a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Who makes the lightest weight crossbow?

Who makes the lightest weight crossbow?

Just was playing around with an older bow. Its called the Hickory creek 23 magnum. I killed a 500lb black bear back in 2003 with an earlier model same basic bow. Anyway I put on their new inline draw lock. With sights and rest draw loc and everything it now weighs 6.4 lbs. Pretty good for a crossbow. While I had the scales out I measured the draw weight to be 57lbs and the trigger pull 2.6lbs. Smooth and light trigger.
    I don't know why, I can shoot a compound more accurate than I can a crossbow off hand, but I definately can. With that in mind. It would be much cheaper for someone who can no longer pull their compound bow to buy a inline drawlock and put it on their exhisting bow. The inline draw lock is about $200. Much cheaper than a crossbow and you already have a proven compound bow paid for.

Jim Litmer VP Sales www.thirdhandarchery.com 1-800-339-0232
    International customers please order by email thirdhandinc@twc.com

The original Made in the USA

"Hunt safe today, so you can hunt again tomorrow".

excalibur and the bowtech stryker series
    Mathews MR7 orange smoke
    Strykezone 350/380 Xb30 scope
    Scorpyd Velocity, Leupold VX3 4.5 x 14 50 scope, 22" Exacutioner arrows
    Scorpyd Orion, Leupold VX6 2 x 12 42 scope, 22'' Exacutioner arrows

I bought one for 150 bucks put it on a Martin, 70 pound bow. It's a right hand bow and I currently ( had to switch..eye problems), shoot it left handed. It shoots the same as an xbow at 20 yards. Can only shoot one arrow at a time, found out after destroying two. Don't know the total weight. but it's light. The trigger is a bit of a hair trigger, I set it off prematurely until I understood what I had. If these things were legal in NY I wouldn't have bought a xbow. You have to have a broken arm or something.......I don't qualify. These things are fun to shoot and you can cock a 70 pound bow with one hand. And uncock it without shooting.

I'll stay with my 12lb. crossbow. I shoot alot higher scores at the 3D archery shoots. I like to shoot 3D archery with 6-9 prower scope and the compound don't have that. I don't trust my compound to kill a deer farther then 20 yards. My crossbow can kill a deer up to 40 yards. The crossbow is a better choice for my use.
    TenPoint Titan TL-9 #100 Crossbow
    Tasco 2.5-10x42mm Mil-Dot Scope
    Easton Fatboys 500's - 18"
    QuickSpins 1 1/2"
    Tenpoint Crossbows Rule

I got my daughter a Horton TRT to shoot...its a pretty darn light crossbow...she's 8yrs old and she shoot's it great off a Primos' Trigger stick.
    Blacked Out Mathews Chill 28/70 .....HHA XL5519, QAD HDX, KTech 5 twin, T3 Quiver, Gold Tip XT 75/95's and Rage Chisel Broadheads

Mathews Drenalin 28/70....HHA DS XL5519, WB , B Stinger, GT XT 75/95's, and Rage Chisel Broadheads

Quote Originally Posted by no1huntmaster View Post
    excalibur and the bowtech stryker series
    Excalibur and Striker, Are they both lighter than 6.4 lbs.
    A good number of crossbowers turn to crossbows because of a disability or just don't have the strength needed to pull a compound. It is because of the strength issue this thread was started. Trying to help fellow AT'ers that either don't have the strength to hold a heavy crossbow or the $$$$ to buy one.

Ten point tl is a fine bow. What the thread is looking for is a legal crossbow lighter weight than 6.4.

thirdhandman ...I shoot right handed so my left arm has to hold the forearm of the bow ....that said I have had my left shoulder rebuilt 2 times and my right once leaving my left shoulder with 20% usage [industrial accident] ...bottom line is I searched many months holding and shooting bow after another and the only one I could hold up at all was the Horton TRT ultralite ..because the frontend is much lighter than all of the others plus it is very lite to begin with

Bear

Quote Originally Posted by thirdhandman View Post

What the thread is looking for is a legal crossbow lighter weight than 6.4.
    My Excalibur Vortex comes in at 6.3...

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/cat...rossbow/vortex

That is pretty darn good and another good choice for those in the need because of strength issues. Now it comes to money issue also as anyone that can't carry a heavy bow is going to need a mechanical cocker to cock a 200 lb bow.

Ive got a 2010 barnett jackel 4-sale 7.7 pounds pm me if intrested

I think if you check the weight of a MiddletonDTM 330, it is right at 5lbs even. Any weight after that is what you put on it. I have a DTM 355 just a tad over 5lbs stock. Feels like a feather compared to others. Also have a Hickory Creek in line that just arrived to put my own touches on it, have a custom modded Scorpyd 125 and a new Telson on the way.

I dont know how MIddleton does it, but it is as light as a Hickory Creek, but has a nice solid feel and heft to it.

Lightest (quality) bows on market to my knowledge is either the Middleton 330 or the Hickory Creek. Got em both now as well as a couple of Scorpyds and a Devastator.

Light physical weight crossbows

The Horton Ultra Lite Express is still the lightest weight (5.9 lbs) conventional crossbow I've seen. For that reason, it is a sweet hunting crossbow.....loud shooting but sweet:-) The Stryker 350 and 380 are in the 6 lb range. From there the other compound crossbow weights go up, some WAY up. I've weighed a couple that, fully equipped with a quiver, arrows, scope and sling, weigh over 13 lbs. Many crossbow hunters are older guys that previously bowhunted with 3 to 4 lb vertical bows and heavy crossbows are a turnoff for them. Those old shoulder and arms have a hard time hauling heavy crossbows around. The trend is towards lighter and less expensive crossbows.

The Draw Lock and Inline from Hickory Creek are 2 nice alternatives for weight sensitive and physically challenged folks. The Draw Lock is for converting conventional vertical compound bows so that they can be held at full draw until the hunter is ready to shoot. I have one on a Mathews Menace that is a small light weight compound bow that adjusts from 17 to 30 inch draw and draw weights up to 50 lbs. It's an ideal little bow for the Draw Lock.

The Inline is one cool alternative to a conventional crossbow. It is veryersatile in that it can be converted from vertical to horizontal configuration and in vertical position it can also be changed from right hand to left hand use! I've had a ball shooting one since I had shoulder surgery in March. It was the only crossbow I could possibly cock and shoot for several months. The one I have draws 71 lbs and shoots a 401 grain arrow right at 290 fps. Not bad:-) and string/cable/serving wear is virtually non existent. It's also very quiet shooting. Here is a photo of my horizontal Inline setup. I mounted a Ten Point Steddy Eddy (spelling??) on it and it's sweet:-) and still light weight.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MOON

Super Small (SS) Recurve Crossbows - The Future of Recurve Hunting Crossbows

Photo of the Draw Lock

Mounted on the Mathews Menace vertical compound bow. For guys with physical and age related problems that want to keep shooting their existing vertical, this is the ticket:-) Note that the pistol grip and trigger can be configured in either horizontal or downward postion. I shoot both the the Inline and Draw Lock with the trigger in the horizontal position, as I did when I used back tension triggers back in the good ole days:-)
    MOON

Lightest weight conventional crossbows

that I've seen (Horton Ultra Lite and Stryker 350/380):
    MOON

Middleton DTM315 lbs. 315 fps 5lbs.
    Derrick Middleton
    Middleton Crossbow

Makers of the worlds, fastest and lightest recurve crossbows we also shoot our advertised speed Guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    that I've seen (Horton Ultra Lite and Stryker 350/380):

I like both of these bows both in the top five in my opinion.
    Mathews MR7 orange smoke
    Strykezone 350/380 Xb30 scope
    Scorpyd Velocity, Leupold VX3 4.5 x 14 50 scope, 22" Exacutioner arrows
    Scorpyd Orion, Leupold VX6 2 x 12 42 scope, 22'' Exacutioner arrows

Derrick, can you post photos of your bows? I noticed, when I shot one of your bows a while back, it seemed lighter in weight than the Excal. I attributed that mostly to the thinner limbs. I have not seen a recent model. Dealers? Where are they available? Thanks
    MOON

Quote Originally Posted by MiddletonCrossb View Post
    Middleton DTM315 lbs. 315 fps 5lbs.
    My DTM 375 is about 5.1 lbs without the scope. It is lighter than the excel vortex my son has and shoots a 380 ish gr arrow about 370 fps. I also have a Barnett predator that shoots nice, but feels like a tank in weight comparison. Truly a nice lite weight xbow, you would like it moon

Moon one of my limbs weighs 6.2 ounces the excal weighs 7.3 ounces, the weight difference is not the limbs alone. In 2005 when each parts was individually designed we skimmed weight off on each individual part, it is more difficult than it sounds because detail must be given to the individual component and the end use.
    Derrick Middleton
    Middleton Crossbow

Makers of the worlds, fastest and lightest recurve crossbows we also shoot our advertised speed Guaranteed.

How about some photos? :-)
    MOON

Pictures

Moon what pictures would you like, product shots or specific areas on the bow. What dpi are most of you using on uploaded pictures. I tried to do a couple it said system not available is that due to size.
    Derrick Middleton
    Middleton Crossbow

Yes, 640x480 will work. Both product shots and specific areas that ou want to show:-)
    MOON

I would say a Middleton as far as a quality crossbow, although a Barnett panzer v (recurve) weighs less than 5 pounds. But then the performance is not is the same category.

Todd