Thread: Home made cooler - Window AC question

Home made cooler - Window AC question

I know some guys build their deer coolers and use a window AC unit to cool it down. I'd like to know if they have any issues with icing up, and if so what will I need to do in order to address the issue? I plan on the cooler being a 4' cube on the outside with either 1 1/2" or 2" EPS foam for the side walls and some ripped down 2x4s for a skeleton frame on the inside. I plan on trimming the outer edge of all the EPS sheets with 1x4. I also plan on building a partition to go inside it out of 1/2" OSB and a few scraps of 1x4. The goal is to have a cooler that will hold 2 pretty good size deer (skinned and quartered) and get them down to around 34 degrees while the weather is in the 70's or even low 80's (early archery season). The cooler also must break down so that it can be stored in the shed, attic, or where ever he can find room in the off season.

I have a small chest freezer that I installed a secondary adjustable thermostat on, and it works well for me. It's just a pain to load it into the truck and haul it 50 miles down the road to his house "just in case" one of us gets one that weekend. Plus, during archery season I hunt closer to home most of the time, so he needs his own

Thanks,
    Mark

Check out this link, http://storeitcold.com/ My dad built his own cooler with one of these and a window air conditioner in South Carolina and IT WORKS GREAT, even when its 80 go 85 degrees outside. he built it in the back of a storage shed he bought. and insulated the outside of it, I think its 6x6 wide and 8' tall...
    Rob Friedl,
    Pro-Staff:Tinkers Archery LLC, STAN Releases, Bohning Archery, Gold Tip Arrows, B-Stinger Stabilizers, 60X Custom Strings, Vanguard Optics, Trophy Taker Rests.

Look at the thread on here about building yer own walk in cooler. Everything is discussed in detail.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishnId View Post
    Look at the thread on here about building yer own walk in cooler. Everything is discussed in detail.
    Yep...here it is:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1317200

Did mine recently. Still can't believe that it works that well! The Coolbot is definitely worth it!

Joe

"Eins, Zwei, Zuffa!"
    Mathews Switchback XT 28" DL
    MBG Radiant, Whisker Biscuit, String Splitter
    Strikers/Tricks/Blazers, Aero Hunter and World's Best Strings

$300 is about $250 out of my budget.

Mine freezes up. I have the Johnson Control Thermostat on it. It gets it down to about 41 degrees, stays there for a half hour and frosts over.
    2007 Bowtech GuardianDead Nuts Pro3 sight, Trophy Taker Pronghorn, Fuse stabilizer, Bucknasty string, Easton Axis Full Metal Jacket 340's, Slick Trick 100 Magnums-
    2008 Customized 101st Airborne Limb driver rest, Customized Spot Hogg Hogg-It, Bowjax replacement, Fatboy 340
    CVA Optima Pro Muzzle loader- I gun hunt too, get over it.

I would love to make a cooler... just don't have a lot of extra room or $$.

If all you want is something to store skinned, quartered deer then just use a refrigerator. I can put 4 quartered deer in mine easy.

Quote Originally Posted by jogr View Post
    If all you want is something to store skinned, quartered deer then just use a refrigerator. I can put 4 quartered deer in mine easy.
    I can store one small quartered deer in the fridge, but it will be FULL at that point. Dad doesn't have a lot of room available in the off season, so using a freezer with a new T-stat won't work for him (that's what I use). So I'm wanting to build one that can be quickly disassembled and stored in the rafters, shed, or where ever.

I'm looking in to the RANCO ETC-111000 Digital Cold Temperature Control from amazon.com instead of the coolbot. I agree that the coolbot would be awesome and simple to install, but trying to spend as little as possible and still have the cooler function. From what I'm reading and seeing on youtube, the RANCO does pretty much the exact same thing as the coolbot but for around $50.

The window units will work but yes the evaporator coil will freeze up. A guy I know made a cooler with one and he used a light bulb to defrost it, had the bulb mounted right up against the coil.

no sub for the cool bot worth every penny set it and forget it.....
    Yoohoo. I'll make you famous! [

my dad put his on a timer for lights, this way it wasn't running all the time and our cooler never got about 50 degrees this way but the deer would be much colder than that, by the time the cooler temp was up it turned back on anyways. we never had a issue with freezing, and he has a big industrial size a/c for a room that is maybe 4'x8' on the inside we also use it to hang his beef when he butchers that. it has a sliding roller system in the ceiling for moving the meat on hooks, never have to touch the deer after its all skinned out just cut a piece off when processing it. very handy all year around.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyboy View Post
    no sub for the cool bot worth every penny set it and forget it.....
    x2
    I just built mine and what I'm really liking is that it is -7 degrees out side and about 0 in my shed but 37 in the cooler. Don't have to worry about the deer freezing before I butcher.

I know guys that have taken different routes instead of the Coolbot and now are on their second and third systems, why? Because the warranty that comes with other "systems" suck. I'm still on my first Coolbot which is one of the older models and haven't had one second of issues with it. BUT, if I WERE to have issues with it, the folks at Coolbot would take care of it real quick.

I didn't and don't have extra money to be throwing around either and that's why I chose the Coolbot. Because I knew it would be done right the first time and last a very long time (and no I don't get any royalties from Coolbot for anything I've done or said in my thread)
    Archers Against Cancer - Shooting for a Cure!
    Event Founder and Organizer!
    Help Us make A Difference!
    Supporting the "Gene Goodreau Patient Assistance Fund"