Thread: RKT Cams #2 vs. #3

RKT Cams #2 vs. #3

I was wondering if people are seeing speed differences between the RKT #2 and #3 cams similar to the XTR and Fuel cams. With those cams, the #2 seemed to be more efficient and have faster speeds than the #3. I was wondering if a #2 cam at 28 1/2 would be faster on the Matrix + with RKT's versus a #3 cam at the same draw length in the Element RKT.

I would have to check but I thought the #2 only went to 28" but not sure anything more and you had to go to the #3 cam

If I remember correctly yhe #2 is 26 to 28" and the #3 is 28" and up. My interest would be a guy who is a 28" draw and making the correct cam selection between the two cam for best performance from the setup.

Quote Originally Posted by bowdrawn View Post
    If I remember correctly yhe #2 is 26 to 28" and the #3 is 28" and up. My interest would be a guy who is a 28" draw and making the correct cam selection between the two cam for best performance from the setup.
    This is correct.

But if you were exactly 28", then a #2 cam would be more efficient at 28" than a #3 at 28". #3 would feel smoother.
    Present to Past: 14' Xpedition Xcentric, 14' Hoyt Faktor Turbo - Bone Collector, 14' Carbon Spyder Turbo, 14' Elite Energy 32, 13' Bowtech Insanity CPX, 13' Spyder Turbo, 13' Spyder 30, 12' Carbon Matrix Plus, 12' Carbon Element RKT, 11' Carbon Element, 11' Hoyt CRX 32, 10' Carbon Matrix, 10' Strother SR-71, 10' BT D350 (black), 10' BT D350 (camo), 07' BT Guardian, Black Widow PAX, Hoyt Buffalo, 12' Parker Gale Force, 12' Scorpyd Ventilator

That is correct that on the Element the #2 cam goes to 28" and the #3 starts at 28". On the Matrix Plus though the #2 goes from 27"-29". I was wondering if the Matrix Plus would have more speed with the #2 cam than the Element with the #3.

the #2 cam would be faster and more efficient

Quote Originally Posted by kabushnell View Post
    That is correct that on the Element the #2 cam goes to 28" and the #3 starts at 28". On the Matrix Plus though the #2 goes from 27"-29". I was wondering if the Matrix Plus would have more speed with the #2 cam than the Element with the #3.

Quote Originally Posted by 737flyer View Post
    This is correct.

But if you were exactly 28", then a #2 cam would be more efficient at 28" than a #3 at 28". #3 would feel smoother.
    There lies my dilemma, I'm exactly a 28" draw....but I need it smooth due to shoulder surgeries. I wonder if Hoyt will make draw curve sheets available for cam configurations ? Is the speed difference negligible ?

I owned an Ultratec with the "wrong" cams, it shot fine.....but cost me speed. My previous dealer set me up on the "A" setting, and the cam & cable switch over was very pricey & my poundage would change.
    "07" Allegiance #62 APG Easton FMJ
    "08" Guardian-#61 APG CX 250
    "12" Destroyer 340-#63 AT Custom - Easton ACC
    And a few others Proud Southpaw

The difference in the cams can be anywhere from 6-8 fps from the 2's to the #3's. I went with the Matrix + with the #2. I have a 29.5" draw and was able to remove the grip, replace the draw stop peg in the cam with the older style slimmer one, and tweek it to fit me perfectly. That bow is shooting a 352 grn arrow at 325 fps at 69.6 lbs.

It's as pleasant a bow as any other I've shot.
    Genesis 27:3

"Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some game for me."

so the bigger cam keeping the same dl and same poundage would be slower then the smaller #2 cam?

The cam configuration is slightly different with the Matrix(27-29")....just wondering how much different they "feel".

Quote Originally Posted by 24hrsparkey View Post
    so the bigger cam keeping the same dl and same poundage would be slower then the smaller #2 cam?
    I think the #3 is faster...it's larger.

thats what i was thinking^^^^^^ but if im reading corectly it would be slower but more easy to pull back and smoother

No the #2 cam is faster. Bigger never means faster. They designed that smaller cam to make the speed for shorter DL shooters. Thus if your a 28" and you can go either way the smaller more efficent #2 cam will be faster.
    2009 Carbon Fiber Monster 6.7 64lbs 382gr arrow 308 fps

Im going with a #3 cam cause on the XTR's I had on my orginal Matrix which was #2 had very little valley. Teamed up with a 80lb draw and if your creeped at all it was going. But at 80.3lbs and a 402gr arrow it was shooting 313fps! On a IBO 318fps bow! It was a screamer @ 29'

Quote Originally Posted by marku View Post
    No the #2 cam is faster. Bigger never means faster. They designed that smaller cam to make the speed for shorter DL shooters. Thus if your a 28" and you can go either way the smaller more efficent #2 cam will be faster.
    This is correct..

My Element is a 28'' draw. I have the #3 cam on mine. It probably isn't quite as fast but it's ALOT smoother on the draw and that to me is worth more than 5-6 fps.
    ISAIAH 26:8

2012 ELITE ANSWER

I stand corrected.....looks like the #3 is for me...smoother is better for my shoulder.

Most of these comments are based on the Fuel or XTR cams, not the RKT. Supposedly, the valley on the RKT is better. Might be a good idea to get more RKT input, or better yet shoot them before dropping the cash.

To me, the more efficient cam is the way to go if you have a choice though.

Ive shot both RKT 2 and 3 cams. I liked the 3 better

Ive shot both RKT 2 and 3 cams. I liked the 3 better
    Are you a 28" draw ?

Quote Originally Posted by pharmdbamafan View Post
    Most of these comments are based on the Fuel or XTR cams, not the RKT. Supposedly, the valley on the RKT is better. Might be a good idea to get more RKT input, or better yet shoot them before dropping the cash.
    To me, the more efficient cam is the way to go if you have a choice though.
    You are 100% correct.....but I'm a lefty, and that ain't easy to find

Depending on bow yes. The first RKT Element I shot was equipped with #2 cams set on 28" draw, the second one I shot was 28.5. Ive shot both DL before. THe #2 valley was much better than the previous XTR or Fuel cams. But I still think the draw was just a touch more aggressive than on the #3 cams which had a great valley. Im stepping up to the #3 and shooting 28.5" this year

Thanks marku

First of all to the OP, its going to be real hard for you to get a good answer because you want to compare a #2 cam on a Matrix to a #3 cam on an Element. That being said, the two setups you mention will probably be very close in speed since the Element is rated 5 fps faster than the Matrix. So what you would lose speedwise with the #3 you would gain back from having a faster bow.

Now, as for the RKT cam itself, don't worry about smoothness with the #2 cam. It is very smooth - the RKT is a big improvment over the Fuel. I just ordered a Matrix RKT with the #2 cam, currently I shoot a Matrix + with a #3 (Fuel) cam. There is no way I would have ordered that setup if the #2 RKT wasn't smoother that what I'm shooting now.

Personally, with a 28.5" draw, I would be ordering the Matrix for the extra ata. Its going to be alot more comfortable for you to shoot.
    2014 Bowtech CPXL
    SH Hunter Hoggit/PNP/Hamskea/ST Epics/Vanetec Swift 2.88/VPA 3 Blade
    Life Member - United Bowhunters of PA, NRA

There's no school like the old school.

Depending on bow yes. The first RKT Element I shot was equipped with #2 cams set on 28" draw, the second one I shot was 28.5. Ive shot both DL before. THe #2 valley was much better than the previous XTR or Fuel cams. But I still think the draw was just a touch more aggressive than on the #3 cams which had a great valley. Im stepping up to the #3 and shooting 28.5" this year
    same here...
    Blazin' Pond & Oak Savanna - Fowl and Whitetails
    Glacial lakes area, Minnesota