a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: HELP restringing TenPoint GT Flex

HELP restringing TenPoint GT Flex

The serving was looking ragged and I thought it time to flip it over. I used some light rope with a bowline knot on one end and a tautline hitch on the other. Adjusted it and it worked great to hold the limbs back. Got the string off and my rope broke. The limbs are now far forward, my string is completely off.

I went to a heavier rope but it does not bite in the notch on the limbs you use to pull the limbs back. Any suggestions on what to loop over the limbs so I can pull back? It's like the angle from the notch to the DFI is such that ropes slip off rather than bite in.

Thanks,
    HH

I would try some small diameter nylon rope, thinking that the heavier rope you are using won't engauge the notch properly, by looking at the manual on line, the restringer just has loops that fit over the limbs in a notch. If you can't get it, you probably could take the bow to a shop and let them use a press. You should invest in a restringer from 10 Point. You could try some small dia. rope and make double loops for each end, using a square knot, and tying a heavy rope in between the two double loops. Good luck!

Don't really need a rope. Here is how I strung my excalibur:

Put foot in stirrup

put string on one end in string grooves

Put that tip with the string on down on the carpet or something soft

pull up on the other tip of the bow, steadying the stock but not putting any pressure on it

slip the string on with your other hand

make sure the string is seated in the nocks on both ends

relax pressure

I have used this method to string my 200 pound excalibur with out too much difficulty.

Todd

Stringing a recurve and a compound are horses of a different color. The shorter, stiffer limbs, plus cam lobes, make restringing a compound much more complex. Do yourself a favor and find someone with a press...before someone or something gets hurt. For the record, I shoot and restring both. The recurve I can string with a simple Stringer. The compound, much as I've tried to fudge it, requires a strong press. For, as you recently found out, things can go ooooops in a heartbeat.
    Why do I hunt? Simple, it's BASIC.
    Why do you breathe?!

Excalibur, Mission, single shot rifles and handguns

The gt flex is a recurve.

Doe ... would not the stringing aid by Excalibur help you???? David sells them.

Don't really need a rope. Here is how I strung my excalibur:

Put foot in stirrup

put string on one end in string grooves

Put that tip with the string on down on the carpet or something soft

pull up on the other tip of the bow, steadying the stock but not putting any pressure on it

slip the string on with your other hand

make sure the string is seated in the nocks on both ends

relax pressure

I have used this method to string my 200 pound excalibur with out too much difficulty.

Todd
    That is the way I do it. You are right - Do NOT use the stock to leverage the bow. Do all your pulling on the limb..

I did manage to get it restrung using a heavier rope. I looped it over the back of the receiver so it pulled more straight back than locking it in the DFI.

I would like to know if the Excalibur string aid will work on the GT Flex. I have a few things I want to order so I may be calling Dave at Wyvern this week.

Todd, I like the idea you stated. I will keep that in mind for next time.

Thanks,
    HH

Here is a video that show what I am talking about, at least the first part of the video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqvj1141y_A

Todd

Ten Point makes a coated cable for stringing and unstringing the Flex.
    MOON

Super Small (SS) Recurve Crossbows - The Future of Recurve Hunting Crossbows

Quote Originally Posted by Cossack2 View Post
    Stringing a recurve and a compound are horses of a different color. The shorter, stiffer limbs, plus cam lobes, make restringing a compound much more complex. Do yourself a favor and find someone with a press...before someone or something gets hurt. For the record, I shoot and restring both. The recurve I can string with a simple Stringer. The compound, much as I've tried to fudge it, requires a strong press. For, as you recently found out, things can go ooooops in a heartbeat.
    Sorry for the "brain fart" folks. I read Flex but my mind registered compound. A mind is a terrible thing to waste, eh?
    Why do I hunt? Simple, it's BASIC.
    Why do you breathe?!

Excalibur, Mission, single shot rifles and handguns