Thread: I got a plethora of questions.

I got a plethora of questions.

First off I will fill you in with my situation. Next season I plan to hunt a chunk of public land right next to my cabin. When we drive down the road going to the place, we see deer almost every time we go through. I have hunted off the road about 100 yards in a tree and set up about 20 yards off of the valley that I would think they would travel through, right? Well I am thinking about changing spots a little. This fall I have seen the deer have made a pretty beaten down trail about 150 yards down the road, at a place I also see deer frequently but not as often as the other place.
    So, here come the questions. I want to buy a trail camera and set it up on the second trail I had mentioned. Do you think the deer will travel the same paths that they had taken the previous year? How far in should I go? I am also looking to set up a more permanent climber or ladder stand because I got sick of tracking my climber in and out after every sit. There are some pretty sketchy neighbors there that we believe had stolen a stand that had belonged to one of the other families that live along the road. This has caused me to be a little sketchy about leaving stuff near here. I am thinking about how to get around the sketchy family from knowing my equipment is there. How should I do that? Any other tips you guys could give me?

2010 #60 Martin Cheetah
    Trophy Taker Drop Away
    Trophy Ridge Outlaw .19 4 pin
    GoldTip Expedition Hunters 5575 w/ 100gr. Slick Trick Mags

Deer will usually use the same trails yearly. Deer are a creatures of habit as long as they have safety. But when they sense danger or smell something foreign, they will vacate the area. I wouldn't put a permanent stand on any public land. They tend to grow legs and walk.
    The Lord Jesus Christ is our saviour. Only he can give us eternal life.

stick with the climber or you can lock your stands up and pull your sticks. but even that doesn't completely prevent theft. if they're worthless enough to steal,they'll do it whether the stands are locked or not. i wouldn't even consider putting a trail cam out. nothing is safevthese days. deer generally stick with the same travel routes year to year. once they pattern you,they will change theirs. use your climber and set up 30yds or so off the trails and pay close attention to where they are going and coming from and move accordingly.

just noticed you shoot a Cheetah. great bow. check out the Martin Tech Forum
    '09 HCA Speed Pro
    '14 HCA Axis

High Country Archery-the fastest bows under warranty

Putting a trail cam on state land is always a gamble. I usually stop running mine 2 weeks before bow season starts just because I don't want it to walk off. Also, putting permanent stands on state lands is not legal in Minnesota. As far as where to set up, you can't argue with fresh deer sign. I would start on the trail that is seeing the most activity for that year.

Quote Originally Posted by carl1191 View Post
    putting a trail cam on state land is always a gamble. I usually stop running mine 2 weeks before bow season starts just because i don't want it to walk off. Also, putting permanent stands on state lands is not legal in minnesota. As far as where to set up, you can't argue with fresh deer sign. I would start on the trail that is seeing the most activity for that year.
    x2.

I hunt exclusively on public land and hang my trail camera's in a tree about 12-15 feet up, tilted down. If someone does happen upon it I have found they are less likely to be looking up and see it. I also go out of my way to be sure they blend in as much as possible. As far as your stand goes, stick to the climber and pack it in with you each trip.. way to many thieves out there to just hope no one happens by. I would absolutely recommend investing in a trail cam or two, sounds like your on the right track to me. I have also found on public land once opening weekend passes, with the pressure a lot can change, I try to get to places other guys aren't willing to go, the farther from a road the better where I hunt.
    Good luck man!