Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbon arrow through the hand picture

Carbon arrow through the hand picture

Hey everyone, i hope this one hasn't been posted yet. I saw this over on another hunting forum and wanted to share the pain.

Here is the description that went along with the photo. Don't know if it's true or not, but i can see that happening. I hope it's not a doctored photo.

This photo was taken on a cell phone last week after the guy took his friend
    to Bass Pro Shop to buy his first bow. The clerk was 'assisting' him in
    zeroing it in, and, after shooting several arrows, making adjustments
    etc., the clerk accidently handed him an arrow that was too short.
    When he drew back, the arrow tip fell down onto his hand and he somehow
    released it. They rode to the hospital with the bow in his buddy's hand
    because it impaled his finger also! They are both archery amateurs (I'm
    thinking the clerk is also?). I don't think the guy who got shot ever had
    held a bow prior, let alone shoot one...OUCH!

OUCH.jpg

yeah its been posted here but its still fun to see lol if the story is true then id have that companies butt or a lot of really cool toys

Must have been a light arrow because he didn't get a full pass through.

It looks like the cable is loose. I wonder if it dryfired at the same time?

Nice relaxed grip but the bow could be a little lower in his hand.......
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo / Hoyt Spyder 34 / QAD Ultra HDX / Center Circle Bow Strings / Hogg-It Wrapped / Bee Stinger Stabilizer / Carter RX1 / Carter Too Simple / Tru Ball HT/ NAP Spitfire 100 gr. / Easton ACC 3-49 / Blazers / ASAT Camo / Jim Beam / Copenhagen / Ford Trucks
    **Don't Tread On Me**

This looks Painful!!!
    I dont mean to HiJak your post but this is related.
    A gentlemen in my community was shooting a few weeks ago and was shooting some old arrows. Evidently one of the arrows was damaged and he hadn't noticed. This was the result:harley egnor arrow.jpg
    "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ Our Lord"

Quote Originally Posted by MSWV View Post
    This looks Painful!!!
    I dont mean to HiJak your post but this is related.
    A gentlemen in my community was shooting a few weeks ago and was shooting some old arrows. Evidently one of the arrows was damaged and he hadn't noticed. This was the result:harley egnor arrow.jpg
    once again why i am switching back to aluminum, my hand hurts just looking at that
    PETES ARCHERY
    ARCHERY SHACK STRINGS STAFF www.archeryshack.com
    TEAM 1- CAGE CRUSHERS
    KRACKTERA XL
    VPA BROADHEADS

I had similar happen to me. The arrow had a hairline crack in it and when I shot half the arrow when in my hand and the other half went flying. the arrow ended up splintering all in my hand through the joint of my pointer finger and out the side of my palm. It was a mess 12 hour surgery 6 days in the hospital and a few years of physical thearpy, lost some movement in my finger but no biggie I still shoot. Just alot more aware now I check my arrows for cracks and any damage and I have a Kevlar glove. I don't have a pic of the accident but I have the scars

Very very Similar to this accident
    2011 Mathews Z7 lost camo 65# 28"__ 2012 Mission Craze
    Easton axis FMJ ____________________Easton Flatline doa
    HHA DS XL5519 sight________________Apex Axim 4 pin sight
    8" BH custom stab in lost camo________NAP apache stab
    QAD Ultra rest______________________Wisk er biscuit

Those make my stomach churn everytime! Always scared when I get arrows slapping each other. Everyone make sure you check your arrows good!
    Panhandle Archers for Christ--Chairman
    www.panhandlearchers.com

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood88 View Post
    once again why i am switching back to aluminum, my hand hurts just looking at that
    It can still happen with aluminium arrows, though they are less prone to shattering. All arrows should be inspected for any signs of damage or failure. Cracks, bends, fractures, damaged knocks, deep gouges etc. can all lead to potentially harmful failure.

Though I do find it to be especially bad with carbons... the shards protuding through different parts of the hand, bits of carbon breaking off into the flesh, splinters etc. would be much worse than a clean hole.

sorry to hear about the accident to the op. what about the kevlar glove? i have heard a little about this where can i find out some more info about possibly buying one? thanks

That hurts just looking at it.
    The Lord Jesus Christ is our saviour. Only he can give us eternal life.

Is that a Bowtech? The arrow in the middle finger? How in the hell did that happen? photo shop

Where is all the blood? I've seen this pic a few times now and the more I look at it, the more it looks like its photo shopped.

It would seem like that bow would have a lot of blood on it even IF they got the bleeding to stop, which I doubt due to the locations of the wounds.
    I cut my arrows twice and they're still too short.

You cannot hit what you cannot see.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter 58 View Post
    Where is all the blood? I've seen this pic a few times now and the more I look at it, the more it looks like its photo shopped.

It would seem like that bow would have a lot of blood on it even IF they got the bleeding to stop, which I doubt due to the locations of the wounds.
    you know how hard it is to pull your carbon arrow from a target? same thing here. the arrow is too tight in the wound to allow blood to seep out.
    2011 Martin Onza ~ Tru-Glo Xtreme ~ QAD Ultra HD ~ Smooth Stability Stab ~ Tight Spot
    2004 Martin Phantom II ~ Nitrous B Shoot-thru ~ Elite Limbs ~ Martin Steel Rest ~ Sure-Loc/Black Eagle
    2007 Martin Slayer ~ Nitrous C Shoot-thru ~ Brite Site Tuner Rest Sure-Loc/Black Eagle
    NRA Life Member

I seen a brand new arrow snap and go through a hand but not hand and finger. That's something that could have been avoided.
    BowTech Pro Staff 2006-2012, Team QAD, Bowjax, NY State Bow/Hunter Education Instructor and Licensed Guide. NYSCC region 6 Archery Representative. Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by happyhunter62 View Post
    sorry to hear about the accident to the op. what about the kevlar glove? i have heard a little about this where can i find out some more info about possibly buying one? thanks
    Go check out www.shootingedgetech.com
    It's called protx Kevlar armored Hand guard. It's light weight comfortable and it's reassurance just kinda keeps that accident off my mind so I can concentrate on shooting. But mainly inspect your arrows regulary

And for the person thats asking for the blood.. I had like a few drops of blood come out of my hand it was just like that it won't bleed because there's something plugging the hole. That's not photoshoped
    2011 Mathews Z7 lost camo 65# 28"__ 2012 Mission Craze
    Easton axis FMJ ____________________Easton Flatline doa
    HHA DS XL5519 sight________________Apex Axim 4 pin sight
    8" BH custom stab in lost camo________NAP apache stab
    QAD Ultra rest______________________Wisk er biscuit

Quote Originally Posted by td051 View Post
    I seen a brand new arrow snap and go through a hand but not hand and finger. That's something that could have been avoided.

Not a broken arrow. It was too short and fell off the rest at draw. Then release... and that is how it got both hand and finger. Sure it could have been avoided but its not the same as most broken arrow accidents. If the story is true they were newer to archery. I've had arrows bounce off my rest during the draw but never fired the arrow when that happened. Still hurts I bet.
    2012 Bowtech Invasion
    2012 Mathews Heli-M
    2012 Elite Pure

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter 58 View Post

look at the wrist sling, its been cut. Maybe to let the guys hand relax more do to pain.

Quote Originally Posted by beauhunner View Post
    look at the wrist sling, its been cut. Maybe to let the guys hand relax more do to pain.
    Yeah I know. But something still doesnt look right about that pic. And I aint buying that the arrow is too tight to allow it to bleed either. You cant tell me that Blazers would be that tight so as to seal up the bleeding.

It could be ligit but something just doesnt look right to me.
    I cut my arrows twice and they're still too short.

You cannot hit what you cannot see.

I was lucky

I snapped an arrow 2 inches in front of the nock one time, and got off easy with a string scrape on my arm, very thankful the snap didnt happen further forward or I would have a pic to add to this thread...

Doesn't have to be any blood present. Had a spike ran through my hand and finger and not one drop of blood fell. Did at the hospital when they pulled it out! I almost fell too. Talk about pressure. And then they soaked my hand in some green stuff.... That brough the tears.......
    Pearson MarXman, Limb Driver, Muddy Virtue HT3s, Bohning vanes, Sure Loc Challenger,
    Super Ball Peep, Stanislawski MagMicro Trio, Onyx, Blackjack and TRU Ball ST360, 30" Cartel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bow C Fuss View Post
    Is that a Bowtech? The arrow in the middle finger? How in the hell did that happen? photo shop
    Yeah...I'm not saying this isn't true, but something about the entrance etc. just looks funny just like a photoshop...I don't think it would bleed much, but look at the other pictures. At least a little bit of blood is coming out. It just looks fake to me, definitely could be wrong though and definitely could happen even if it is fake...

Quote Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
    Halairious must have been a hoyt just kiddin

Quote Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
    or he was using rage heads
    If there is a way to shoot myself in the foot, I would most likely miss anyway.
    Illinois Bowhunters Society member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast