Archery Talk Forum banner

Longbow or Recurve?

12K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Long Rifle 
#1 ·
Hey folks I've been practicing for several months with a 35# recurve and want to buy a new bow. My main objective is hunting deer and elk can ya'll give me some of your idea's on the subject longbow vs recurve. I've heard the longbow is more forgiving of minor errors but the recurve is faster. Thanks for any info or opinion you can give me

#2 ·
I'd say with the exception of very modern longbows which use recurve riser geometry and grip style, recurves are both faster and easier to shoot. Longbows can be quieter, but that is subjective.

The only time I'd say a recurve is harder to shoot is if you are comparing a very short recurve to a longbow, in that case the longer bow is usually the easiest to shoot.

-Grant

#5 ·
I'm new to archery and I own a recurve.

I was looking to upgrade and tried several recurves and one longbow at the local shop, I forget the brand but the longbow was twice the price of the recurves I was trying. ($400+) the longbow had a distinctively different feel to it and I didn't really like it. If I was just catalog shopping I may have picked the longbow, I'm glad I didn't!

#7 ·
A short recurve is easier to crouch behind some bush or tree with whilst awaiting the game ... Longbows get problematic in the thick brush .... Harder to maneuver in a tree too ... But work super as a stick for moving snakes out of the way ... :thumbs_up

#8 ·
Just another thought ... for Hunting (the theme ^ ) A longbow has the distinct advantage of being able to cast a longer Heavier arrow , for more knock down power... It’s the Leverage of the longer limbs .... Recurves don’t do well with heavier arrows , longbows are unimpressive with really light arrows ... Two very different styles of bows for different purpose ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.