a href="http://www.lancasterarchery.com/archery-classic-register/#header">

Thread: Homemade crank for crossbow?

Homemade crank for crossbow?

Has anybody ever tried to make one.?

I bought my first crossbow, a GT Flex. The crank costs about $250 and adds weight to the crossbow. I don't like either of them. I have been thinking about how to make one using a ratchet strap. I would use such an item for practice and use the rope cocker in the woods. So far my time is also valuable and I havenot put much thought into it.... Also thinking about securing the stirrup to a tree trunk and using a rope cocker that has 4 to 1 advantage (just need to pull it very far). Maybe I will put my brain into gear after Late Season is over....

HH

Tom D ... you wanna take this one???? LOL
    Scorpyd Velocity165 425.5fps @ 426gr & 171KE, Zeiss 3-12 Illum Duralyt, CamX Accuspine, 100gr Firenock SBG RamCats Scorpyd Orion150 Leupold 2.5-8x36mm, AcuDraw, Wyvern BEEs. Swarovski bino, Leica rangefinder, Surefire, Deerelight & Fenix lights.
    White Buffalo Inc. - Project Manager ... Wounded Warrior Project - Mentor ... NRA Life Member 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post

..... No you dident !...

Hunter, unless you have access to machine shop tools , its probably just as cost effective to buy on used at least, as they are designed to handle the load the crossbow has., gear reduction technology and all.
    LS 390, HHA, HHA scope L-4
    Excalibur Matrix 380, RH Custom string, Trigger Tech, HHA
    Crossbow Warrior Pro Staff
    NRA Member !

The tension your limbs have....best not to fool around with homemade cranks. I would think about modifying a factory made crank to fit my bow....but not starting out almost blindfolded and building something from scratch. If you could use more pulleys for more mechanical advantage someone would have made one by now. I like the cocking levers that are on some foreign xbows. I also like the Concord with the CO2 system. When I can't pull back the ropes on my Vortex, I'll buy a crank from Excalibur. But I like "do it yourselvers", and with the right amount of skill and patience anything is possible! Good luck!

Some of these bow cranks are starting to look like boat winches,
    Hank
    2010 Equinox with S-5, and Smokepole string
    Firebolts with pink tigerstripe Blazers
    145 gr. Saunders Blunts
    150 gr. Boltcutters
    Life tastes sweet, and the older I get, the sweeter it tastes.

I have a small comealong, I thought about mounting it on something to use it somehow.?
    I think it would work. The comalongs come in many different sizes.
    I just had surgury on my neck, and there is no way I could pull It back any other way.
    Our season starts next monday. and no time to order one.
    I tried a ratchet strap style But it would not pull the weight.
    The XBOW is a Horton bonecollector 175.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
    Nope. Not gonna touch this with a 10 foot pole.

Crossbows have a LOT of power behind them. The have amputated fingers and thumbs of the unwary or uneducated. There is zero room for error with forces that large that can bite you in the blink of an eye.

Somebody on here compared a cocked crossbow to a cocked bear trap. That is a very good analogy.

Even factory made cocking devices fail. One guy on here had his rope break and the sled on the cocking device was shot into his foot in the stirrup and broke 3 bones in his foot.

Go the factory route. If you don't have the money, wait until you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
    Somebody on here compared a cocked crossbow to a cocked bear trap. That is a very good analogy.
    That is my saying. I like to compare holding a cocked crossbow to a set bear trap.

My point is a crossbowman can never be lackadaisical. This means keeping your wits about you at all times while handling your cocked crossbow. Having the safety 'on' does not promise the crossbow can't go off. The same is true for ADF gismos.

It is the crossbowman themselves that must be responsible. You can never let your guard down during the cocking procedure or afterwards, period.