a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: PA bow hunting laws

PA bow hunting laws

can anyone tell me if archery hunting is legal during every season? i just moved up from NC where you can bowhunt from start of hunting season to the end. just curious and i want to make sure before i head out.

Mathews DXT
    QAD Ultra Pro Camo Rest
    HHA Single Pin
    Carbon Express Maxima
    Rage 2-blade

PA bowhunting

Yes

yes
    2011 Hoyt CRX32
    Spott Hogg- Hogg It Sight
    Trophy Taker Drop Away
    >>>---------Let ONE Fly---------->

In the right areas in PA, you can hunt deer with a bow from mid September through the end of January with few breaks in between.

thanks guys
    Mathews DXT
    QAD Ultra Pro Camo Rest
    HHA Single Pin
    Carbon Express Maxima
    Rage 2-blade

Be mindful that in small game/possibly other firearms seasons you may have to wear or display orange.

Quote Originally Posted by big buddha View Post
    can anyone tell me if archery hunting is legal during every season? i just moved up from NC where you can bowhunt from start of hunting season to the end. just curious and i want to make sure before i head out.
    Archery equipment is considered legal for all forms of hunting in PA regardsless as to whether or not that species has an archery only season. PA does however require broadheads of cutting edge design(mechanicals are allowed) for all archery hunting(small game included).

During overlaps with the early muzzloader season and the youth rifle season archers must wear 250 square inches of flouresant orange at all times. During fall turkey, must wear 250 square inches of flouresant orange while moving and display 100 square inches within 15 feet of your stand. During any rifle season(bear and deer) must wear 250 square inches of flouresant orange at all times. Small game hunters regardless of weapon used must wear 250 square inches of flouresant orange at all times. Must wear a SOLID flouresant orange hat at all times while hunting groundhogs. During spring turkey season no orange is required regardless of hunting method.

I will mention that in most areas of PA, during any of the rifle seasons it will be darn near impossible to archery hunt with other hunters typically putting on drives
    2009 PSE Xforce GX 60#/27 1/2"(283 fps w/366 grain arrow)
    2011 PSE Omen Pro 60#/27 1/2"(298 fps w/382 grain arrow)
    2011 PSE Bow Madness XL 55#/27 1/2"(258 fps w/386 grain arrow)
    2011 PSE Axe-6 58#/27 1/2"(IBO)(298 fps w/300 grain arrow), 55#(ASA)/27 1/2"(287 fps w/305 grain arrow)

You are alloud to take both during muzzle loader as well. I packed my bow and carried the flintlock. I wouldnt suggest this if you are using a climber but a ladder stand works great
    SUMMIT TREESTAND ARE THE ONLY WAY TO GO!

You do need to purchase an archery tag which is an additional $16 after you buy your license.

Quote Originally Posted by whitetail101 View Post
    Archery equipment is considered legal for all forms of hunting in PA regardsless as to whether or not that species has an archery only season. PA does however require broadheads of cutting edge design(mechanicals are allowed) for all archery hunting(small game included).

During overlaps with the early muzzloader season and the youth rifle season archers must wear 250 square inches of flouresant orange at all times. During fall turkey, must wear 250 square inches of flouresant orange while moving and display 100 square inches within 15 feet of your stand. During any rifle season(bear and deer) must wear 250 square inches of flouresant orange at all times. Small game hunters regardless of weapon used must wear 250 square inches of flouresant orange at all times. Must wear a SOLID flouresant orange hat at all times while hunting groundhogs. During spring turkey season no orange is required regardless of hunting method.

I will mention that in most areas of PA, during any of the rifle seasons it will be darn near impossible to archery hunt with other hunters typically putting on drives
    When are archers required to begin wearing fluorescent orange clothing for the upcoming early archery season?
    Archers must wear 250 squares of fluorescent orange clothing while moving about and mark their stands with alert bands during any overlap the early statewide muzzleloader antlerless deer or special firearms seasons. A recent regulatory change requires archers to wear a hat containing a minimum of 100 square inches of fluorescent orange while moving during any overlap with the fall wild turkey season

If you kill a deer with a bow in rifle season in PA you will impress the heck out of me. Once rifle season starts where I hunt, deer run around crazy or either bed down and don't move till dark. But, anything is possible.

Use the masses to score with a bow during rifle season. Go to out of the way places that get overlooked, especially thick areas. The thicker the better. Also you can bowhunt 50 yds from a house, but gun toters cannot. Some of my best places are right behind houses. Once the gun shooting starts the deer run for safety, right up to the backyards! Now make sure you have permission and all that first, but it can be done. Swamps, thickets, briar patches, anywhere the average hunter won't go. Think outside the box!

ok i understand wearing the orange during the early muzzleloader season and also during the youth hunt. after that do i need to wear orange, even though im in 5B where there is no fall turkey season?

killing a deer with a bow around me isn't that hard during rifle if you know where to hunt....I have a lot of small parcels that are not okay for rifles as it is surrounded by areas that are. guess where deer run once rifle hunters take to the woods? hehehe
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me........

anyone know about the orange requirement?

Killing deer with a bow in rifle season is a little more challenging, not bad though. I've killed several does and a buck (usually tagged out on buck). You need to be on the spot for sure, Thick cover is the key. Most rifle hunters want to see hundreds of yards and sit in more open areas.

They can be called in if cover is thick, pressure is always bad the first day and first Saturday. Other than that you just have to hunt in the thickest cover you have and get in there undetected. Rifle season you need 250 sq. inches of orange on chest and back & 100 on your head even if your bow hunting.
    JBK Bowstrings Why shoot anything else? www.JBKStrings.com
    BLACK EAGLE ARROWS