a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: rail lube?

rail lube?

new to xbows ,,, do you have to apply
    lube to the barrel (rail) or is it just applied
    to the string and cables?

sorry I am a newby

Rail lube apply on the "barrel - rail", every 10-20 shoots and little(not too much) rail lube on the center serving.
    Use string lube wax for the cables (not serving) and the rest of the string (not center serving).
    You can also apply some rail lube on the cable serving and the rest of the string serving - that serving which goes thru cams...
    Overall don't use too much

milan.

ok thank you!!!

What is the difference between string lube (wax) and rail lube (wax). I have several waxes laying around and couldn't tell the difference with the rail lube that came with the Excalibur bow. I found it to be overely sticky on my rail and was thinking about trying another brand but now that you state they are different I'm not sure of the expected wax characteristics for the rail.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Kwikee View Post
    What is the difference between string lube (wax) and rail lube (wax). I have several waxes laying around and couldn't tell the difference with the rail lube that came with the Excalibur bow. I found it to be overely sticky on my rail and was thinking about trying another brand but now that you state they are different I'm not sure of the expected wax characteristics for the rail.
    String wax is for string protection.
    Rail lube is it's basically lubrication to reduce friction between the string and barrel.

milan.

String wax
    Wax.JPG

Lubrication
    Lube.JPG

Mr. Kwikee

You are applying too much string wax on the center serving! Which is not the best thing, because consequent all that "dirt" is transmitted in the trigger housing - not good! Use string wax just for the string and maybe every 50 shoots apply a little on the center serving. For to center serving and the barrel use the rail lube - lubrication.

milan.

Read the instructions that came with your weapon. The manufactuer of my weapon says to NEVER wax the center serving. It will foul up the trigger mechanism. Also the frequency of application is different with various manufacturers. My Wicked Ridge only needs to have the rail lubed every 75 shots, according to the owners manual. Generally bowstring wax is all the same. But that gets applied to the string only. And possibly the cables if they are made out of the same type of material as the string. Manufacturers are all different. Follow your owners manual!

I sold my barnett predator, but good old chap stick lubricated my rail pretty good when I couldnt get any rail lube. however the string wax appeared too sticky for the rail. but its gone I had to graduate to a compound.