Archery Talk Forum banner

Arizona January Mule Deer Hunt Unit 27

23K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  BigWavDav 
#1 ·
I am headed on my first DIY archery Muledeer hunt in January and looking for some advice. I will be hunting in Arizona unit 27 and any advice on that unit would be very helpful, not looking for anyones specific honey hole just a good place to start for this trip was a spur of the moment type of thing and will not be able to scout besides looking at maps. We will be backpacking in so getting away from as many people as possible is what we hope to do. Again any info will be greatly appreciated. Also have a javelina tag also so any tips on hunting those little suckers will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all fellow archers.

#2 ·
Take good binos and glass alot. If AZ is like southern NM in january, you should catch the rut and be able to find the big boys.get ready to spot n stalk

#8 ·
just looked like a good unit, didn't know where to start and it was the only unit in that area that had over the counter tags all the other units in that area appeared to be limited draw so I figured there where good deer in the area also I know a little about the muledeer in the gila in new mexico and it borders that area and unit 27 looked pretty rough, figured it may keep some people out. do you have other suggestions and why if so. Thanks

#9 ·
expect it to be very cold and very rough country. bring your calls also. 27 is kind of a hard unit to figure out for a first timer. but if your ready for it, go for it. remember your tag is good for whitetail and mulies. i always was told in 27 one side of the hill is whitetail and the other side is for mulies. and just like everybody else said head south in the unit. good luck and have fun!

#11 ·
Last year right before the hunt we got about 2 ft of snow and temps down to -10 with the windchill... Brrrrrr.... Be smart about your trip, I am not sure if you are very experienced but that unit can be remote and the only thing that will find you is the wolves. Also because of the burn you are not allowed into certain areas. Are you going to be above or below the rim? It is very different country with different needs. Also make sure you are in shape and don't count on ANY water sources having water... That unit is notorious for having tanks on maps that are dry as a bone....
Jason

#14 ·
The country below the rim is rough... Straight up and down... Just don't count on there being any water... They also have at least one wolf pen down there so keep that in mind. You should be into both Coues Deer and Mulies.. Both will be rutting... Make sure you get everything you need in city because Alpine usually shuts down for winter... The closet "archery" shop will be hours away. Also, alot of those roads will be closed so getting around will be tough.. They might be open on a map but they close them for winter. The odds of having cell service are pretty small so might want to bring a sat phone or a spot(if you trust it). Are you going to be in the pines or lower... If this is your first trip into 27 everything I would do would err on the side of caution...

#16 ·
theres some good sized animals in there. if you do see javelina its a blast! have you guys printed out the where to hunt section for unit 27 off the game and fish website? i wouldnt leave home without it.

#19 ·
Are your tags draw or over the counter?
If theyre otc, then you're welcome to hunt a much better area with me if you like.
Its a little easier on the body, much better opportunities for big'uns, and not so remote that you need a helicopter rescue to get you out of a pickle.
PM me if you like.

#23 ·
Get in the best shape of your life... you will thanks yourself later. Interval and hard cardio programs like Insanity are great for this country. Anything east of the Mississippi, like Ohio, has nothing that compares to unit 27 country. Water will be an issue if we continue to have a light winter. It's been a dry year in that part unlike past years.

Good luck.
DT

#27 ·
Awesome!

Love how people are always asking for help hunting NM and then never respond with how the hunt went.

I have a 2c tag for January, supposed to be a pretty good tag but I love hunting the desert. Fortunately ill get my desert fix with my Jan. Javelina tag.

#28 ·
I guess it did take almost a year to let you know how it went. Long story short, my first time west of Oklahoma and we saw antelope, mule deer, javalina, big horn, tons of beAr sign, elk sign and had a cat track us for three miles! I harvested a javalina on second day, thank you for the advice on the call, most responsive animals I've come across. Lots of cactus in my are and ass, cold nights and hot days and the roughest terrain I have been in. Thank all of you for all the advice. Tree Organism Adventure Rock

#31 ·
27 was pretty rough but do not have much to compare with having lived only in MO and OHIO. What I can say is this has unleashed an incredible desire to better myself physically and mentally to take on more backpack style hunting. Walking to A deer stand is still rewarding but not like packing in and packing out...SOUL SOOTHING!!

#32 ·
Sorry to hijack your thread bowkill85....

Just outta curiousity, how do all you guys feel 27 compares to 34A or 29 for Coues deer during the January archery hunt? I've hunted both of these units in the in the past, but was recommended 27. Planning a hunt in 27 this January 2014, just kinda feeling out the unit. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.