Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nebraska rut

Nebraska rut

What are all you Huskers out there seeing for Rut activity? I went out this morning and saw a couple deer - walked the better part of a half section and didn't see much for scrapes or rubs.

I hunt out west of Lincoln and have yet to see any sign of the rut. Hoping it changes this week.
    Carbon Knight 60# at 29". Quad UltraRest HDX. Trophy Ridge 5 pin Site. Scheels Rogue Arrows. Rocket Steelhead 100's
    Assassin 60# at 29". RAK package.

Saw a pretty good primary scrape this AM.

I hunt NW of Lincoln also. Glad to hear that I'm not alone on activity.

hunt in the northeast corner and southeast of lincoln. I have seen chasing in both areas this past week.
    2013 Hoyt Spyder 30~ Easton Fmj 400S~Axt 4 Pin adjustable~ 8 Inch Hoyt stab
    BSH Pro-Staff- Harvest Time Staff Shooter- Dead Center Archery Prostaff
    My Blog: http://hunt-source.blogspot.com/
    Like TNT adventures on Facebook!

Out in nickerson...alot of small scrapes,and 5-6 larger scrapes,within last 4 days 6 new rubs havd appeared...the fighting and sparring is getting louder and more aggressive every morning..still not physically seeing the big boys yet but theyre out tbere.headin to property in auburn on wednesday for a week long hunt,will let ya guys know how that pans out.

Few pics for entertainment value

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Goodluck on your hunt!
    2013 Hoyt Spyder 30~ Easton Fmj 400S~Axt 4 Pin adjustable~ 8 Inch Hoyt stab
    BSH Pro-Staff- Harvest Time Staff Shooter- Dead Center Archery Prostaff
    My Blog: http://hunt-source.blogspot.com/
    Like TNT adventures on Facebook!

ttt

Got out for over half the day today. Trick or Treating brought me home early. Had a little 2 by 2 come in today. Also saw a couple scrapes and rubs. I have high hopes for this coming weekend!

Hopefully this colder weather moving in over the next few days will help. I have noticed a few more scrapes and rubs over the last week. While in my treestand I have seen a couple smaller bucks bumping does, but not any big ones.

I like this thread. I have become a fan of Nebraska hunting in the last 2 years. And after all these years, the only thing I thought Nebraska was good for was Corn Farmers Daughters. I stand corrected. There are excellent hunting opportunities to be had there.

bump for more posts on activity....
    2012 Elite Pure; HHA OL5519; G5 Expert; Posten Slim Jim

It's been dead here as far as movement. What we are seeing are the few deer we've seen start moving about sundown and nothing before that. I think the G&P is taking a toll on the does with all their special, extended seasons. I've hunted my own property and surrounding areas for the last 16 years and two years ago I noticed fewer deer sightings. Last year was worse and this year has shown us even less. Trail cameras aren't taking many pics and most all are well before or past shooting hours. I hope the cold front comking in triggers something!
    BowTech's Cheerleader
    Plainsman™ arrow rest staff shooter
    Amanna freezer re-filler
    Allegiance/Tribute FanBoy
    Commander of the Guardian

I will be hunting near Scribner starting on Friday. I hope to see some rutting activity.
    Hoyt Katera, Vaportrail, Trophy Taker Pronghorn, Fuse Carbon Connexion Stab, Spot Hogg Right On, Alpine Soft-Loc, Carbon Express Maxima Hunter 350's, TruBall Boss X, Bowlegs.

Rytera Alien X Blacked Out, QAD HDX, Fuse Carbon Connexion Stab, HHA DS-XL5500, Victory VAP 400 V1's, TruBall Boss X.

We have been seeing some smaller bucks following does this last weekend, not chasing yet but they are following. All of my other hunting spots I have seen nothing like this except for some scrapes. I had a nice little 4x4 around 100" come in to about 15 yards last night and he was pawing at a scrape for a few seconds. Sunday I had 3 bucks following does and every one of them stopped at a scrape and pawed at it lightly and then continued to follow them. These were all in the very north west corner of Saunders county. The deer movement is really picking up. From this last weekend we saw 48 deer, the weekend before that we only saw 4 so it has really picked up.
    * Team 20- Undeertakers*
    Elite Energy 32

I saw 7 on Saturday, but only one small buck...it was the most I've seen all year, though. This year has been dismal at best.
    2012 Elite Pure; HHA OL5519; G5 Expert; Posten Slim Jim

Its going good here...Im in Valentine..been seeing big bucks doin their best to run does to death lol..I shot a nice 4x5 mulie last week chasing does, my brother shot a 6x6 whitetail this morning...I had a huge 4x5 walk under me right at shooting light, but by the time I realized just how big he was...it was too late for a good shot...had several other big 4x4's come by but passed, brother also had a big 6x5 bed up 30 yds away before sunup this morning....lots of big boys showing up...2-4 inches of snow tonight here I heard...morning should be awesome! ITS THAT TIME OF YEAR!!! Good luck fellas.

ya ive seen only a couple spikes making scrapes but im still getting good bucks on trail cam. I hope this front gets them on there feet because i want to kill a biggin!!
    Obsession= the word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated.

3 small bucks working a huge scrape line this past weekend....I've been taking vacation the week before rifle season for 6 years and I can't remember one that was a looking as promising as what this one is calling for....it's about to get real exciting.

Last weekend I seen 17 deer total between two days of hunting. I had 10 Saturday morning within 80-100 yards, but never came my way. There was a set of 3, then about a half hour later a set of 7. Then I kicked up two more on the walk out. All were does. Sunday afternoon at our other spot I had 5 deer in the picked corn eating what they could find. One was a 6 point basket rack, one was a spike, and 3 were does. I got a shot at the one of the does down through the trees. I misjudged the distance and gave her a hair cut. I thought I missed completely, but when I found my arrow there was white belly hair stuck in the Rage blades. I had ranged multiple trees during the first couple hours, and I thought she was between 35 and 40 yards. I shot for 35 and was a little low. Prior to this past weekend I had seen quite a few does here and there, but nothing like Saturday and Sunday. I wouldn't go as far as to say the rut is in full swing, but I'd say its getting close. The deer are moving down here in southeast Nebraska for sure. Good luck to all my fellow Husker bowhunters!

Quote Originally Posted by Bridger Benson View Post
    Its going good here...Im in Valentine..been seeing big bucks doin their best to run does to death lol..I shot a nice 4x5 mulie last week chasing does, my brother shot a 6x6 whitetail this morning...I had a huge 4x5 walk under me right at shooting light, but by the time I realized just how big he was...it was too late for a good shot...had several other big 4x4's come by but passed, brother also had a big 6x5 bed up 30 yds away before sunup this morning....lots of big boys showing up...2-4 inches of snow tonight here I heard...morning should be awesome! ITS THAT TIME OF YEAR!!! Good luck fellas.
    There are no small bucks in valentine!lol man if i could find somewheres to hunt in valentine i tell ya id be one happy bowhunter!! Good luck stickin one of them big boys.

went out sunday and saw 1 buck moving fast with his nose to the ground. I will be out friday night hopefully more will be moving by then.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentElk View Post
    I like this thread. I have become a fan of Nebraska hunting in the last 2 years. And after all these years, the only thing I thought Nebraska was good for was Corn Farmers Daughters. I stand corrected. There are excellent hunting opportunities to be had there.
    unfortunately iowa,illinois,kansas and a few other states had the same potential at one point...now with all the rising publicity the big bucks are dwindling faster than growing..... i tell ya it would sure be nice for once to hit my stand and not have to run off some outta state head hunter lookn to kill my season.

Quote Originally Posted by retribution View Post
    unfortunately iowa,illinois,kansas and a few other states had the same potential at one point...now with all the rising publicity the big bucks are dwindling faster than growing..... i tell ya it would sure be nice for once to hit my stand and not have to run off some outta state head hunter lookn to kill my season.
    If it makes you feel better, I hunt just public areas. Found decent little place nobody seems to hunt for some reason. Great funnel and good deer movement perhaps the mile walk in deters others. It takes me right about 25mins on the nose of straight walking. More like 30-35 on the way out as I collect trash losers have left from years past. Cleaning it is getting easier and I have to look a bit closer to find an old shotgun shell. Picked up maybe 100 on them the other week and small bag of bottles and other junk.

In truth, I like the expanded bag limits. I mean, I can shoot 2 bucks (either sex tag) I get a bonus tag with each buck for a doe and then in my area I can essentially get unlimited doe tags. Last year I took a couple bucks and still let a bunch walk. This year I have already passed on 10 bucks and almost guaranteed a shot if I wanted to take a 1.5yr buck any given day and a chance for a doe every other day. Its just not like that here. I grew up with having a single either-sex tag. You got one deer. thats it. And to boot, the NE population is through the roof. next week I might swing into NE again (I took 3 does last week but passed on the bucks so have 2 buck tags and doe tag on hand) but I have my Colorado buck tag. I am much more likely to see a 140-180 whitetail in Colorado but still not as frequent to see them or have deer as close daily as in NE. In short, I find NE to be nice place to hunt.

I can see how the ability to shoot 2 bucks could be tough on the older deer population though.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast