Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: legal to shoot bows in city limits?

legal to shoot bows in city limits?

what do most cities laws say regarding shooting bows in city limits?

2011 60 lb Bowtech Invasion Mossy Oak
    2008 60 lb Bowtech Guardian HD Green
    2008 60 lb Bowtech Commander HD Green
    2009 Diamond Razor Edge

Most cities have specific laws regarding "shooting a weapon" within city limits. You need to call your local police department to get your answer directly from the guys that will be the ones writing your ticket! Bows are considered "weapons" and fall under these laws. Your best bet is to call first, and if it's not allowed then join your local archery club and shoot at their establishments regularly. Now is your opportunity to find out which legislation is out there and decide to take action against it by reading as much about it as possible and looking into what you can do to fight it.
    Check in for DAILY SALE'S at:

The Ultimate Shop Zone! Click Here www.tednugentsspiritwildmall.c om to shop for Ted Nugent Tested & Ted Nugent Approved Hunting Gear and not only save money but also protect your American family outdoor dream.

A portion of every purchase goes directly to the Ted Nugent Kamp for Kids, a 501c3 non-profit organization. We appreciate your support & dedication to keeping the Spirit of the Wild Dream alive.

This subject has been covered many times on here. Best thing to do is check with your local authorities. Example where I live it is legal but go a few blocks away and it isn't.
    Have a good day and a better hunt

Small towns, 200 or less, there isn't much of a problem - so long as it doesn't go overboard. Cities usually have ordinances against such.
    Pearson MarXman, Limb Driver, Muddy Virtue HT3s, Bohning vanes, Sure Loc Challenger,
    Super Ball Peep, Stanislawski MagMicro Trio, Onyx, Blackjack and TRU Ball ST360, 30" Cartel.

The towns around here have a "no projectile" ordinance....bb guns, sling shots, bows/arrows, firearms, etc....it is a way of "no hunting" without saying it....only the DNR can regulate "hunting" in Indiana, so these damn towns/cities say no projectiles instead....damn commies ..... BTW, I shoot the bow in my house and work on my form....no one never knows I'm doing it .....
    Liberalism is a mental disorder

It is legal in my town Marshfield, Mo but since my neighbor is the grandpa to a governor and Roy Blunt I try not to shoot. When they are in town and there is a Black Suv with armed guards watching me shoot and it makes it really hard to concentrate on the target when you are wondering what automatic weapon is 30 yds behind you. It causes Target Panic.

You really should check first---if you get sited for the violation your record shows a weapons charge--and is assumed a gun buy any officer that runs your name---

The system is designed to make more problems///not less

Cec
    ARCHERY : SHOOTING A BOW WITH A TRUE CENTERLINE !!!

just don't do it. too many risks involved. really not worth it. if you can do it in your garage or basement where youcan't be seen.
    '09 HCA Speed Pro
    '14 HCA Axis

High Country Archery-the fastest bows under warranty

EVERY city is different. As you can see, I live in a large suburban city in deep dark Southern California, and there is NO ordinance against the shooting of a bow in the city limits. BUT I've checked other cities nearby and out in the sticks, and they have VERY strict rules against long, recurve, crossbows and compound bows specifically.

So, the only answer to your question, is to look up the municipal codes for the city in question.
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store...not a government agency.

2013 Hoyt Spyder, Snow Camo w/7 pin Spot Hog Hunter/Hoyt ULTRA REST™/Fuse Sidekick stab w/Scott Rhino XT./ Orange Pro Comp Elite, Trophy Taker Rest, CBE sight, X 10 Stabilizers, Mako Pro Release

I live next door to a cop and he checked it out for me. He said no pob.
    I live in a large city in So. Ca.
    Don.
    I shoot for...Gator Vanes....www.gatorvanes.com
    Deer Crossing Archery-Target Shafts-Specialty Archery-Timberdoodle ll-Bow String Depot
    I shoot these bows...Martin SepterV,Shadowcat
    I shoot bowhunter-not barebow..non-sights and fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by zestycj7 View Post
    I live next door to a cop and he checked it out for me. He said no pob.
    I live in a large city in So. Ca.
    Don.
    I know San Diego and Sacramento both have free archery ranges in city parks. Really surprises me, seems like quite a departure from the normal nanny state in CA.
    sine labore nihil

Here in Maine we have "Expanded Archery Zones" where not only is it legal to shoot within the city limits, but you can archery hunt there as well.

Kev
    Kev <><
    2011 Black Supra 60# for target, 38" ATA
    2011 Black Supra 60# for hunting, 38" ATA
    "I have never let down and then wished that I hadn't."

Figured I'd raise this from the dead instead of another thread on the topic.
    I just looked over my city ordinance and couldn't find anything pertaining to Bows or Arrows. They defined projectiles as anything propelled by an explosion. In all the definitions for firearms it mentions explosions being the cause of the projectile. This look like I'm ok to shoot? Closest ranges are 15 and 30 minutes away. I know that's not bad, but my backyard is so much closer. I know I can call my locals, but I wouldn't put it past them to say no regardless of what their laws actually say. I imagine a lot of the law enforcement don't actually know the details of little laws like this.

Cant shoot a bow in the my city. Gotta big vote on hunting deer inside city limits tomorrow.
    See how that goes.

In my town you can shoot bow however the town next to us you can not. It says in our code of ordinance.

Sec. 20-161. - Discharging, etc., prohibited; exception.

(a)
    No person shall fire or discharge any gun, pistol or other firearm within the city, except on premises used by a duly licensed shooting gallery, gun club or rifle club.
    (b)
    No person shall be permitted to fire or discharge upon any public way within the city any air gun, spring gun or other similar device which is calculated or intended to propel or project a bullet, arrow or similar projectile; provided, however, that nothing in this article shall prevent the use of such weapons in shooting galleries or in any private grounds or residence, where the projectile fired or discharged from any such gun or device will not traverse any space used as a public way.

The above from the Peoria municipal code.
    If you can provide a safe range area or enough room you can shoot a bow on private property in Peoria
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
    — Dr. Seuss (The Lorax)

Quote Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
    Figured I'd raise this from the dead instead of another thread on the topic.
    I just looked over my city ordinance and couldn't find anything pertaining to Bows or Arrows. They defined projectiles as anything propelled by an explosion. In all the definitions for firearms it mentions explosions being the cause of the projectile. This look like I'm ok to shoot? Closest ranges are 15 and 30 minutes away. I know that's not bad, but my backyard is so much closer. I know I can call my locals, but I wouldn't put it past them to say no regardless of what their laws actually say. I imagine a lot of the law enforcement don't actually know the details of little laws like this.
    Very true. I live in a suburb in So. Cal and couldn't find anything pertaining to the firing of bows within city limits. BB guns, pellet guns, and firearms are prohibited but nothing about bows and arrows. I've called the local police and they told me that it should be okay since they can't find it in the city ordnance either. I've also talked to several officers who usually patrols our street and some say I can't, while others say it shouldn't be a problem.
    2012 Bear Anarchy, 65# @ 28", Spot Hogg Real Deal, TR Revolution rest, 8" B-Stinger Sport Hunter Extreme, GT Velocity XT 300

This is how our ordinance reads and it allows archery.

41.09 DISCHARGING WEAPONS.
    1. It is unlawful for a person to discharge rifles, shotguns, revolvers,
    pistols, guns or other firearms of any kind within the City limits except
    by written consent of the Council.
    2. No person shall intentionally discharge a firearm in a reckless
    manner.

41.10 THROWING AND SHOOTING. It is unlawful for a person to throw
    stones, bricks or missiles of any kind or to shoot arrows, rubber guns,
    slingshots, air rifles, BB guns or other dangerous instruments or toys on or into
    any street, alley, highway, sidewalk, public way, public ground or public
    building, without written consent of the Council

Even if it was legal I still wouldn't do it. To many stupid things happen in which we have no control. Plus you bear all the risk/liability if something does happen.

Luckily I live in the country ;-)
    Mathews Z7 - classic
    Hoyt Vector 32 - Bone Collector
    Hoyt Spyder 30

I live in one of the most liberal counties in one of the most liberal states in the country. But strangely enough, archery practice in your own yard is specifically permitted in the county code. I would be in trouble if an arrow left my property, but I'm permitted to shoot in my yard. There is even a school nearby and the police said that was not a problem since I'm far enough away/

Unfortunately, I don't have a good layout to use for a range since there are neighbors or public sidewalks on the good lines.

You have to check local laws. You may in for a good surprise like me, or not.

Good luck,
    Allen

Check local laws and if allowed use some common sense!! Seen too many videos on Youtube - people shooting in their yard with houses all around them. SCARY!!!!

legal to shoot bows in city limits?

Legal here, but I would never do it in my back yard. There are so many kids around and accidents can happen. I don't care how experienced you are, D loops fail, releases fail, you just never know. Find an archery club or range close and shoot there if you are in a neighborhood. If its wide open around you go for it.
    PantherCreekBowhunters.com

It's legal in my town.Only law there is is against firearms nothing about shooting a bow so the officer that I spoke with said im good to go
    Athens Factory Staff,Bee Stinger Shooting Staff,Black Eagle Arrows Shooting Staff,Pure Perfextion strings and cables Shooting Staff,
    Stan Shooting Staff,Trophy Blend Deer Scent

I live in a suburb that has one of the highest ratios of apartment building to houses in the metro, but it's legal to shoot a bow in my yard (not a gun tho ). The only restriction is that I can't shoot it across a roadway, which is probably a good idea no matter where you live. The neighboring town which has more houses, larger yards and fewer apartment buildings, does not permit it. Fortunately my yard backs up to a swamp/creek and I have plenty of room to shoot.
    2012 Martin Pantera, 60# Fury XT, Trophy Ridge Fire Wire V3, (stupid TR Revolution... back to the) Whisker Biscuit
    2012 Martin Tiger 20# T-Pro, Martin ESW, Martin IFC
    2012 Martin Tiger 15# T-Pro, Martin ESW, Martin IFC

Good topic... ive shot in my yard but i saw an artical about an eight year old with an arrow in his/her leg!!! yeah... i think ill stop while im ahead... i never lost an arrow in my yard but if i missed my hughe backstop and somehow missed my shop/house and hit a kid i think id quit archery all together. when i asked a local judge he seemed to see nothing wrong with it... but after hearing of that kid i think ill use my head.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast