Thread: Does anyone here own or know anything about bloodhounds for tracking wounded deer?

Does anyone here own or know anything about bloodhounds for tracking wounded deer?

I am getting a bloodhound tommorrow and I am going to need all the help and advice I can get! The dog is going to be a family pet but I've always wanted one for tracking or finding a deer after it is hit, you know the ones that you just never find even though you know that you hit them good and that there lying dead somewhere but you just can't find them. Does anyone here have one or know someone who does? I need some advice on training one. Thanks.

Helpful site

I am getting a bloodhound tommorrow and I am going to need all the help and advice I can get! The dog is going to be a family pet but I've always wanted one for tracking or finding a deer after it is hit, you know the ones that you just never find even though you know that you hit them good and that there lying dead somewhere but you just can't find them. Does anyone here have one or know someone who does? I need some advice on training one. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I used this sight alot when training my Lacy in order to have a good blood dog they have to be an obediant dog first IMO which is hard becuase you want them to start learning to track early usually earlier than they become obediant. This site will help you alot.

JOHN

http://www.deersearch.org/introduc.htm

The best do g for that is a long haired Dachusand pardon
    ihe spelling weenie dog,they are the most popular dog
    for that purpose!
    coyote170
    Happiness:On my Rancher,with my dog and my
    Ten Point headed to the ground blind!!

(KMAJ)

training dog to trail

I read an article about training dogs to trail wounded deer, the writer says it`s the easiest training he ever did. He said that he (when he shot a deer) regardles of how far the deer went he went home or whereever the dog was and brought it back to where he shot the deer let it smell around the blood and just left it alone. Their natural instincts will have them follow the deer blood. He said it only takes one or two times. note the dogs are leashed, also he says his is a boxer bulldog not really noted for trailing. try it see if it works and good luck like to have one myself.

Go to your Google search engine and type in blood trail dogs for deer. You will get all kinds of hits.

ttt

Is it legal to track wounded game with hounds??? Good idea i guess but i've read alot about how you should stalk wounded or downed game...
    Kinda interesting.
    How do you train a dog to pick up that scent and trail it?

It is legel here in Ohio to track wounded or dead deer that you shot with a dog.But the rules say that the dog must remain leashed at all times during tracking.No unleashed dogs are legeal for tracking.My friend has a black and tan coon hound that he specifically trained to track deer.He has found a couple for us that we lost.

Lab Mix

I have a Lab Mix, that I found on the side of the road when he was a puppy, that I trained (very little) to blood trail deer. I hunted with a guy that had a blood hound and a lab he used in his commercial operation and I took my dog (Freebie) and let him trail with them and he pretty well picked it up on his own. I followed this up by periodically bringing home a deer leg from the processer and dragging it around the yard and then hidiing it and letting him find it. He recovered a deer for me this past season that I would have had a hard time finding otherwise. I actually enjoy putting him on a trail and letting him work - especially when the deer dropped in sight - this just reinfroces his training. I use Freebie in Ga and it is legal, but it is not legal in all states. Anyway if you would like any more information please pm me and I can try to help you or put you in touch with my friend who had the bloodhound and lab.
    Rob

If I still had my old walker coon hound I would give him to you. He loved to track deer. All night long.

German Shorthair Pointer

I had a German Shorthair Pointer that I trained as a Grouse dog. One of the training books I had when she was a pup indicated Short Hairs were used in Germany for blood trailing. I never gave it much though to using her for trailing until I received a call from my son late one Saturday.

He had an arrow deflected shooting at a doe and couldn't find the deer. He and a friend searched for most of the day before calling me for help. For some reason the old reference from the training manual flashed through my head so I took the dog along.

Upon arriving at the site and talking to my son and his buddy I didn't hold out much hope for finding the deer. They had searched and re-searched the area multiple times undoubtably contaminating any scent trail. A light rain had fallen about midday that thinned the little bit of blood trail they were able to find.

Since I had always worked at not letting the dog run deer when Grouse hunting I started second guessing my plan to use the dog for this purpose. Not really knowing how the dog would react I just let her get a good smell of the blood trail and told her to "hunt it up".

The first couple hundred yards or so she moved right along without hesitation until we reached a large pasture with boot high wet grass. She made several starts out into the field but kept coming back to the original trail. We took her to the other siide of the field and worked the edge and the various deer trails until she got back on a hot trail.

My son said he thought she was on the wrong trail since the the location was so far removed from the line the deer had been traveling.

Since neither he or his buddy had checked this area I just let the dog follow her nose. About 80 yards back into the woods we found a pool of blood were the deer had bedded next to a old fence line. We hadn't found any blood after the first 60-70 yards from the original point of hit. The deer was apparently unable to jump the fence.

The blood was fresh and it was starting to get dark so we considered backing off until the next day. As we were discussing our plans my son saw movement abount 60 yards down the old fence line. The deer was moving along the fence looking for another possible opening to cross. Our trailing obviously put her out of the bed we found. She was moving very slow dragging her back legs and was near death. My son circled around and waited until she laid down again then finished her with a second arrow.

Considering the dog never was trained to this task we were all amazed at her new found ability. We used her two more times, before she died, to find deer hit during gun seasons. Both times she lead us to the dead deer.
    Hoyt 2007 Trykon (Ol' Deathwind), Drop Zone (Target), Easton Axis, Rage 2-Blade

Louisiana

We passed a special statute a couple of years ago allowing blood trailing by dogs. There's a big fight annually among still hunters and dog hunters, so this was looked at closely. The dog must be leashed at all times, and if after legal shooting hours, no one may have a firearm. I think the state rep. who introduced this bill, Bryan Hammet from Ferriday, uses a specially trained lab. I think it's a great idea to help recover deer, kind of like retreivers and ducks.

Maybe I can help here....

About 4 years ago, I had a real desire to purchase a blood-tracking hound for deer-trailing....

I researched nearly every possible breed of dog known in the world to be used for blood-trailing.....several were excellent.....German WireHaired Pointer....Wirehaired Dachsund.....Bloodhound....

But the breed that was and still is used almost exclusively by professional German Hunters and Foresters (game wardens) is the Bavarian Mountain Hound, a breed developed in the mid-1800's specifically for big-game blood-tracking....they track silently (no baying) and absolutely NEVER give up as long as the slightest scent is there.....

No country in the world is as skilled in blood-tracking experience as Germany. They lead the world and take this sport with deadly seriousness. Not recovering a wounded big-game animal in Germany is looked upon like we would look upon a criminal/felon in the USA! And Germany's breed-of-choice, hands down, is the Bavarian Mountain Hound...

Four years ago, I purchased a 8-week old, female Bavarian from a breeder in Sweden. This breeder actually flew to Texas with this puppy (and another sister to this dog for a buddy of mine) and stayed with us for a week. Both the sire and dam to these pups are multi-titled blood-trailing European champions.....training was simple and straight-forward....their price was $1,000 each.....not cheap, but the best never is.....

There are less than 30 of these dogs in America at present....the Germans jealously guard this breed and have Tracking Club rules prohibiting out-of-country sales....we were lucky to have the Swedish contacts to get these pups!

Needless to say, we have NEVER lost a deer that was fatally-hit since putting these dogs on the ground....90% of our arrow-hit deer have dropped within visual sight....it's the remaining, few 10% where a dog earns his bacon!

As others have mentioned, the Deer-Search web-site is the place to go to learn about blood-trailing.....I have spoken with John Jeanneney (founder of Deer Search) and he was interested in purchasing a pup from my female if I ever breed her.......finding a good male close by is my biggest challenge when there are so few of these dogs in the States......
    Last edited by TexasGuy; March 4th, 2005 at 12:06 PM.

ttt

Reply to subject

Hello
    Back in the 60's the game warden gave us permission to use a dog to fine the deer from a blood trail.

We had to leave our bow in our auto.

I chose the little beagal to use to track my blood trails.

They seem to do a good job for me.

Later
    Unk

The German breeds have tracking in them. The Deutch Drathaar (the original German wirehair), Deutch Kurzhaar(German shorthair) and the Drathaar Dachsund, for example, all have to demonstrate tracking to even be looked at for breeding. The breed standards for hunting dogs is much greater in Germany than what we have here.

My DD tracked and caught his first crippled buck at 7 months and was standing birds at 4 months. His strength is water retrieves. He's loud on rabbit tracks.

My fathers DD is a good bird dog and tracker.
    "You got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em,
    Know when to walk away and know when to run.
    You never count your money when you're sittin' at the table."
    PSE Phenom, Supra ME, DNA SP
    Stan ShootOff and JustX releases for hunting, foam and paper!

Years ago I had a bloodhound. It was the meanest dog I ever owned. Got him as a puppy and took him squirrel hunting with me every time I went. About everyday. He turned out to be a great hunting dog. If you can get him to hunt. he will be a good tracking dog I believe. They hunt totally by scent. I treed squirrels, coons, bobcats and holed many a groundhog with him. I would like another one but most big name breeders want an arm and 2 legs for a puppy.