Thread: How long can I keep deer meat in the fridge?

How long can I keep deer meat in the fridge?

Shot a doe last night on Monday. The meat will still be fine come Thursday surely right? Can't remember the sanitation guidelines for storing meat in a fridge...

yep

Thanks bsites9

Should be fine. Let your nose be your guide, especially when you start cooking the venison. You will know!
    ....................Sent via Overland Pony Express.............

"We've upped our standards. Up yours"

the meat should be fine, just watch out for that funk smell
    .. This is my Fathers world, And to my listening ears All nature sings and round me rings The music of the Spheres . This is my Fathers World! I rest me in the thought Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas-His hand the wonders wrought.

If I kill a deer in warm weather I like to leave the meat in the cooler on ice or fridge for several days before cutting it up to let it cure and bleed out before processing it.
    If it's Brown it's Down...
    Strother Infintiy 29"/65lbs 404gr GT XT Hunters tipped with T3's and ST, Limbdriver, Stokerized, MBG Flashpoint,Firenocks

same here thats why I figured it would be

The key (trick) to storing unprocessed venison in the fridge is maximizing air contact and minimizing meat contact. Believe it or not, freshly butchered meat keeps better in the fridge if you allow air to get to the meat. The easiest way I've found to do this is to load buss tubs (meat lugs) with freshly boned out venison so that it's only one layer deep and none of the meat lays on itself or on other meat. Then I load them into my garage fridge uncovered and they'll keep very well for up to two weeks if I can't get to them right away.

I used to put my boned out venison meat into gallon zip lock bags and then stored them in the same fridge. The meat would start discoloring and rotting inside the bags within just a couple days. Now that I let the refrigerated air get to the meat, I never have spoiled meat. Then, I have plenty of time to get my grinder out and finish up the processing.
    Hoyt Ultra-Tec Shooter
    QDMA Member / Certified Master Tree Farmer
    Owner of Oakridge BBQ LLC- Maker of: ~ Venison, Game Bird & Chicken, and Competition BBQ Rubs ~
    Visit our AT Classifieds Ad for more info about Oakridge BBQ rubs!
    Special Thanks to Jesus Christ, my Lord, Savior & Hunting Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Trump View Post
    The key (trick) to storing unprocessed venison in the fridge is maximizing air contact and minimizing meat contact. Believe it or not, freshly butchered meat keeps better in the fridge if you allow air to get to the meat. The easiest way I've found to do this is to load buss tubs (meat lugs) with freshly boned out venison so that it's only one layer deep and none of the meat lays on itself or on other meat. Then I load them into my garage fridge uncovered and they'll keep very well for up to two weeks if I can't get to them right away.

I used to put my boned out venison meat into gallon zip lock bags and then stored them in the same fridge. The meat would start discoloring and rotting inside the bags within just a couple days. Now that I let the refrigerated air get to the meat, I never have spoiled meat. Then, I have plenty of time to get my grinder out and finish up the processing.
    Doesn't it dry out?

I used to put my boned out venison meat into gallon zip lock bags and then stored them in the same fridge. The meat would start discoloring and rotting inside the bags within just a couple days
    I did that one year, and ruined half my deer meat. I really want to make a rack, and find an old fridge, and hang the meat in there, and let it age like mentioned above. I dont think it will dry out. This is how you see beef aged.
    .. This is my Fathers world, And to my listening ears All nature sings and round me rings The music of the Spheres . This is my Fathers World! I rest me in the thought Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas-His hand the wonders wrought.

As soon I get it back to the garage. We process it down to quarters. Big enough to fit in the fridge to cool. We usually leave it overnight in the fridge to cool. We finish processing it out the next morning, the meat is easier to cut when slightly chilled. We mainly hunt September when it's hot. So as soon as we put a critter down and get it back. The hide comes off asap and cleaned and into the fridge to cool. When grinding, i like the meat to be partially frozen. it's easier to cut and it seems to run through the grinder much easier without jamming the grinder. I do a lot of smoking of meats and fish. i still have venison sausage and summer sausage from 2 seasons ago. I do triple bag everything and mark down the contents with the species and date. Then it goe's into the freezer. I use plastic wrap for the first layer closest to the meat then two wraps of Freezer paper. I haven't lost any meat or fish to freezer burn. I make sure to remove as much air as possible. My .2 cents.
    Lord, I thank You for the opportunity to go out on the hunt. I thank You for the time alone to think and reflect on life. I thank You for the time with hunting friends, enjoying good fellowship, good stories, meals and drinks. Thank You for the beauty seen during the hunt and for the game taken and shared. I thank You especially for a safe hunt for myself and for all the hunters who share the field. AMEN.