Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how far can a compound bow shoot

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

how far can a compound bow shoot

just curious not an accuracy issue. just a how far issue. if i were to just draw back and let er rip how far could i send an arrow. i ask because i made a booboo. was practicing in the back yard and my d loop came off at mid draw, and my arm canted and the arrow just went needless to say had the d loop fixed that day but dont want to kill anyone. and was just curious as to how far the arrow would have gone. it is non residential area so im not worried about hitting anyone, just curious as to distance the arrow would have went.

G5 believer. In god we trust uncle ted for pesident.

The furtherest I have seen one fly was something like 430 yards.

Bit of trivia - I've read an English archer from back in the day could shoot a long bow with accuracy up to 200 yards.

thats nuts didnt expect that kind of distance. but then again never just let an arrow fly either

Quote Originally Posted by gymrat70 View Post
    Bit of trivia - I've read an English archer from back in the day could shoot a long bow with accuracy up to 200 yards.
    that is some pretty good shootin. well runnin from prince john he would have had to learn his craft well to join the merry men

Simple GOOGLE search came up with this........

Distances shot

The furthest distance shot with any bow is 2,047 yards (1,871.84m) . This was shot
    by the late Harry Drake in 1988 using a crossbow. The furthest with a hand-held — and
    pulled — bow is 1,336 yds 1' 3" (1,222.01m) , shot by Don Brown with an unlimited
    conventional Flight bow in 1987. My 40kg Compound World Record of 1,162 yards was
    made shooting a 30 kg bow — I can't pull 40 kg!

Distances achieved in Britain include:

Conventional Flight Bow (unlimited): Alan Webster — 916 yards
    Compound Flight Bow (60 lbs): Barry Groves - 914 yards. That distance has since been
    beaten
    2013 BowTech - Experience - Easton Injexion - Hamskea Versa Rest - Vendetta Enforcer - Black Gold - Ascent Vengeance

Quote Originally Posted by brd556 View Post
    Simple GOOGLE search came up with this........

Distances shot

The furthest distance shot with any bow is 2,047 yards (1,871.84m) . This was shot
    by the late Harry Drake in 1988 using a crossbow. The furthest with a hand-held — and
    pulled — bow is 1,336 yds 1' 3" (1,222.01m) , shot by Don Brown with an unlimited
    conventional Flight bow in 1987. My 40kg Compound World Record of 1,162 yards was
    made shooting a 30 kg bow — I can't pull 40 kg!

Distances achieved in Britain include:

Conventional Flight Bow (unlimited): Alan Webster — 916 yards
    Compound Flight Bow (60 lbs): Barry Groves - 914 yards. That distance has since been
    beaten
    yeah i saw this doesnt make my stomach feel better knowing i could have flung an arrow that far without hitting something i never thought of this before. Note to self always check your bow. It is only 2 months old never even thought the d loop would snap in under 300 shots. Makes me sick i could have hurt someone or something.

Quote Originally Posted by burda1021 View Post
    yeah i saw this doesnt make my stomach feel better knowing i could have flung an arrow that far without hitting something i never thought of this before. Note to self always check your bow. It is only 2 months old never even thought the d loop would snap in under 300 shots. Makes me sick i could have hurt someone or something.
    To be honest, I'm gonna put $10 on it that you're overbowing yourself. The d loop didn't break and make your arm magically "cant" (I'm going to guess you meant life/elevate). It was already lifted before it broke, otherwise the timeframe simply wouldn't make sense.

In other words? You're skydrawing because your bow is far too heavy for you. Now it would be fair to guess you're a big macho guy like 90% of the other people here (or at least think that way), so you'll probably ignore this and tell yourself you're fine.

just curious not an accuracy issue. just a how far issue. if i were to just draw back and let er rip how far could i send an arrow. i ask because i made a booboo. was practicing in the back yard and my d loop came off at mid draw, and my arm canted and the arrow just went needless to say had the d loop fixed that day but dont want to kill anyone. and was just curious as to how far the arrow would have gone. it is non residential area so im not worried about hitting anyone, just curious as to distance the arrow would have went.
    Another example of why you should draw your bow at a target and not the sky!!
    RIVERSIDE ARCHERY & RANGE
    SUMAVA RESORTS, IN

Quote Originally Posted by Bean Burrito View Post
    Now it would be fair to guess you're a big macho guy like 90% of the other people here (or at least think that way), so you'll probably ignore this and tell yourself you're fine.
    And another example of why people stop asking questions on AT...because instead of being given/offered constructive advice in a friendly manner, they cop that ^^^ rubbish!

I had my share of broken d-loops .... whether the knot slipped or loop got cut by burr on release tooth ( chipped a tooth once...grrrrr ). Every failure send my arrow towards the general target area simply because i draw my bow inline with target.

Sky drawing , chicken wing , drunken warrior - all these methods help overcome powerful draw weight , but take away from accuracy and lead to injury in later time - not to forget -are just plain dangerous for everyone around .

Bean's comment might be "spicy" , but He is far from being wrong ... just sayin' .

To answer OP's thread : all my bows are 60lb or less ... the furthest distance i got was about 400 yards . Couple of arrows hit a tree stomps and buried themselves deep enough where i had to break'em off

^^^ i agree^^ what Burrito said is 100% correct, but no need to qualify with sarcasm

not over drawing i did get done walking 8 hours with a backpack leaf blower on my back which could have led to the feel of being overdrawn. all my bows i shoot at 68-72 pound dw. im really more concerned with the fact that i sent an arrow that far. when you take hunter tracker education they never talk about how far an arrow goes only the bullets. in 6 years of shooting this is really the first ntime anything like this ever happened. the d loop worked for the first 200+ shots.

I tried it. A 70# 29" Mathews MQ 1 shooting a Gold Tip 5575 with 3" vanes (385 gr) starting at 275 fps went 445 yards. And that isn't exactly a speed bow.

DRAW ON TARGET. Always. Period. There is never any excuse not to except possibly shooting at extreme angles when you need to draw straight and then adjust for the angle.
    archeryreport.com: BOWS, ARROWS, PHYSICS AND MORE!
    Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about

oops...double post
    archeryreport.com: BOWS, ARROWS, PHYSICS AND MORE!
    Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about

Quote Originally Posted by Bean Burrito View Post
    To be honest, I'm gonna put $10 on it that you're overbowing yourself. The d loop didn't break and make your arm magically "cant" (I'm going to guess you meant life/elevate). It was already lifted before it broke, otherwise the timeframe simply wouldn't make sense.

In other words? You're skydrawing because your bow is far too heavy for you. Now it would be fair to guess you're a big
    macho guy like 90% of the other people here (or at least think that way), so you'll probably ignore this and tell yourself you're fine.
    Breaking a dloop at any angle would be scary. Whether he over-bowed himself or not, judging his character is not right. You could have been far more constructive with your comments. He stated he was scared and was not letting this experience go unnoticed. I was more curious also with how far an arrow will go with how powerful they are today.

Could someone explain the "chickenwing" and "drunken warrior" techniques, please?

We put a 5 gallon bucket out in a field where we camp and shoot around 300 yds to see who can get the closest, with helical fletching and offset fletching there is quite a bit of drag so 300 yds is about right for bows just above 300 fps and hunting arrows.

Quote Originally Posted by Learn2turn View Post
    Could someone explain the "chickenwing" and "drunken warrior" techniques, please?
    ^Also curious about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Widgeon View Post
    DRAW ON TARGET. Always. Period. There is never any excuse not to except possibly shooting at extreme angles when you need to draw straight and then adjust for the angle.
    Exactly, well said Widgeon.

Kev
    Kev <><
    2011 Black Supra 60# for target, 38" ATA
    2011 Black Supra 60# for hunting, 38" ATA
    "I have never let down and then wished that I hadn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Learn2turn View Post

Have you ever seen someone at the bow range trying to draw a bow way to heavy for them they jerk and bend their arms. And some guys see if they can rip back on there bow and you see them grunt and holler and legs quiver.
    I.E. chicken wing or drunken warrior. Not really a technique but lack there of...

Dude, i need your phone number. We came home last week and there was an arrow stuck in the roof of my wifes lexus.

thats nuts didnt expect that kind of distance. but then again never just let an arrow fly either
    And I'm sure you didn't get anywhere near that kind of distance if you were only at mid-draw. Not even half that I'd say.
    2013 PSE PHENOM ME; 2011 PSE DOMINATOR PRO TH; 2011 PSE SUPRA HP;
    T.R.U. BALL RELEASES; BERNIE'S LITE HAWK STABILZERS; 60X CUSTOM STRINGS

Don't jump to conclusions just because you're dealing with cold hard facts! - My Dad; circa 1969

I have no idea how far one could go, but to you guys who have tested it, did you shoot with your arrow running at a 45 degree angle to the ground? You would need to in order to gain the most distance. If you did, did you try other angles as well? I
    Just curious as to how much difference there was.
    2011 Bowtech Assassin black-ops 30/73 lbs
    6" stokerized hunter black and red
    Limbdriver arrow rest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast