Thread: Compound vs.recurve crossbows

Compound vs.recurve crossbows

I'm considering the purchase of a crossbow. Strictly for hunting and most hunting done from the ground..spot and stalk. (Just like I hunt with my regular compound bow.) I want a simple and quiet bow. Speed is not an issue. All shots will be taken at 50 yards or less. Is there any advantage to having a compound bow rather then a recurve. Limb width is not an issue. Thanks.

Tom
    Been shootin' fingers for over 30 years. I like to keep life simple.

Well simple crossbow is recurve crossbow, but it's loudd ...There are few compound crossbows that are "quite"...but either one deer will hear!
    Here is a video Compound crossbow vs. compound bow. This crossbow is fairly quiet compared to the Compound bow...but there are more quiter crossbow that this one is.
    If you take a good quality recurve you won't need any bowshop near, you can do all yourself. Well, i don't have bow shop near either, but i am shooting compound crossbow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Purr-...zhIaD3h7J6hbyC

milan.

I like the recurve xbow over the compound xbow. Nothing to go wrong except a string, no timing issues, cables or pulleys. My Horton CS225 recurve is fairly quiet compared to compound xbows. Speed around 317fps, and very accurate. My friend just got his Kodabow recurve today, hopefully get to shoot it this weekend. If you haven't seen their line of bows go to www.Kodabows.com and check them out. I like my Horton, but this Kodabow is awesome looking and suppose to shoot as accurate as my horton or excaliber recurves. They all put out about the same fps. Another nice thing you can change your string yourself, never have to go to the shop. Hope this helps you out.

"I like to keep life simple", me too, that's why I have a Excalibur Vortex.........don't need a press to change strings, can change the string in the field and uncock without discharging the arrow. The bow is accurate because it doesn't have cams and cables to go out of tune. They arn't speed demons by some but fast enough to harvest any game in the US, and that's fast enough for me! Whatever your choice good luck with your decision.

I have had a few pretty good compounds key word is had. I like the Excaliburs my self. I have a Relayer Y25 200# bow with a wood stock and a Ibex. The Relayer will shoot around 315 with a 400+ gr arrow. The Ibex around 280. You can forget quite having said that you can tame the Excals to a point. By adding a Boo string and some other things.
    One thing that really is a deal breaker for me. With a compound if you cock the bow you must shoot it. That means carry a target or shoot it in the ground . The Excals you can uncock the bow with the rope cocker look at there web sight.
    Plus there are about as bullet proof as they come with a outstanding warranty and customer service
    Good luck

recurve is dead nuts accurate, simple, and easy....buy an Excal, you wont be sorry.
    I hate Politicians!

If you want simple...recurve
    Quiet...no such thing in a x-bow, some more than others but a deer will hear them all!
    Dependable, rugged & accurate, with a life time warranty on the bow not the person...EXCALIBUR!!!
    Excalibur Vortex
    Excalibur Ibex
    Excalibur Vixen
    Shadowzone/Lumizone/Varizone
    Spitfire/Slick Tricks

love no moving parts, quite, extremely accurate. love my ten point gt curve all i need to go hunting

tenpoint gtcurve. pse baby g

For me when it comes to any bow it's a recurve Weather it's x bow or regular bow

My Excalibur is a sledgehammer it's never seen a bow shop and it has been hammering deer for 10 years

Easy to tune and does not come out of tune . I carry an extra string that has been pre stretched and is ready to go. I have never had to use it

I have never seen an Excalibur fail in my own personal experience and I have seen many compound ones let people down

IMHO there really in only one choice

Recurve

You stated that you are going to shoot 50 yds. Better get a bow shooting around 350 fps or you will have string jumping issues and possibly penetration problems also. This would effectively eliminate most if not all recurves.

Quote Originally Posted by joeky View Post
    You stated that you are going to shoot 50 yds. Better get a bow shooting around 350 fps or you will have string jumping issues and possibly penetration problems also. This would effectively eliminate most if not all recurves.
    That is ridiculous no bow is fast enough at 50 yds to stop a deer from jumping the string if he is gonna

Thanks for the suggestions. My present "regular" bow is a Hoyt ProTec and although I typically would not take fifty yard shot, I do practice at that distance and have actually taken both deer and turkeys at 30-40 yards. I'm considering a crossbow because an old wrist injury is acting up.

Tom
    Been shootin' fingers for over 30 years. I like to keep life simple.

I now own 2 compounds and 1 recurve. I'ts a toss up, all personal preferance. I would suggest calling David Wilkins @ Wyvern Creations.com. The best call you can make to find what you are looking for.

Simple means a recurve. Quiet means it doesn't exist yet. If you want 350 fps for a 50 yard shot, that means a Middleton 355 or 375. What you're asking for is pushing the envelope just a little too far. You'll have to settle for the recurve, with the speed you want but only as quiet as you can get, not quiet.

Compounds / recurves

Have only used excaliburs for several years; no problems and no bow shops; change the string at home or in the field if needed; am ABLE to make 50 plus yards shots but do not because too much can go wrong for me at that distance; have only killed 3 deer past 30 and the rest have been 20 and under; quit counting after 125 with my phoenix and that was years ago; not bragging at all just fact but most of the deer are small ones as I am a meat hunter who doesn't care at all about horns;
    my phoenix has over 10,000 shots through it and not one problem ever; if it went down tomorrow, I would buy another one just like it; ecaliburs are everything they claim to be plus alot more; hope you the best of luck in your choice;

BTW, once you've enter the "dark side" there will be no turning back or known cure for the "bug"..................