Thread: Mathews draw length

Mathews draw length

I'm new to bows and I've got a lead on a left handed Mathews Switchback LD for sale. It has a 31" draw length and I need around a 29.5" draw length.
    In order to achieve my draw length would I need to replace the cam, string and cables?

You would just need to replace the cam as they use the same strings and cable lengths. However most Mathews bows run 1/2+ long on their stated draw lengths. Best thing to do is put the bow on a draw board now and measure it's actual draw length and not it's stated draw length.

Go with 28 1/2 or 29 inch cam, but do like spotshooter said. Mathews run long

My new Mathews Z7 Mag says 29.5 draw on the limb. It pulls more like.........29.5!!! My bow shop, Full Draw Archery in Omaha, has been selling Mathews bows forever. Top 100 seller in the nation. They say that is the biggest load of crap!! If you need a 29.5, I recommend buying a 29.5 cam.
    '11 Mathews Z7 Mag 29.5/67
    QAD HDX Rest
    Cobra Sights
    Axion Stab
    Beman ICS Hunters 100 gr Spitfires

In my experience they do run a little long. Minimax cams may be the exception. Id' suggest a 29" cam and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by kyates80 View Post
    My new Mathews Z7 Mag says 29.5 draw on the limb. It pulls more like.........29.5!!! My bow shop, Full Draw Archery in Omaha, has been selling Mathews bows forever. Top 100 seller in the nation. They say that is the biggest load of crap!! If you need a 29.5, I recommend buying a 29.5 cam.
    Then you would be wrong. Have you ever put one on a draw board and measured, I have.

Ya, I nromally am a 27.5 but on my Z7 Xtreme I am a 27.
    -Jimmy
    2011 Mathews Z7 (camo riser, black limbs)
    QAD Ultra Rest HDX, G5 Rock
    Gold Tip Hunter XT (5575 - 354 grains) w/Montecs
    Scott Shark Release

I have also noticed Mathews bows run about a 1/2" long, when I buy Mathews I always buy 1/2" shorter draw length than My norm for other bows, I thought this was common knowledge around bow shops....................Hb

Quote Originally Posted by VaHillbilly View Post
    I have also noticed Mathews bows run about a 1/2" long, when I buy Mathews I always buy 1/2" shorter draw length than My norm for other bows, I thought this was common knowledge around bow shops....................Hb
    This statement always gets me-----MY NORMAL draw length. It is a ball park figure at best there is NO such thing as a normal draw length with a bow. Why do I say this----- you set the bow to the person not the person to the bow. Every bow has it quirks on draw length and from one bow to another it can vary as much as a whole inch. Again you set a bow to the person. The draw length you think you are only gets you in the ball park.

To the OP you just need to change the cam not the string and cable. My suggestion is go to a pro shop and have them check your draw length for that bow.
    Have a good day and a better hunt

The string and cables should be fine on the switchback, I think it's just the q2 and sq2 that you have different lengths for longer draws.

I shoot a 28" draw and shoot a 28" in the Z7, Drenalin, and DXT.
    Hoyt Faktor
    QAD Ultra Rest HDX
    HHA DS 5519
    Gold Tip Pro Hunter 300's