Thread: Help a Newb to pick a low draw weight bow - 25-30#? (and arrow advice)

Question Help a Newb to pick a low draw weight bow - 25-30#? (and arrow advice)

Hello all - I'm a newbie who's been lurking and trying to get educated. I've been bitten by the traditional bow bug and would like to get started the right way - which means if I take the great advice offered here - is to put the ego on hold! So fire away and correct or direct me in the right direction - I'm willing to listen .

1. I plan on starting right with good habits and have a book on order (Viper’s) – but delivery is painfully slow.

2. Never shot before.

3. Goal - Looking to have fun shooting targets and stump shooting. Possibly deer and feral hog hunting.

4. 6'2" 225lbs (but just off hernia surgery 4 months ago - so trying to limit any abdominal strain for the next 6-8 months).

5. Draw Length: I live in a rural area so visiting an archery center isn't an easy option. I've tried four different methods. From these I'm going to assume I'll settle in a bit after practice and arrive at a safe average length of 29 1/2". What do you think? Methods and measurements as follows:
    - 29" (using a yardstick held center of chest and extending fingertips out)
    - 28.8" (72" wingspan divided by 2.5)
    - 28.5" (72" wingspan divided by 15 then divided by 2)
    - 30.5" (draw length measured on a friends 54" long recurve - not too confident in this measurement though)

5. Draw Weight - From reading good advice here, I am willing to choose a light draw weight. I get a little obsessive about mastering stuff - so I would literally like to shoot for an hour or more at a time. I see 30-35# was a good starting point. I was thinking of a bow with 25# risers to start off. From my above draw length, I am estimating from adding anywhere from 3-6# of draw weight to any bow I start with... Thus, 25# + 3-6# = 28-31# final weight. So get the 25# or 30# limbs - or???

6. Bow Selection, I have a limited budget - and after plenty of research - I've got my first recurve bow narrowed down to the Samick Sage (I can't afford an ILS rig - so sub $150 is my range and I don't want to chance a used one). This bow has options of low weight risers from 25#, 30#, 35# up to 60# (IIRC). So this bow would allow me to progress in skill and hunt if I would like.

7. Arrows - I'm leaning towards some of the cheap Easton xx75 Jazz aluminum blue arrows to start with. Would the 1816 be the correct spine with glue in field points? How long should I go with to be on the safe side? 32" too long?

8. String - Should I go with the standard string or upgrade to a Fast Flight right away? I'll be a spare string when I get the bow anyway.

Thanks very much for your time and advice.
    Last edited by cinco; October 23rd, 2011 at 06:15 PM. Reason: butter fingers

cinco -

Actually it sounds like you've got a lot of it figured out already. Based on your height, your draw length will be in the 30 - 31" range -MAYBE. That's about as close as you're going to get with any calculation.

The Sage is a good bow, but if you really can't spring for an ILF rig (and you're really not taking a "chance" with a used one - a lot of people like to upgrade for no real reason...), look at the Samick Polaris instead. It's very similar to the Sage, but comes in a 66" length. You might also consider some of the more entry level Samick ILF risers and Samic or SF limbs for just a little more. Wityh your potential draw length, I'd be a little nervous with the 62" Sage. The risk with those bows is that, if you're really serious about this, you may "out grow" them too quickly.

Regarding draw weight: Add 3 - 5# over what the limbs are rated, due to your DL. For serious training think about limbs in the 24 - 26# range @ 28".

The arrows you mentioned are fine IF they are long enough. 1816s are about 30.5". You may have to go to a 1916 which is about an inch longer (+/-, can't keep track of what Easton is doing thee days).

Make sure the bow you choice is FF capable before you go to a FF type string. Basic rules of thumb is a 12 stand Dacron string or a 14 strand D97 for starters.

Hope that helped, and sorry the book is taking so long to get to you.

Viper1 out.
    “Simple and innocent, however, as it (the bow) appears, and capable as it is of being a trusty friend and ally, a bow is at the same time a watchful enemy, ready to take advantage of the smallest slight.”