Thread: South Eastern Ohio Bow hunting (athens)

South Eastern Ohio Bow hunting (athens)

Just recently moved to athens county..Been hunting the Wayne National..Been seeing some deer. But not as much as i would like. I have had no shots except the before or after hours deer movements. I need some tips on what to look for hunting down here. and the deers Behaviors for the hills. I know enough to sit on top of ridges.

Well the one thing you say you "know" is wrong. Get off the ridge tops.. these big woods deer dont like to move on the ridge tops. get down on the benches and hunt saddles. There is no such thing a "bed to food" because they bed everywhere and eat everywhere. Its impossiable to redict the deer movement. You just have to be in the right place at the right time... i hope this helps a little..
    Id turned into a (expletive) liberal, a half-assed, no-logic nitwit, all heart, no brain, and the judgment of a jack rabbit."
    -Marcus Luttrell

Hunt benches, saddles in ridges, secondary ridges, and the tops of steep ravines....you will do well!

alright will do. Thanks alot!

just like others have said, I have spent alot of time in wayne and you need to stay off the ridge tops, hunt the benches and saddles. there are alot of deer out there and there really is no way to pattern a big woods deer, but you can still kill them if you hunt the land features. good luck hope everything works out for you.

Your in one of the best areas in Ohio. It will take time getting use to the terrain. Check out Strouds Run and AEP land also. Are you going to school down there ?

I hunt right beside you and like others said....hunt the low spots. Not too many, if any, big boys spend anytime up on the ridges unless a doe takes them there. If you've got crops close it will be good when the corn goes down. Stick with it and pick the "nasty" spots that look hateful to walk thru and thats where you will find the old bucks.

Do some scouting this winter with snow on. Check these benches and saddles for bottle necks, or funnel areas. Prime hunting areas!

Also look for those late season scrapes in late December, if you can't get on him then, chances are he will be there next fall
    Helium 60lb 26
    Qad HD
    CX Maxima Hunters

Yeah im going to hocking college righ now in the ranger training. I actually hunt sands run. this weekend im putting all of this advice to use. i will post pictures if i get the results im lookin for. thank you