Thread: For those hunting ground blinds during gun season

For those hunting ground blinds during gun season

I'm bowhunting out of a ground blind for the first time this year and would like to sit in it this weekend as well. Saturday is the opening of MN firearms and while I'm in a shotgun only zone, I still think it would be a good idea to pin some blaze orange to the four sides of the blind. My question is, does anyone else do this and what do you use to show other hunters where your blind is? I was thinking of just cutting up an old orange piece of clothing that I no longer need.

If you have done this, have you noticed deer checking out the blind more closely once its "marked" for safety?
    The Deer Hunter does not notice the mountains

THey make a blaze cap for most blinds.
    2006 Switchback 70 lb 29 DL PSE STL Hunter 400 at 27 7/8
    396 grains at 280 fps Blazers with AZ Mini Helical
    Black Gold FlashPoint, TrueFire Hurricane Release
    QAD HD QD

A couple of strips of orange duct tape always works, plus its great for patching holes.

Orange duct tape. Thats a good idea.

I think you're nuts for even being out there to be honest. But you want some orange on your blind for sure. Iowa requires all ground blinds to have XXX square inches of blaze orange on ground blinds and viewable from all directions during shotgun season. Surprised there isn't a similar requirement for you?

Yes during any firearms season, I put an old orange ball hat on top of the blind with some orange flagging tape too.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRay View Post
    I think you're nuts for even being out there to be honest. But you want some orange on your blind for sure. Iowa requires all ground blinds to have XXX square inches of blaze orange on ground blinds and viewable from all directions during shotgun season. Surprised there isn't a similar requirement for you?
    If there is a requirement in MN, I have not found it yet but will keep searching. I am hunting private property so with some orange on the blind I will feel safe enough. Would I hunt out of a blind on public ground during gun season? NO WAY IN HE**!

A few spare blaze orange hats or gloves safety-pinned to the blind also work well.

The only ground blind Im hunting this year is on a pretty small piece of private property with only myself and a buddy hunting, even though, Ive walked up on/seen too many trespassers to feel safe so I mark all the way around the top edge with orange duct tape.

sitting in it is a good idea. make sure that the windows are low enough when you are sitting with a bow or gun. chair heights along with terrain vary and it can get almost impossible to get a shot with a bow if you are sitting to low. mark it like the others suggest and make sure you are high enough to get a shot off with your bow. there is a big height difference between you eye when it comes to looking through a scope and the barrel and your peep and the arrow

Quote Originally Posted by mrmiskin View Post
    sitting in it is a good idea. make sure that the windows are low enough when you are sitting with a bow or gun. chair heights along with terrain vary and it can get almost impossible to get a shot with a bow if you are sitting to low. mark it like the others suggest and make sure you are high enough to get a shot off with your bow. there is a big height difference between you eye when it comes to looking through a scope and the barrel and your peep and the arrow
    I've hunted out of it a few time already this bow season and so far have had just does and fawns within 5 - 10 yards. I'm hopin the rut kicks into another gear this weekend and the orange army starts moving the bucks around.

NJ requires a certain amount of orange on a ground blind during firearms seasons as of this year.

i just put an orange cap on top of my blind.. which is a good and bad thing, it makes you visible but then the thiefs know its there

I think I'm just going to cut some patches out of an old orange sweat shirt and safety pin them on. I'll never say never but I shouldn't have to worry about theives on the land I'm hunting.