Archery Talk Forum banner

80% Let off on target bow?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  gpaul 
#1 ·
Does anyone shoot 80% let off on their target bows? Why or why not? Thanks for the info.

Zach

#2 ·
I don't.

I prefer 65% for a couple of reasons......

For spots is makes my release a good bit crisper.

For 3D it gives me a bit of extra speed plus what is listed above.

#4 ·
Myself along with a large majority of archers use 65% let-off. When using the lower let off your wall is going to be more solid. A lot of back tension shooters prefer it becuase as SHpoet said, it makes the release a little crisper and easier to set off.

#6 ·
I'm changing over to 80% for awhile to give it a try. I'm shooting a single cam so there is no cam-fight going on. I like to let it settle in on the dot and it seems like with the 65% cam, I am thinking, (or trying) to let it go before the pin settles. I usually have to bring the pin up into the X. I also dont use back tension- its a thumb release made by Spot Hogg called a Cascade if I remember right- so I just hang around in the back until it's time to let it go.
All that said.... and I've yet to get the elusive 300 score- 296-297- 293 blah blah blah. So I'm just trying things. Going to a blade rest- change weight of tips- stabilizers- change draw weight-- etc- just have fun with it and don't be afraid to try things out- Theres a 300 in there somewhere! Enjoy.

#7 ·
I am trying to adapt to a hand release right now. I have a Hoyt 38 pro with C-2's and I have a Triumph. The Triumph is 80% let off and the Hoyt is about 65%. The 65% does indeed make the moment of release (that sounds almost filthy) a lot more unpredictable and therefor less punchy. At least that is what I am feeling so far. It really seems to promote better form all around as well. After shooting the Triumph, which I love, then shooting the Hoyt, I nearly did the creep of shame. Several times in fact. I find that the higher holding weight makes me pay attention to the wall with a quickness. When I add up the incremental little bit here, little bit there, it ads up! For me it added up to a 20% increase in score for a day of 5 spots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.