Thread: What's the best way to whiten a deer skulls?

What's the best way to whiten a deer skulls?

Got a nice ten point to mount and don't really know how to whiten the skull, any help is appreciated

Beauty supply store and get the 40% peroxide they use for bleaching hair...coat as many times as you like. Do not use bleach though as it will eat the bone and end up damaging it in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS_HNTR View Post
    Beauty supply store and get the 40% peroxide they use for bleaching hair...coat as many times as you like. Do not use bleach though as it will eat the bone and end up damaging it in the long run.
    yeah. this is what I use. Its also called Developer. I help the process by wrapping up in saran wrap and setting in front of a heater. the heat really makes the stuff work and work fast.
    Make me sweet again
    fragrant and fresh and wild
    and thankful for any small event
    ~Rumi~

Degrease it in Dawn soap and Hot water first to get out as much grease as possible ...otherwise it will eventually yellow.

I am assuming you have removed all skin, meat, boiled it, etc....

No need for the beuaty supply peroxide. Common off the shelf stuff works great.
    Get a aluminum roasting pan. Wrap the the skull with cotton rags so as to make contact with all the surface of the skull. Saturate the cotton rags with peroxide. Place in the roasting pan and cover with a dark bath towel or cloth. Light breaks down peroxide that is why you cover it. Let sit. Next day resaturate the cloth and cover. Repeat for a couple of days and it will be done. Note it will not be bright white until after it sits a day or two and the moisture evaporates.
    “When a hunter is in a tree stand with high morale values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God”
    Fred Bear

Same 40% peroxide as mentioned above, when you are done seal it with a 50/50 mixture of Elmer's White Glue and water.

I see you are in TX so can soak the skull.

Skin the head and remove as much meat as possible. Submerge the skull in a bucket of water and leave until all of the meat has fallen off. Will take about a month and it will STINK but is the best way to remove and keep a white skull. Boiling and burying actually causes the bone to yellow, will never be as nice/white and one that has been soaked. It is usually done with the teeth start to fall out. Keep track of them and glue them back in with super glue if needed. Take it out and hose it off.

After the water you need to degrease the skull. Put back in the bucket and soak for three days in white gas (Coleman lantern fuel). Obviously don't put it anywhere it can catch fire. Take it out and let it dry in the sun. Will look like it doesn't even need the peroxide at this point. Then use the 40% peroxide solution on the bone and it will be snow white, dry and stay that way forever.

Some good advice on here. I like the soak in water idea I am going to try that next yr

As far as removing meat and such. Find someone in your area with beatles. Well worth the $.

try oxyclean...
    08 High Country Iron Mace - 70# DW with 30'' DL
    Victory V3's wrapped by BattleDrum steered by FOBs with G5 Montec doing the cutting
    Smooth Stability 12'' Stabilizer
    Tru Ball Pro Diamond Extreme Release
    Treelimb Quivers ---- Sure Loc Leathal Weapon

Lived across the street from a taxidermist in TX and that was his method. I did some pig skulls and they turned out really nice.

I use the generic oxyclean from the dollar store. It works just as good let soak overnight.
    Quote Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
    try oxyclean...
    QUEST QS 33
    QAD ULTRA REST
    TOXONICS 5 PIN SIGHT
    GOLD TIP EXPEDITION HUNTER ARROWS
    GRIM REAPER WHITETAIL SPECIALS

Let a taxidermist do it ........... Duh --- lol
    I deer hunt what do you do ?

I use volume 40 peroxide and mix with bleach white powder and make a paste. Smear all over the skull, place in a plastic bag for couple of days, then rinse off with a water. Place in sun for a day or two to whiten.
    Shoot with the FORCE
    Shoot to Live, Live for CHRIST
    Member of the PSE Militia
    2010 PSE Axe 6/Sword Twilight Hunter Micro/QAD HD PRO/Doinker Dish
    John's Customs Strings & Tuning

mez- you mentioned "your from TX" why does his location matter? Only asking because I am in PA and looking for a good method! You also said the Peroxide solution...what exactly is the "solution"? other then that I will be using your method tomorrow

Location in that it is warm all year in Texas so the meat will rot off a lot faster. You tried that in South Dakota right now you would just have a skull frozen in a bucket of ice!

The 40% peroxide solution from a beauty shop.

haha very true, didnt think of it that way. So basically keeping this skull in regular water works well though.