Thread: Heater Body Suit HBS review

Heater Body Suit HBS review

Hi all...thought I would give you my opinion on the new HBS that I just picked up off AT Classifieds.

The weather was about 40deg and a 30+ NW wind. Dropped down to 32deg just before sundown. All I was wearing was camo jeans and a Camo long sleeved shirt...no extra long underwear or anything. I got up in the stand and put on my harness...a must as far as I am concerned with the HBS. I had tried it on at home so I was familiar with putting it on. When I started putting it on I somehow got the upper part of it under my stand and was standing on the middle part...weird I know it but it happened. I got that all figured out and got situated in it. I practiced slipping out of it and it was pretty quiet and worked well.

I will say that that thing was very warm. The only thing that got chilly was my melon head because I forgot to bring my hat! It was very comfortable and I didn't feel awkward in it in the least. One thing I do have a complaint about was the criss-cross straps that you put over you. When I was sitting down I was moving my head back and forth looking around and the straps were cutting into the side of my neck. I loosened the straps all the way up but they still bothered me. As I was sitting there I figured out what I was going to do to take care of the problem. When I got home I made some fleece covers for the elastic straps. I will try them out the next time I go out and see if they help. I will give it a better...colder...try out in the near future, but this thing is pretty awesome!
    Ryan
    Saratoga Archery Club Member
    2012 Martin Onza

Thanks for the thoughts.
    I will probably be buying one of the HBS or Warmbags soon.
    PSE HF Dream Season
    PSE Diablo
    Parker Tornado

The HBS is far superior to the warmbag in my experience

HBS is probably the single most valuable piece of equipment I have bought... Cant beat staying warm.,

To add to my review...with it on I heard a deer crashing towards me from the north and I quickly stood slipped it off and had my bow in my hand before she got past me. Just mere seconds and I was ready to shoot. I was very surprised how quick I got out of it to shoot.
    Ryan
    Saratoga Archery Club Member
    2012 Martin Onza

Quote Originally Posted by Backstrapz View Post
    HBS is probably the single most valuable piece of equipment I have bought... Cant beat staying warm.,
    Me too - love mine, when I can get it from my son. Need to break down and buy another one.
    "One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." ~~ Jose Ortega y Gasset

Quote Originally Posted by bdeal View Post
    The HBS is far superior to the warmbag in my experience
    NOW wait a minutethats going a long way.
    WARMBAG has things i like more than the HBS.i know both owners and have talked to both.
    HBS ,no doubt is warmer than the WB.its made with heavier material.
    but both are fine down to -6 degrees.both even.
    below that, i agree the HBS should be warmer if all things are same.

but try using the HBS at 35 degrees with drizzle and high winds.
    WB is just ticket .
    you can keep your arms inside with WB.i like that.you can clean your buck out while wearing WB,try that with HBS.
    you can walk in/out WITH wb.try that with HBS.
    you can climb your tree with WB,try that with HBS.

i really did not want to say these things cause i like HBS owner too, his suit is better in certain areas.but for me in pa where temps dont go to zero very often and a lot of times that nasty cold/windy drizzle at 32/35 is norm,WB is very nice.
    in fact, temps are going to 49 degrees this coming week and sproul will be hunting big ems,just get my bow ready and you can bet on those nastys days at 49 degrees,I WILL BE USING THE WB.

Quote Originally Posted by sproulman View Post
    NOW wait a minutethats going a long way.
    I believe thats why he said "in his experience"

but try using the HBS at 35 degrees with drizzle and high winds.
    HBS works just fine in those conditions - the new ones (post 2009ish) are water resistant and wind resistant. And as the OP said, he was sitting in 32-40 degrees and 40+ winds..

you can walk in/out WITH wb.try that with HBS.
    Not sure why I would want to?? The point of both of these products is so that you can dress lightly on the walk in, then put it on when you get to the stand...

Nothing against the WB or Joe..Joe is a great guy with excellent customer service, and truly believes in his product. They have made some (IMO) much needed improvements for the new bags..although Im a little disappointed to see they no longer offer it in ASAT (I know the kids dont think its as cool sproul, but it works wonders in the woods!)
    -Mathews DXT, Spot-Hogg Real Deal, QAD HD, STS, Limbsaver X-Coil, Vapor Trail, GT Pro Hunters, and Slick Tricks...

I used the warmbag last season and returned it because it was worthless. The carry big ripped easily and it was so loud it sounded like a bag a potato chips crunching everytime I moved even a little. The HBS is far superior in every way except that the warmbag is lighter and has a lower profile. The only other advantage to the warmbag was the price, but that's not the case anymore. The WB isn't even in the same league as the HBS and the camo selections are terrible to say the least.

Both the HBS and WB are quality products for sure and like any other products both will have their followers and dislikers. I have been a HBS Dealer since 07 and it has been a great seller for me. If you have any questions regarding the HBS suit, send me PM and if you would like buying info. here is the link to my thread in the classifieds http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1586120

FF
    SCORPYD VENTILATOR 125 >>---->Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x50mm, 22" Black Eagle Executioners 432gr., 351fps., 118lbs. KE
    Black Eagle Arrows >>------> Pro Staff

I refuse to pay 300+ for a camo snuggie.

Quote Originally Posted by itsslow98 View Post
    It was the best money I ever spent for anything hunting related in the last 25 years. A snuggie it is not.

My sixth season with the HBS. So far that would be $50 a year to stay toasty warm in Minnesota, in November/December. It's still like new too. Wish I would have had one 25 years ago, no doubt I would have killed more deer. Back then when I was a kid I couldn't make it past 8:00 in the morning without feeling like I was going to freeze to death. All day sits in the same weather are now the norm.
    Steve

"It's a Navy Seal type bow. It works by pulling it back and shooting it."

Someone I work with gave me an HBS to check out. It's a size large and I think I need a large tall. Felt kind of tight in the knees when I was sitting down. Anyhow, I only tried it on in my house but it is definitely something thats going on my Christmas list. I really enjoy hunting the late season and will hopefully have one by then.

Quote Originally Posted by bdeal View Post
    I used the warmbag last season and returned it because it was worthless. The carry big ripped easily and it was so loud it sounded like a bag a potato chips crunching everytime I moved even a little. The HBS is far superior in every way except that the warmbag is lighter and has a lower profile. The only other advantage to the warmbag was the price, but that's not the case anymore. The WB isn't even in the same league as the HBS and the camo selections are terrible to say the least.
    wow

Quote Originally Posted by itsslow98 View Post
    I'll sell you my $150 pac boots, $125 insulated bibs, $150 4-in-1 parka, $30 gloves, and about $75 worth of other layers that no longer get worn since I bought the HBS because there is no comparison to the warmth...

I guess the HBS isnt that expensive when you consider what it replaces
    -Mathews DXT, Spot-Hogg Real Deal, QAD HD, STS, Limbsaver X-Coil, Vapor Trail, GT Pro Hunters, and Slick Tricks...

how is the HBS is a small lock on stand?
    Monsters Inc. BBSK Life Time Member

WE BADDDDD

Thanks for the review... i just picked one up myself... haven't tried it yet...
    Mathews Creed
    HHO Optimizer 5019
    Beman ICS Hunter 400
    NAP SpitFire Maxx
    Rip Cord Code Red