like I stated above and come out right when its too dark to see how to shoot. Then they spin most all night out and about. Lay back down just before day light.

My trial cam verifies that which I already knew.
    I cut my arrows twice and they're still too short.

Every time you win an argument on Archerytalk you still lose because invetibly you're gonna tick off someone else.

Absolutely worth it....as long as it's not 40+ gusts

Use your best judgment for the tree location
    Rules: Are guidelines for the wise and restrictions for the stupid.

Get in some timber,especially down in a bottom.I've seen a lot of deer in bottoms on windy days.

I wouldn't go out.

White tail deer in Michigan don't like to move in heavy wind. They can't smell very well, they can't hear very well, and there's way too much movement for them to feel safe walking around. Not saying that you won't see a deer in those kinds of conditions, but the odds are very greatly diminished.

You're better off finding a bedding area, hitting a corner of it downwind, and stalking it. You'd be surprised how many deer you could jump since the wind is masking pretty much everything that deer usually pick up on. Course stalking is quite a different game than hunting from a stand, but you could pick a nice windy day to try out something new.

Nope. Winds were terrible here and I didn't even see a squirrel
    2013 PSE DNA, HHA Optimizer, Tight Spot, Gold Tip Hunters, Grim Reapers, Ridgerunner Sling
    2014 TenPoint Shadow

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter 58 View Post
    I went out here this morning even though I knew it was supposed to be windy. Didnt see a thing except one bob cat and about 700 squirrels. I pretty much knew the deer would be out all night and lay down this morning. And they did according to my trail cam. Got 60 pics last night.

Wind 15-20 gusting today and colder than a mother in laws smile.

...good one Skeeter!!!
    #60 Hoyt Vector Turbo MAX-1, #60 Hoyt Alphaburner Blackout
    #45 Hoyt Ruckus, TradTech Pinnacle #43 Kaya Carbon Limbs
    Whalen's Hooker Releases & Bowfinger PRO Staffer
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ArchersP...0?feature=mhee
    http://www.youtube.com/user/realtubular?feature=mhum

cold is ok

windy to a point is ok

rain to a point is ok

cold + wind = ok to a point

cold + rain = not ok

rain + wind = not ok

cold + wind+ rain = way not ok
    When the war is over soldiers come home, SAILORS dont. WE will always stand a vigilant watch to protect YOUR way of life.
    It's not that I'm cranky, I just dont care what you think.
    Google isnt all that difficult to use, i'm not gonna spoon feed you info that you're too lazy to look up.

As a few others have said, windy days are not that good, IME, but better than not going out. A friend who pretty much grew up in the woods of WV and knew way more than I ever will told me the deer are nervous on windy days, for the reasons a few have stated already. If you can find a place that is calm like a creek bottom or something, I think it is better.
    "It don't really matter what kinda bow you choose to shoot. Just as long as you like it, practice and become a good shot. It's all good." rt2bowhunter

"Some feel that all should do as they do: this is questionable at best." sew

Stalking standing corn in the wind is an effective method but it takes some skill.
    It was too windy for me today (40+ gusts) but I know of a few guys that had luck when they went out in Mi this am.
    Getting LOTS more from this evening though...hopefully you're in a tree now
    Everybody knows, that the world if full of stupid people.
    But I got the pistols so I'll keep the pesos, yeah that seems fair.

I hate wind! If its real bad do some ground stalking!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast