Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My review of the new Mathews Helim(pics)...

Like the OP, I, too, have actually shot the Heli-m. Don't understand all the bashing and piling on, especially from guys who haven't shot it - and I'm a Hoyt shooter! I would not attempt to shoot spots - indoor or outdoor, nor 3-D, with the Heli-m, but I have to say that I like it. The bow I shot is a 70-lb. Heli-m with a 29" draw length. It was originally set at 70 lbs. and it was honestly a beast to shoot. Drew smoothly, but no valley - even worse than Hoyt's #2 Fuel cams at 70-lbs. We cranked it down to 60 lbs. and it was actually very pleasant to shoot. Still no valley, but I could stay into the shot better. It is quite lightweight and, unlike many of Mathews' recent bows, it doesn't feel top heavy - at least to me.

Until the release of Hoyt's Alphamax, I was never a fan of short ATA bows either. However, consistently hitting a heart-sized target with broadheads out of a 32-in. ATA bow at 70 yds. will make a believer of you. I no longer discount short ATA bows solely on the basis of presumed inaccuracy. If you want an all-around bow to shoot field, outdoor 300, 600, 900 rounds and 3-D, the Heli-M isn't for you. But if you want a compact, lightweight hunting bow that balances well in the hand, has little to no hand shock and is whisper quiet, you're gonna like the Heli-M. I do, and I shoot two Carbon Matrixes and a Carbon Element.
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion." - Alexander the Great

I also shot the new heli-m and the z7 extreme yesterday and compared them side by side. It seemed to me the heli-m was a z7 extreme light - i didnt like the heli-m. I ended up buying the z7 extreme. Sad that i waited a week and watched the countdown for that!! --before anyone says anything - i know there are probably better bows out there than either of these two, but I really wanted a mathews #1 and a short ATA bow #2 and the z7 extreme fit the ticket for me.

Why does this always have to turn into a bashing thing! If you don't like a product, give some realistic feedback. With technology today (this is my humble opinion), bows are all about the same....and I have shot them all. With this said, I don't understand why companies make it such a big deal to come out with a product that is not that different. I mean, I understand why they are in business, but what about worrying about the customer. I will give mathews this.....they can market!

Isn't the most important thing that we all have something in common.....ARCHERY and the outdoors. I don't care if you shoot a PSE...or a Mathews....or and Elite....or a Hoyt....I just want to meet you and go shoot and hang out! I say grow up and say something meaningful....not bashing and Immature!

Happy hunting all and to whom did the evaluation in the first place, thank you for an honest explanation of the latest Mathews....
    2013 Mathews Creed Tactical 28.5/70
    1999 MQ1...Old skool killing machine!29/70
    1999 Ultra Max....Old skool speed machine!29/70

After seeing their solocam offerings for the past 3-4 yrs, it's little wonder they went to a dual cam bow. Even that has hit a brick wall. Only so many ways you can re-package a Switchback........
    07 Smoke chrome commander
    07 Black marble commander
    07 camo Guardian

i doubt that the parts on the heli are "cheap" they have just thinned them down to make the bow lighter. stupid

I just went and shot the Helim, Element and Vector Turbo. Last week I played with all the Elite bows.

I honestly liked the Helim the least out of all the bows I've tried so far. To ME the bow looks cheap and kinda weak. I am
    not bashing, its just my thoughts after trying all the bows.
    I am sure they will sell well, the shop employee was pushing the Helim hard already.

I ordered the bow I liked best today.

Why didn't they put the bottom string stop on and forget the riser mounted one? It looks gay the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by crooked stick View Post
    Why didn't they put the bottom string stop on and forget the riser mounted one? It looks gay the way it is.
    I think it's because they lowered the string stop position so it probably wasn't needed.

What I don't understand is why my Mathews dealer was told by his rep the new bow is "the coolest thing they ever made" before it arrived? HOW IS THIS IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM THE COOLEST THING THEY EVER MADE??? Yes it's a great hunting bow but it's nothing new or exciting? It in no way warrants the description of the coolest thing Mathews has ever made though? It's just the 6th rendition of the Z7(EZ7, ZXT, Jewel, Z9, ZMag)? I just hope that the other new releases Mathews is supposed to drop in December are more radical and new. I'm getting an itch for a new 3D bow...
    Mathews MR5 29"@70lbs 620gr@261fps 22.75% FOC
    Victory VAP250 Externally Footed SS Insert & 190gr Steelforce Single Bevel Phathead
    "No one has ever lost an animal because their arrow penetrated too much." Dr. Ed Ashby
    "When it comes to hits try for the best but prepare for the worst." Dr. Ed Ashby

I'm gonna go shoot the Helim tomorrow and see what I think. I've shot a lot of Mathews bows and I still own the Drenalin. I'll probably still be hunting with my Drenalin after I shoot the Helim especially if it's similar to the Z7 extreme. I've yet to see a reason to upgrade. It looks like the Triumph cam that they used so I'm sure it's smooth drawing, I'm just curious about the valley.

I shot the Heli m today and was not impressed at all! There valley on this thing sucks, It wants to creep forward if u flinch, Not for me, I was a loyal Mathews buyer for years but they will have heck trading me out of my hoyt.

Yep. It will want to run on you if you creep at all. They are like Hoyt's spiral cams in this regard
    Many have asked. Does a scope and lens really help? Heck yes it does!! I miss a lot more accurately now.

I live in the Land of the Free, because of the BRAVE!!

Quote Originally Posted by chuckatuk View Post
    i said the same thing to the wife last night...except for the pse,ing thing...lol
    roflmao

I shot one today. I've always been a PSE guy and currently shoot an Axe 7. I just ordered an Athens Ibex because I've been so impressed with their quality and reputation. I chose it over the Z7 Extreme once I narrowed it down to the two. I have to say I really liked the Heli-M even more so than the Z7. It was so smooth and easy to draw. The draw weight seems much lighter than it was and it has to be the quietest bow I've ever shot. It was neat to stand off to the side and listen to the other guys shoot it. Strange on the quiver thing but the mount comes with. I've seen a similar mounting systems in entirely different industries. The worked well there so I assume they will here too.

Quote Originally Posted by capt_hooks View Post
    I shot the Heli m today and was not impressed at all! There valley on this thing sucks, It wants to creep forward if u flinch, Not for me, I was a loyal Mathews buyer for years but they will have heck trading me out of my hoyt.
    Quote Originally Posted by asa1485 View Post
    Yep. It will want to run on you if you creep at all. They are like Hoyt's spiral cams in this regard
    wow..so what we have here is a comparitively slow, harsh drawing single cam bow with no valley and a flimsey flexi-flyer riser but...

it's so light!

sounds like this bow stinks so bad they should've named it the "METHANE".
    GOD is my "Aiming System"...and I'm just one of his many arrows!
    BLACK WIDOW PSA II TD RECURVE 62"/43# @28"
    1975 HERTERS PERFECTION MAGNUM RECURVE 60"/44# @ 28"
    BUSHMEN "AMERICAN NATIVE" R/D LONGBOW 64"/37# @ 28"

Quote Originally Posted by JINKSTER View Post
    wow..so what we have here is a comparitively slow, harsh drawing single cam bow with no valley and a flimsey flexi-flyer riser but...

it's so light!

sounds like this bow stinks so bad they should've named it the "METHANE".

Don't matter. I'm sure people will line up around the block to buy it. And then we wonder how Hitler brainwashed an entire nation..

It's funny how some people get so riled up that other people don't shoot what they think is the best bow.
    Victory VAP250 Externally Footed SS Insert & 190gr Steelforce Single Bevel Phathead
    "No one has ever lost an animal because their arrow penetrated too much." Dr. Ed Ashby
    "When it comes to hits try for the best but prepare for the worst." Dr. Ed Ashby

Quote Originally Posted by henro View Post
    It's funny how some people get so riled up that other people don't shoot what they think is the best bow.
    I agree...that it's also funny how some people get so defensive of the crappy ones.
    GOD is my "Aiming System"...and I'm just one of his many arrows!
    BLACK WIDOW PSA II TD RECURVE 62"/43# @28"
    1975 HERTERS PERFECTION MAGNUM RECURVE 60"/44# @ 28"
    BUSHMEN "AMERICAN NATIVE" R/D LONGBOW 64"/37# @ 28"

Wow, mathews must be doing something right if there is that many mathews haters.

To the OP, henro...aren't you glad you posted a reveiw of the new Mathews? I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to post the pics and write your reveiw. It is a joke to have to go through all the garbage posts in order to read what other people say who have shot it. Lots of guys acting like babies on here with nothing useful to say....jinkster, please get a another hobby, you're not as funny as you think..

Quote Originally Posted by nickname View Post
    To the OP, henro...aren't you glad you posted a reveiw of the new Mathews? I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to post the pics and write your reveiw. It is a joke to have to go through all the garbage posts in order to read what other people say who have shot it. Lots of guys acting like babies on here with nothing useful to say....jinkster, please get a another hobby, you're not as funny as you think..
    Lol thanks.

Just shot the Helim, and I must say that it feels a lot more solid than I thought is was going to. Nothing about it feels cheap. The biggest thing about it was the draw cycle felt unlike most Mathews, in my opinion. It was a little more steady pulling and then it really dumps into the almost nonexistent valley. Smooth shooter though. Not bad, dealer had it marked at $850 so pretty fairly priced.

I haven't shot it.

To look at your photos of it though, I ask my self one question. How much good can that string stop do that close to the lower cam? Really? Take it off and shoot it and see if you feel any difference.

Kev

Not to keep poking in here, I didn't take it off so I can't say for sure, bit I shot a 29" and I'm a 27 and I had a baggy sweatshirt on and I didnt get hit by the string. I thought for sure it was going to hit my shirt.

Okay I will say that I was one to bash the Helim when it first came out. I owned many Mathews in the past including, LX,Outback,switchback just to name a few. Then about 5yrs ago I shot a Hoyt and have shot them exclusively since then, the last one being a Carbon Element. I love Hoyts but their cams just kept getting less and less on the valley and the draw cycles kept getting harder. Well with that said I went to my Hoyt Delaer today to order a new Carbon Element RKT. I noticed a Helim hanging on the shelf. I picked it up and noticed how light it was. I then looked it over and everything on the bow was built very strong and for a purpose. I thought the roller guard looked cheesy in photos until I saw it in person. It is carbon a flexes ever so slightly which I really like. I then shot it!(big mistake) because I fell in love. I shot it side by side with the Element and I fell in love with the draw cycle on the Helim. Mind you the Element was set to my DL and the Helim was 2" too long!!. My number one attribute I look for in a bow is a smooth draw cycle and let down and in this category the Helim blew the Element RKT away. The wall on the Helim is also incredible. I did shoot the Z7 and the Extreme last year and wouldn't even considered it over a Hoyt, but the Helim blows the z7 and Extreme away. Holds sooooooooooooooo much better and is way better balanced. I left the shop shaking my head knowing I am going back to Mathews this year!!!!!!!! This is no way i a Hoyt bash because I love the element. These bows are so close in comparison it's scary except the draw cycle and let down on the Helim is way better and won me over.
    Elite Energy 32 62# 27.5dl HHA Opitmizer Lite 5519 Easton Axis 400's Elite Stokerized 7" Stab Elite QAD HDX NAP Killzone Maxx

HAHAhahaha tis looks likes junks
    Quote Originally Posted by freebird@midwes View Post
    They had a countdown on there web-site for this? wow

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast