Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how far with a 50lb bow

how far with a 50lb bow

Was wondering if 340 ibo bow maxed at 50lbs shooting a 300gr arrow at 29" would be lethal for a deer at 50 yrds, is that too far & slow?

Elite Pulse
    Backup G5-Quest Smoke

I think that combo would work, however I would only use something like a Magnus Stinger. I do not like "mechanicals" too many ways to fail.

yes but i would suggest a heavier arrow to hunt with.

Not that it matters to me what you do but just curious as to why you would want to shoot at 50?
    Hoyt Maxxis 31, 60X Strings, Epic N-Fused, Stingers, Snuffer SS, Slick Trick Mags, Wasp SST Boss

i was shootin a bow that ibo's at 318(pearson advantage) at 58 pounds and i had no worries about penetration. although i did switch out limbs and now am drawing 71 pounds shooting a 421 grain acc 349-390 with a 125 grain rocket steelhead but thats just because we already had the limbs. if you go the 50 pound route i would suggest some victory vaps and either a razorcap broadhead or a g5 montec to give you some killer penetration
    PETES ARCHERY
    ARCHERY SHACK STRINGS STAFF www.archeryshack.com
    TEAM WHACK EM AND STACK EM
    KRACKTERA XL
    VPA BROADHEADS

That would so kill a dear and do it with a clean kill.

that setup seems just a lil on the soft side to take a shot at 50yds . i might think about it with a 1'' 2 blade fixed head . but thats just my 2 cents
    2012 Hoyt Alpha Elite,Element & Matrix
    B-Stinger Stabilizers
    GoldTip Arrows For Everything
    ** Ex-Wolverine Custome Strings & Bow Tuning**
    WHEN IN DOUBT,GRIP -N- RIP !!

I would diffidently recommend a heavier arrow for that 50 yard shot with that set up. I say this because a few years back I took a shot at a buck at 52yards broadside and hit the shoulder with a 3 blade 323grain arrow shooting out of my bow 61lber at 299fps. If you hit them everytime in the right spot you might get away with it, but hit them in the wrong spot and you will be screwed.
    ELITE FIRE 27.5, 61.43lbs, 80%, IBO 300grn Beman ICS 500 75grn tip, 308-311fps set up by Michael TERMINAL VELOCITY

well that would be the case even at 20 yards ! shot placement is the key everytime . dont happen all the time but sheet happins
    Quote Originally Posted by trimalimb View Post
    I would diffidently recommend a heavier arrow for that 50 yard shot with that set up. I say this because a few years back I took a shot at a buck at 52yards broadside and hit the shoulder with a 3 blade 323grain arrow shooting out of my bow 61lber at 299fps. If you hit them everytime in the right spot you might get away with it, but hit them in the wrong spot and you will be screwed.
    2012 Hoyt Alpha Elite,Element & Matrix
    B-Stinger Stabilizers
    GoldTip Arrows For Everything
    ** Ex-Wolverine Custome Strings & Bow Tuning**
    WHEN IN DOUBT,GRIP -N- RIP !!

shouldnt have any problem other than you just making the shot
    mine 2010 exceed 300 white/vista 70lbs gt expo/xt hunter surloc ss -\LD micro elite--
    wife 2009 accomplice 32 black/vista 50lb ASCENT single pin LD micro elite gt kinetic xt
    daughter Diamond Atomic silver/black xxx, rug rats, speed pro arrows

i personally shoot 55lb and i feel that really is the lowest i would want to go with a hunting setup, you have to consider the welfare of an animal and the possibility of not making an effective kill if your placement is off, higher poundage allows for some leniency and the difference pulling back 55 as apposed to 50 is not a huge problem
    2010 Bowtech destroyer black ops 340,60lb, HHA OL5219 sight, octane tripwire rest, doinker 11.5" carbon elite stab,red specialty peep.
    2009 martin moab,60lb, cartel target sight with 4x scope, copperjohn scaredy cat rest, 28" doinker carbon with abomb.
    scott silverhorn release, carbontech arrows- whitetails,cheetahs,

Move a little closer than 50 yards.

I might be wrong on this but going to a heavier arrow might give him less KE with a 50 lb bow . Seems like the KE on a 50lb'er would be low to begin with . Want to find that perfect balance maybe no more than 350 total grains on your arrow . I have played around with numbers on the archery calculator and you dont have to go to heavy before your KE starts to drop . Just a heads up . I would limit my shots to 30 and in .

Is everyone forgetting that deer are killed with 40# and 45# recurves every season? And how much KE do those have? Your set-up, according to BackCountry's calculator gives 301 fps and 60 KE....enough for Elk, Moose , and Bear. So yeah, I'd say that its enough, as long as your deer is relaxed, shoot when hes got his head down in the grub, fire away!

http://backcountrybowhunting.com/articles/calc/
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru 63 lb Qiuktune 3000 HHA OL 5519 Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C shoot thru 55 lb Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Martin 04 Cougar Elite, Nitrous C shoot thru 50 lb Quiktune 1000,

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    Is everyone forgetting that deer are killed with 40# and 45# recurves every season? And how much KE do those have? Your set-up, according to BackCountry's calculator gives 301 fps and 60 KE....enough for Elk, Moose , and Bear. So yeah, I'd say that its enough, as long as your deer is relaxed, shoot when hes got his head down in the grub, fire away!

http://backcountrybowhunting.com/articles/calc/
    Most people here are not "forgetting"; they just aren't informed on traditional equipment.
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." ~~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Seems to far to me... And way to light of an arrow.
    35 would be max, IMO. At that distance the momentum of the light arrow wont get you much penetration. KE does not = momentum.

Shooting traditional the arrow usually is way heavier, which is why the lower pounds work.

Quote Originally Posted by BaxMaine View Post
    Seems to far to me... And way to light of an arrow.
    35 would be max, IMO. At that distance the momentum of the light arrow wont get you much penetration. KE does not = momentum.

Shooting traditional the arrow usually is way heavier, which is why the lower pounds work.
    As you so correctly said, thats your opion
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru 63 lb Qiuktune 3000 HHA OL 5519 Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C shoot thru 55 lb Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C

Heavier arrows are always better, they store more energy creating less noise as a bonus, they are less affected by drag from your fletchings. The only down side is you'll have a bit larger pin gap. At 50 some yards you'll need to know the precise distance and you should be able to do it without spooking the deer. So 50 yards at 50 lbs is fine for a deer with good shot placement. Go for it if you are confident you can hit a pie plate consistently from those distances.
    Good Luck
    To be in the woods is to commune with God! - Priceless

Since when have we become so conservative in what it takes to kill a deer? Your equipment is fine, shot placement is key.
    Cisco Certified Network Associate
    Cisco Certified Network Associate-Security
    Cisco Certified Network Associate-Voice
    "We are the lifeguards of the Internet"
    2009 Martin Saber, HHA 5519, Beman ICS hunter 400

As you so correctly said, thats your opion
    Which is backed by facts.
    You arent looking into the arrow weight itself, just draw weights. You are only taking 1 part of the equation into account, not both.

Its a proven fact that heavier arrows penetrate more, and at 300g... thats about as light as possible for an arrow. In fact, I kinda have to question if he forgot to add something in when adding up the weight.

You would be fine at 50 as long as you have a broadhead that doesn't require too much KE for that setup...
    PSE X-Force Dream Season HF 70lb_Spot-Hogg Hogg-It 7 pin Wrapped_RipCord CodeRed_Vibracheck 10.5" Pro Carbon Hunter_Trophy Ridge Cage 1_Truball Beast_Norway String Tamer_G5 Meta_Americas Best BowString_Carbon Force Radial X-Weave Predator 300_STs_PSE Militia
    381 grains @ 307 fps @ 81 lbs. KE

I shoot 53#due to shoulder surgery a couple of years ago & the doc reccomended not shooting more than 55#. I shoot a 340 gr arrow & shot a doe last year at 36 yards. The arrow broke a rib going in & was stuck in the rib on the far side. She went 40 yards befor piling up.

Quote Originally Posted by BaxMaine View Post
    Which is backed by facts.
    You arent looking into the arrow weight itself, just draw weights. You are only taking 1 part of the equation into account, not both.
    No, you have your mind made up that the op needs more arrow weight, and can't understand that 100's of deer are killed every year with light weight bows and arrows.

No, you have your mind made up that the op needs more arrow weight, and can't understand that 100's of deer are killed every year with light weight bows and arrows.
    I did not say they couldnt kill deer.
    Every bow setup has an effective range, and 50 yards is pushing his effective range.

Quote Originally Posted by baxmaine View Post
    i did not say they couldnt kill deer.
    Every bow setup has an effective range, and 50 yards is pushing his effective range.
    iyo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast