Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Tower stand project

overkill .. yes

solid and worry free ...YES
    >>>---------->
    oldschoolcj5

looks good so far
    Obsession Phoenix

I’ve moved the stand deck out to the back patio because I need the room to build the larger parts of the stand. I leveled it up because when I poured the back patio I used a lot of slope for good drainage. Eventually I will bring all the walls out here as well and give them a test run before shipping the stand to its permanent home. I would rather discover surprises in the shop than out in the woods.

I painted the exposed edges even though the door threshold will cover this area and the OSB on the door will protect it. I just figured it was better safe than sorry with melting snow.

Then I framed up both of the sides of the base and marked the pieces and disassembled them.

If you go all the way back to the beginning of this project you will see I had intended to use a ladder to get into the stand. Since this stand will be used by hunters in their 80’s as well as little kids. I went back to the drawing board (literally) and designed a very easy to climb set of stairs. The cost and time went up a bit but will make for a better and safer climb. While the plan does not show it I will be adding more vert railing on both the hand rail and the deck rail.

I don’t know what it is about treated lumber but finding 2, 12 foot long 2 x 8’s meant sorting through a lot of warped and twisted junk to get two that were usable.

It was a fun rainy Sunday project. Its going to take more than a couple guys to raise and position this staircase. Its pretty heavy. The stair treads are 2 x 10 x 24 inches.

Now I need to get back to making all the sliding plexiglass windows for the rest of the blind.

Good golly Molly!! I've seen bomb shelters not built that well!
    Prov 16:3 "Commit your actions to the Lord, and your plans will succeed."

I have a dumb question.... how are you going to move that behemoth to the stand site? That's got to weigh a ton. I like every part of it but I probably wold have built as much of it as I could in the field.
    We're all here 'cause we're not all there...

The stand has been on hold for several days as a family member has had some medical issues I have had to deal with on their behalf. I did have an opportunity to redesign the windows and how they will be constructed to simplify making them. Its a simple lap joint ans a slot for the plexiglass. Soon I will be back to work on the stand but sometimes life gets in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by NYBowNut View Post
    I have a dumb question.... how are you going to move that behemoth to the stand site? That's got to weigh a ton. I like every part of it but I probably wold have built as much of it as I could in the field.
    The stand parts are all modular. Its being assembled in pieces in my shop and the parts will be transported to the final site. The small walls weigh only 50 pounds. The large walls 80, the roof, about 90, the stairs about 100. The legs and base were pre-assembled and them marked and disassembled and will be reassembled on site so its not like I have to move the entire completed statnd.

Ron - not sure if I mentioned this before. If your windows are going to slide, and have several pieces where they slide along them selves to open up shooting positions in various and varying locations.

I put in some alum U-Channel from menards. The windows slide very easily and very quietly. Much better than just a dado or router cut into the wood.
    Kevin Garceau

Owner: G-Force Archery and Outdoors
    Custom high performance arrows built to your needs.
    I can help with any and all archery accessory needs at competitive pricing

Thanks, these windows are vert. Sliders (up and down like a casement window) not side to side.

I see - I had originally designed my current stand with verticals....but since it was facing into the wind I didnt want all the windows open at one time early in the morning so I went side by side route.

they slide in and past each other so I could have enough open to shoot through and still be able to duck out of the wind if need be - however we havent had a real cold hunt the past few years.
    Kevin Garceau

Owner: G-Force Archery and Outdoors
    Custom high performance arrows built to your needs.
    I can help with any and all archery accessory needs at competitive pricing

Window construction Is under way. Waiting for coats of paint to dry is taking too much time in the chilly weather.

In the meantime, I decided to add a little pitch to the roof to make sure the rain and snow are pitched away from the side with the stairs and the door. I ripped a couple wedges that fade from 1 ½ thick to zero thick. Then I cut some ports in between the bays to act as air vents. Then I covered them with aluminum mesh sheet to keep bats and wasps out. I will put a inlet air vent in the bottom of one of the walls. This way, when the stand is sealed up over the summer and its 100+ degrees outside, the stand will be able to breath a bit.

While waiting for the windows to dry I am making the tracks that they will run in.

excellent job,good ideas and pictures of the process are really good,i was looking at these other towers .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Moosemeat Archery Supply

All the windows are made and painted and the tracks installed. Time to start insulating and covering the inside walls with 1/4 inch OSB. I think I will paint the entire inside flat black. I also need to make the window counterweight system so no matter what position I want to lift the windows, they will stay up.

That's sweet. Good job.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." ~Unknown~
    Lowering standards increases success rates!!
    Lefty Elite Answer 27.5" DL, 62# DW (Red Speed Mods) 426grain Victory VAP w/SS Penetrator FOC 17% . That's right I'm a lefty.

Crabtree, you're a real craftsman. I've really enjoyed following this thread. Thanks for going to the trouble of posting all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabow View Post
    Crabtree, you're a real craftsman. I've really enjoyed following this thread. Thanks for going to the trouble of posting all of this.
    x2 THANKS!!

>>>---------->
    oldschoolcj5

Nice work RC. Now is that going to be heated with wood or GFA? I just love this DIY forum. Good stuff.
    You can't argue with stupid, for they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I’m insulating it with 1 ½” thick ridged foam. He should be able to heat it with a flashlight or beer farts. Actually, a small green tank of Coleman propane with a heater head will more than warm this to a very comfortable temp that a 77 year old on blood thinners will be able to use comfortably during the November gun deer season.

Somehow I just knew with the handle of Rancid Crabtree this thread would be interesting.
    Thnak you
    Switchback XT 60# Bear Minuteman 50#
    Easton DOA/Flatline
    QAD/Bowrattler
    IQ 3 Pin
    G5 Montec CS

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Crabtree View Post
    I’m insulating it with 1 ½” thick ridged foam. He should be able to heat it with a flashlight or beer farts. Actually, a small green tank of Coleman propane with a heater head will more than warm this to a very comfortable temp that a 77 year old on blood thinners will be able to use comfortably during the November gun deer season.
    I'd suggest a coleman stove. That way he could fry up them critters eating that foam. It's win - win. Heat-n-eat baby!
    You can't argue with stupid, for they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I started insulating the walls with ridged foam that 1.5 thick. I have some leftovers from the last meat smoker project so I didn’t need to purchase much additional foam.

After the insulation, I covered the wall with ¼ inch OSB.

Then gave the interior a spray coat of flat black.

For the bottom sections, I did the same except I had to create a smaller and uninsulated area for the window counter balance weights.

The ¼ thick OSB panel that covers the counter weight has to be removable should I need to service the weight. The other portions that never need to be removed are nailed in place.

I made a short video of the windows and the counterweight. The windows will stay open in any position without needing to prop them open. They slide well and are not too noisy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFziI...ature=youtu.be

Because I have air vents at the top of the stand to vent off the hot air when the stand is sealed up during the off season, I needed an air inlet. I added a stainless steel mesh screen wrapped in an aluminum frame and then put a little rain guard above it. I placed it as close to the floor as I could. I think I have all the venting I need and hopefully the stand will have enough air flow to avoid getting moldy inside.

With the walls done I added a flip up shelf on the long wall and covered it with the same indoor/outdoor carpet I plan to use on the floor of the stand. Its hinged and can be lowered to lay flat against the wall when its not needed.

Lifting it and swinging the angle support down lowers the shelf.

Looks great so far!
    2011 Bear Carnage
    ProLine Strings, QAD Ultra HD, HHA DS5000, CE Blue Streak 350s, ST Grizztrick 2 100gr
    2013 Tenpoint Titan Xtreme
    CE Maxima Hunter, ST Grizztrick 2 125gr

I think you have thought of about everything!
    2013 Hoyt Carbon Martix G3

Quote Originally Posted by .BuckHunt. View Post
    I think you have thought of about everything!
    I sure hope so, its being errected next weekend 3 hours from my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid Crabtree View Post
    I sure hope so, its being errected next weekend 3 hours from my shop.
    Let me know when you get here. I'll even help you unload. I hope all that work pays off for you. Nice job.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast