Archery Talk Forum banner

Split limb and Parallel limbs... is there a difference?

19K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Bongos 
#1 ·
Hello All,

Fairly new to Compound bows, been shooting a PSE recurve for the last few weeks and at the range cant help but notice all of the advanced compound bows. Yesterday, I shooting next to a few Gents whom had Hoyt Alphas. Being an engineer by trade, I went home and did the research, to my understanding the split limb and parallel limb are two different technology (parallel being the improvement) ... but I cant find any info the specific improvement... possibly the parallel bows are shorter.. Any help is appreciated, I am afraid I got bitten by the bug and seriously thinking of getting one.. I kinda like the Maxxis/Alpha but their is a nice PSE BowMadness as well... luckily I have this forum and an old friend whom is heavily into Archery (though his technical information is in the recurves and with compound it's 5 or more years behind the time.. he was smart enough to tell me to make sure I know my draw lenght, etc before selecting a used bow as most if not all compound are custom fit to the shooter). Any information and advise is appreciated in advance..

#2 ·
Parallel limbs refer to the top limb being parallel to the bottom limb.

Split-limbs refer to actually having 2 limbs each on the top and bottom and bottom as compared with one solid limb.

Does that make sense?

Kev

#3 ·
Thanks Kev,

Yes, I see it does makes sense... is there any advantages outside of the apparent smaller package with the parallel limbs

#4 ·
Less forward shock or feel at shot. Force goes up and down. It has helped me with target panic or so called the yips.

#5 ·
Fairly new to Compound bows, been shooting a PSE recurve for the last few weeks and at the range cant help but notice all of the advanced compound bows. Yesterday, I shooting next to a few Gents whom had Hoyt Alphas. Being an engineer by trade, I went home and did the research, to my understanding the split limb and parallel limb are two different technology (parallel being the improvement) ... but I cant find any info the specific improvement... possibly the parallel bows are shorter.. Any help is appreciated, I am afraid I got bitten by the bug and seriously thinking of getting one.. I kinda like the Maxxis/Alpha but their is a nice PSE BowMadness as well... luckily I have this forum and an old friend whom is heavily into Archery (though his technical information is in the recurves and with compound it's 5 or more years behind the time.. he was smart enough to tell me to make sure I know my draw lenght, etc before selecting a used bow as most if not all compound are custom fit to the shooter). Any information and advise is appreciated in advance..
Parallel vs Split are two different things - each with advantages.

Solid limbs vs Split limbs... The main advantages to split limbs seems to come from the ability to tune a bow for cam lean. Several different bows recently (mostly speed bows) have used different deflections (limb "weight") for the right and left limbs - thus helping to control cam lean. A split limb bow is typically "stronger" - because they don't have the "V" which makes solid limbs prone to failure. That would be the two main advantages that I can see.

Parrallel limbs are a fairly neat idea... When you shoot a bow the forces of the bow react thru the axles at 90 degrees to the limb. On conventional bows - the forces released at the shot tend to throw the bow forward. On a parallel limbed bow, these same forces cancel each other out - and thus you feel very little movement of the bow upon the shot release. So a parallel limbed bow will feel "quieter" when shot - and less movement is easier on accessories like sights and rests. Parallel limbed bows use longer risers and shorter limbs to keep the bow geometry correct (brace height and axle-to-axle). Shorter limbs are more "snappy" than longer limbs - and thus there is an inherent speed advantage to parallel limbed bows. The riser is one of the heaviest things on a bow - and making them longer costs a bit in overall bow weight. I am sure this has been one of the driving forces behind shorter ATA bows - it helps to compensate for the heavier riser. It also makes it cheaper to machine...

I think those are the main advantages... Maybe someone else will contribute some more.

#10 ·
Like in most posts, you guys go above and beyond the explanation of the question, including effects of design.. I REALLY Appreciate.. Thank you.. I got a long way to go

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.