Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My review of the new Mathews Helim(pics)...

My review of the new Mathews Helim(pics)...

I shot the new Mathews flagship bow yesterday. The bow is a nice shooter with the smooth shooting experience I'd expect from a new Mathews. With that said, I'm not seeing any reason to buy this bow? It does nothing better than the original Z7 which I liked better. Yes its lighter but some of the reasons are that they ditched the bottom string suppressor which was probably not needed with a string stop, and they used lighter(presumably cheaper) parts for the string stop and reverse roller assist. The string stop looked identical to one on a Mission bow sitting at the shop. If I'm paying $959 retail I don't want those parts on my Mathews bow.

The shot was quite smooth as I shot the bow with just a biscuit and no stabilizer. It had a slight kick back which I'm sure was did to the new light Harmonic Stabilizer. This bow needs stabilizer with weight out front to get rid of that. The draw comes to a firm wall with the draw stop. I'm sure Mathews added this to pull shooters who didn't go the Mathews route because they haven't used them in a long time. I think for most Mathews shooters though, they're not going to like this as they're used to being able to creep a little without the draw stop.

I do like the new wood on the grip but I'd rather have a Focus grip. I'm sure people will be happy there's no red accent on the cam. Overall its still a great bow and shoots very well but it doesn't seem very innovative or different at all from previous models. I'm glad though as I have no reason to sell my Monster so my wallet thanks Mathews! Lol

Mathews MR5 29"@70lbs 620gr@262fps 22.75% FOC
    Victory VAP250 Externally Footed 90gr SS Insert w/ 190gr Steelforce Single Bevel Phathead
    "No one has ever lost an animal because their arrow penetrated too much." Dr. Ed Ashby
    "When it comes to hits try for the best but prepare for the worst." Dr. Ed Ashby

They had a countdown on there web-site for this? wow

Why OH Why in the name of everything holy with a bow the manufacturer is touting it's major selling point as being lightweight..so lightweight in fact that they need plastic doodad brackets to mount a quiver that they leave off just for the scales and then?..

mount a freaking string stop 3"s above the lower cam?

really?...are they serious?..Note to Self:..Never, Ever...buy a mathews.
    "A person voicing their opinion on the net is often times an admission of character."
    BLACK WIDOW PSA II TD RECURVE 62"/43# @28"
    1975 HERTERS PERFECTION MAGNUM RECURVE 60"/44# @ 28"
    BUSHMEN "AMERICAN NATIVE" R/D LONGBOW 64"/37# @ 28"

Quote Originally Posted by JINKSTER View Post
    Why OH Why in the name of everything holy with a bow the manufacturer is touting it's major selling point as being lightweight..so lightweight in fact that they need plastic doodad brackets to mount a quiver that they leave off just for the scales and then?..

Have you seen all the plastic in the new PSEs? Just saying
    One
    Big
    Arse
    Mistake
    America You need to sue your mind,,,,,,,,,for non-support

Quote Originally Posted by The Answer View Post
    no..but then again?..i've been looking at strothers lately...just sayin. LOL!
    "A person voicing their opinion on the net is often times an admission of character."

What model? What parts?

When you hold a 2012 PSE, you hold a bow that is substantial..stout, and one you know will not let you down...
    PSE Archery * Trophy Ridge * Rocket Aeroheads * Vortex Optics * The Buck Bomb * Under Armour * John's Custom Strings * DLC Covert Cameras

No, what plastics?
    Archery makes my shaft quiver.

Looks like you can flip the string stop and it will be 4.5 inches......LOL..Either way the string stop looks a lil cheap to me.I am sure some will love it some will hate it.Me I will keep shooting the sbxt.

Quote Originally Posted by NY911 View Post
    What model? What parts?

When you hold a 2012 PSE, you hold a bow that is substantial..stout, and one you know will not let you down...
    I said the same thing to the wife last night...Except for the pse,ing thing...lol

no..but then again?..i've been looking at strothers lately...just sayin. LOL!
    Since we are talking flagships..let's use the Evo as a comparision...

Plastic parts on the Evo;

Axle QCR's
    Cable Slide (actually a very slippery "plastic"..dont even know if it qualifies as plastic
    MIGHT be thin pastic sheets under each limb in the pocket
    And........

Ummm........

Well...that about it!
    PSE Archery * Trophy Ridge * Rocket Aeroheads * Vortex Optics * The Buck Bomb * Under Armour * John's Custom Strings * DLC Covert Cameras

Quote Originally Posted by chuckatuk View Post
    I said the same thing to the wife last night...Except for the pse,ing thing...lol
    LOL....my wife said get the hell out of here! LOL

Since we are talking flagships..let's use the Evo as a comparision...

Plastic parts on the Evo;

Axle QCR's
    Cable Slide (actually a very slippery "plastic"..dont even know if it qualifies as plastic
    MIGHT be thin pastic sheets under each limb in the pocket
    And........

Ummm........

Well...that about it!
    okay?..just took a look at my 2010 omen..and found one (1) piece of plastic..if ya wanna call teflon plastic...the cable slider...pocket rockers are metal.

I'm sorry but the new Heli looks cheap!!!!!

The cheapo looking rod with the rollers on the end, CHEAP!!!!!!

The string stop, CHEAP!!!!!!

The new idler looks really thin, and cheap looking!!!!

But what is amazing is how many guys will buy and believe that it's the best ever, Sorry the SB and SBXT have been the best!!!!!

I agree hansel...I will even out the Drenalin down as the LAST good Mathews bow...although I shot the Reezen and it was OK...but like the Switchy's...I spent ALOT of time behind a Switchback and enjoyed it...LOVED my Prestiges too...but mathews has certainly lost the edge..the only thing keeping them afloat now is their reputation and faithful re-buyers.

String stop and roller guard look like cheap after market parts. This bow Sucks.

Their is no such thing In my book as a nice shooting 30 inch midget bow.

This thread is hilarious!
    Victory VAP250 Externally Footed 90gr SS Insert w/ 190gr Steelforce Single Bevel Phathead
    "No one has ever lost an animal because their arrow penetrated too much." Dr. Ed Ashby
    "When it comes to hits try for the best but prepare for the worst." Dr. Ed Ashby

Well, thats 2 bows now you will never own, 2 weeks ago it was BowTech because of the cheesie video's. Your thinning the heard fast Jinks........LOL's

I eat tomorrows trophies today

Turd

I just traded a Bowtech Invasion for the new Heli. I figured after shooting and dropping two deer with the Z7 Xtreme and shooting this bow it was worth it. But I like the smoothness of the single cam, it doesn't lurch you forward like the dual cams. And that's just me.
    Hoyt Carbon Spyder 55 lbs. Gold Yip Velocity 400's twistet vanes.
    Hoyt Avenger Plus. 48 pounds. Victory arrows with Blazer vanes.
    Mathews Z7 Xtreme. 62 pounds. Gold Tip Velocity 400's with blazer vanes

The Mathews haters must be drooling right now lol.

Quote Originally Posted by olehemlock View Post
    Well, thats 2 bows now you will never own, 2 weeks ago it was BowTech because of the cheesie video's. Your thinning the heard fast Jinks........LOL's
    well unfortunately?.. "the herd" seems to need thinning! LOL! and btw..ya missed one..elite..i'm no longer interested in them either.

PSE, Strothers or Bust...then again?..i'm geting more of a thrill and satisfaction shooting trad gear these days..wonder why.

What model? What parts?

This makes me laugh. Love my Omen Pro. Stupid Fast. But the S.O.B has gone through two sets of limbs already. $1000 for 2 let downs!
    2014 Hoyt Carbon Spyder 83#
    2014 Hoyt Pro Edge Elite 60#
    2013 Hoyt Pro Comp Elite 60#
    2011 PSE Omen Pro 80#
    2007 Bowtech Tribute

cheap looking on rollers and string stop. not what i look for in a mathews. very happy with z7 xtreme. im glad i didnt wait for this.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

new bow

Thats why i got this today
    Attached Images Attached Images
    G5 believer. In god we trust uncle ted for pesident.

The switchback is the last Mathews I'll most likely own. I've owned the original, just bought a used xt, and I'll be shooting the strother bows as my primary bow for some years to come. Maybe I'll try some elites also. These new Mathews just don't get me excited at all.
    2014 Elite Energy 32 (29/65)
    MBG Pure Driven 75/ QAD HDX/ Tightspot Quiver/ Stealth Stab
    Goldtip 7595/ Exodus 100 grains/ Carter RX1 release

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast