Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadhead Tuning Day Today

Rutnstrut,
    I have had much the same problem as you with one of my bows. The other bow tuned fast.
    A couple of things I have found is that moving the rest up and down affects your right and left some also. It can be a tricky combonation. Another thing you might try is; if you are using one broadhead arrow, set up another one and shoot it too. I have found that I need to use multiple tuning arrows because some just don't fly true, and usually it is the nock that is to blame.
    I am not a tuning Guru, I strugle with it some times just like you. Only trying to help.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by rutnstrut View Post
    This may be a dumb question,but here she goes. Can having a high FOC be making it harder for me to B.head tune,or is 14% not high.
    14% is on the higher end of what is considered best for a hunting arrow, I believe they say something like 10-15% FOC is preferred. However, at shorter distances I don't think it would matter that much. Mine are 12.7%.
    2006 LH Bowtech Old Glory 70#, 32 1/2" draw, back to the Hostage rest, SH 7-pin Hunter, 500gr TR Crush 300 @ 285fps.
    2007 LH Bowtech Commander 60#, 32" draw, Limbdriver rest, BG 5-pin Flashpoint.
    2014 PSE Freak SP 70#, 32" draw, not set up yet.

Quote Originally Posted by rutnstrut View Post
    This may be a dumb question,but here she goes. Can having a high FOC be making it harder for me to B.head tune,or is 14% not high.
    It is a little high, currently that is the problem with my wife's new arrows. She gets more drop in flight than previously, even though her old arrows were heavier they had less FOC so they didn't nose dive as quickly. If you switch to a lighter head it would help, or get heavier fletching or add wraps. You could be getting a weak spine reaction if you have a heavy point weight with that much FOC, but if you know you have the right spine then just shoot it.
    To enter the woods in pursuit of a wild animal, brings my soul alive, It renews the energy within and brings a peace to my life.
    It puts things in perspective, it gives value to life, and perseverance through difficulties.
    It gives me an understanding of what makes me tick!

I've been lurking on this site for about 6 months. I've been a bowhunter for 25 years, but never really got into archery until I bought a new Drenalin last year. I became obsessed with getting maximum tuning and performance out of that bow, partially because I intend to hunt turkeys with it this year. This site also contributed to my desire to improve my archery skills and equipment. I had done paper tuning and modified French tuning and thought my bow was dialed in pretty well. Shooting nice groups out to 30 yds, the farthest I can shoot in my yard. I saw this thread and decided to screw on my fixed blade thunderheads and see what happened. I figured I should be pretty close.

I asked my wife for lipstick and checked vane clearance before starting. Priceless look from her when I asked for lipstick! My broadheads were hitting 3-4 inches to the right of my field points. I adjust my rest slightly and my broadheads hit in the X. I shot a field point and it hit 6 inches left?!? What the heck? This should be easy. Tried going the other direction - everything then hit right. Starting to get frustrated.

Put the rest back, modified French tune back to field points hitting the X. Thinking I might have a spine issue, I back out my limb bolts two turns. No change on fieldpoints, broadheads still hit to the right. Getting dark now, give up and go inside. Read all 7 pages of this post again. Somewhere (probably on page 1) I read to try adjusting your nocks to eliminate fletching contact. But I already did the lipstick trick, so that can't be the problem, right?

Get up early to shoot before work because this is bugging me. Move from cock feather up to cock feather out configuration on my arrow. Shoot broadhead - X. Repeat - another x!! I guess I must have been getting very slight contact with the riser or cable.

Now I didn't have a lot of time to shoot this morning, but based on what I saw, I think I'm really dialed in.

Thanks to everyone here for being such a great resource.

ScottO

Quote Originally Posted by ScottO View Post
    Get up early to shoot before work because this is bugging me. Move from cock feather up to cock feather out configuration on my arrow. Shoot broadhead - X. Repeat - another x!! I guess I must have been getting very slight contact with the riser or cable.
    Now the real question is....where are your fieldpoints hitting in relation to your BH's? Last year I couldn't get my BH's to group any closer than 4" right of FP's. However, out to 60 yards I could get 3" groups with BH's....just not with my FP's. This is where my frustrations began trying to tune to both this past week.
    2006 LH Bowtech Old Glory 70#, 32 1/2" draw, back to the Hostage rest, SH 7-pin Hunter, 500gr TR Crush 300 @ 285fps.

Quote Originally Posted by 5MilesBack View Post
    Now the real question is....where are your fieldpoints hitting in relation to your BH's? Last year I couldn't get my BH's to group any closer than 4" right of FP's. However, out to 60 yards I could get 3" groups with BH's....just not with my FP's. This is where my frustrations began trying to tune to both this past week.
    Since I didn't move my rest or sight, I assumed my FPs wouldn't move with a simple move of fletching. Now that you brought it up, I need to get out and shoot some more FP. I'm at work, so that will need to wait for a couple of hours. Thanks -one more thing to obsess about...

Got some questions and need some help. I just got a 82nd and need to find its centershot. The 82 nd is set at 72 lbs. 26.5 inch draw. I am shooting 28 inch Carbon Tech arrows (9.5 gpi, 300 inch spine). Using a 125 grained tip. I used to use an Allegiance and these arrows worked great even thou they were considered really stiff. Now I have the 82 nd Airborn and it is shooting 280 fps with this set up. Broadheads are hitting right of the field tips. Indicating a weak spine. I would think the spine should be perfect for this setup. I finally got them hitting fairly close but the BH's still seemed to be slightly left of the field tips.

My question is, I have not walk backed tuned yet, but I am going to do it pretty soon. I plan on doing walk back tune at an archery range using field points (tall targets). But the targets are not broadhead targets so I dont think I can do a walk back tune using the broadheads. My question is, if I do a walk back tune using the field points, will I be good to go for shooting BH's. Or is it essential to do the walk back tune method using BH'S too?
    Kifaru International

Quote Originally Posted by jdcamo View Post
    My question is, if I do a walk back tune using the field points, will I be good to go for shooting BH's. Or is it essential to do the walk back tune method using BH'S too?
    Last year I did walk-back tuning out to 60 yards with FP's. Got everything hitting perfectly, but my BH's were still 4" right of FP's. My BH's would group really well, just 4" right of target. I tried fine tuning and couldn't get anything closer than that so moved the sight for hunting last year.

Fast forward to this year......I completely started over, and did paper-tuning at 3, 6, and 20 feet with BH's. Got everything set and now BH's are hitting with FP's out to 60.

ttt for a good thread.

Did some bh tunning yesterday. Got new strings and needed to retune. BH and FP were close from the get go even though I never paper tuned or walkback tuned. I feel like I should do one or the other even though the bow is BH tuned. Does that make sense or should I just be happy that the bow was shooting that well and not worry about paper or walk back?

Quote Originally Posted by jcsanders79-xt View Post
    Did some bh tunning yesterday. Got new strings and needed to retune. BH and FP were close from the get go even though I never paper tuned or walkback tuned. I feel like I should do one or the other even though the bow is BH tuned. Does that make sense or should I just be happy that the bow was shooting that well and not worry about paper or walk back?
    If your fp's and bh's are grouping together...you're good to go Don't de-tune with paper
    What you described is what I did here. I put on a new rest and just eyeballed things and then went right for the BH tuning
    Congrats you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by jcsanders79-xt View Post
    ......I feel like I should do one or the other even though the bow is BH tuned. Does that make sense or should I just be happy....

I would definitely NOT do paper. As Doc suggested, that will detune the bow. If you want to do walk back just to confirm the BH/FP group tune that might be fun.
    Blessed be the Lord, who daily loads us with benefits...the God of our salvation. Psalms 68:19 KJV Hunt 06 Darton Tempest. Beman Field 340s w' NAP QuickSpins & KillZone, F-85 TFO sight Comp 06 Darton Tempest; Victory X-Ringer, ACC 300s. TrophyTaker rest, Tox' sight. Backup 96 Darton Wrangler w' Rev' Archery cams Muzzy rest, TruGlo TFO Hunting bows Anchor Sight optical "No Peep" T.R.U.Ball Sabretooth 4 finger release.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    If your fp's and bh's are grouping together...you're good to go Don't de-tune with paper
    What you described is what I did here. I put on a new rest and just eyeballed things and then went right for the BH tuning
    Congrats you're good to go.
    Thats good news!

Glad to see this one got the stick again

It's about that time of year again and man did this thread help me out

Excellent information for sure. Thanks, Doc
    If you fight fire with fire, all you do is burn your fingers too

Best sticky on this board. Saved a hunt for me last year.

I don't want to sound ingnorant but I have always wanted to know if I tune my BH and then change the blades do I need to retune or would simply spin testing them be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by longarmoflaw View Post
    I don't want to sound ingnorant but I have always wanted to know if I tune my BH and then change the blades do I need to retune or would simply spin testing them be enough.
    As long as you use the same size/weight blades (some head companies have various size blades) and they spin true--->you're good to go

thanks Doc,used your method last week got my broad heads to fly exactly where my fieldpoints hit first time ever.Went on a trip out to california 4 days later and brought this home.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    firstlite.com

Quote Originally Posted by wump View Post
    thanks Doc,used your method last week got my broad heads to fly exactly where my fieldpoints hit first time ever.Went on a trip out to california 4 days later and brought this home.
    Excellent...great job
    Love the success stories
    Congrats on a great trophy

Doc,

I am learning, and find this stuff very interesting. One thing I am not sure I understand is this: If you are paper tuned, then do the BH tuning described, won't moving your rest "untune" your bow with respect to paper tuning? I realize it is important to have the same POI with FP and BH, but do you lose some of the straight arrow flight perfected with the paper tuning?

Thank you,

crawdad

Quote Originally Posted by crawdad View Post
    Doc,

I am learning, and find this stuff very interesting. One thing I am not sure I understand is this: If you are paper tuned, then do the BH tuning described, won't moving your rest "untune" your bow with respect to paper tuning? I realize it is important to have the same POI with FP and BH, but do you lose some of the straight arrow flight perfected with the paper tuning?

Thank you,

crawdad
    If I may interject, I believe the premise is that if you begin with paper tuning and tune the bow to shoot bullet holes, then you won't have to move you're rest much at all to achieve the same POI of the broadheads and fieldpoints. Conversely, if you begin with broadhead tuning then go to paper, you should get good tears. Look at it as a system of checks and balances.
    If you fight fire with fire, all you do is burn your fingers too

Quote Originally Posted by crawdad View Post
    Doc,

Thank you,

crawdad
    No... paper tuning is merely a beginning point. A properly tuned bow will put field points and broadheads in the same spot. If you can do that, throw away your paper tuner and don't even thing twice about it. A field tipped arrow is easy to get good flight out of. A broadheaded arrow that hits the same POI, is being launched from a well-tuned bow.

I use walkback or French tuning to begin with, don't even bother with paper. Then tune the broadhead shafts til they hit the same, and your are good to go.

Oops,

Sorry guys, new reader here did not realize there were 7 pages to read before I posted. I only read the first page and now realize my question has been answered more than once.

By the way, I have been real lucky with my Mathews Legacy, TT shaky hunter, ICS hunter 400 arrows and Muzzy 100gr. 3-blades. I never had to tune any further to get my FP and BH to group together, although I haven't practiced beyond 25 yards much. Plus, my groups are more like a coffee cup than a quarter, anyway.

I may have to BH tune now with a new string and cable, though. Plus my 2 boys are learning to shoot their Browning Micros and soon I will have to see where they shoot a BH.

Thanks for all the info.

I've been waiting for this...........

............to get another sticky for this Fall!
    ArcheryTalk is a Gun Free Zone. Check out www.GunTalkWorld.com for gun related items.
    Sending payment via PayPal Gift option? Bad idea

I'm a little. It seems by the time U were finished, there was a lot of rest moving unless Im reading it wrong but I picture the rest way far to the right and the arrow pointing upward.

Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast