Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simple ideas for moonshine still?

Simple ideas for moonshine still?

Alright guys I'm looking for some simple, cheap, DIY still plans. Seems like a simple enough concept. Was going to post this in the DIY section but has nothing to do with archery. Any help would be appreciated, could always pm me too. Thanks.

I watched moonshiners on the discovery channel the other night for the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by pearson mike View Post
    do you have any experience with these? and is it legal in indiana?
    ''My idea of heaven is chasing Whitetail bucks."

http://countrywideoutdoors.com/

I'm partial to the Mr Distiller from the mile hi distilling web site, you'll agree when you click on the picture to get a close up of those jugs

try and find a copy of the foxfire book volume 1.itll tell you how to make a still and a good recipe.ive made it by its directions and its smooth and has a great taste.
    When its all said and done...They`ll be alot more said than done...

Made my still today. Extremely simple. Large cooking pot I sealed with a gasket, copper tubing, 5 gallon bucket for cooling. I'll be making some mash tomorrow if anyone got any good recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearboy17 View Post
    Made my still today. Extremely simple. Large cooking pot I sealed with a gasket, copper tubing, 5 gallon bucket for cooling. I'll be making some mash tomorrow if anyone got any good recipes.
    what plans did you use for the still?

None in particular. It's actually a pretty basic concept. I used knowledge from my survival training along with some pictures and articles and info from some old timers I know. It's nothing big, just something I can play with on my days off.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    I'm partial to the Mr Distiller from the mile hi distilling web site, you'll agree when you click on the picture to get a close up of those jugs
    Hoo Hoooo!
    Mike, proud member of the NCWID!
    USA
    PROUD MEMBER OF OHM RESISTANCE
    AR34 RAM.5 / PSE Bow Madness 32 Extreme sights, WB rests

None in particular. It's actually a pretty basic concept. I used knowledge from my survival training along with some pictures and articles and info from some old timers I know. It's nothing big, just something I can play with on my days off.
    I gotcha, im about determined to make a still.lol

its not an alluminum pot is it?alluminum causes a chemical reaction that poisons the whiskey.you need copper or stainless steel

Quote Originally Posted by jasonposs View Post
    try and find a copy of the foxfire book volume 1.itll tell you how to make a still and a good recipe.ive made it by its directions and its smooth and has a great taste.
    I've got those books!

Nope not aluminum it's an old stainless pressure cooker.

You still need to be careful with it to make sure nothing leaches into the shine. Dont use pvc pipe either. And the seal everything off make a paste out of flour and water, that way if something blows it just breaks the seal instead of blowing the whole thing

Quote Originally Posted by HOOSIER55 View Post
    do you have any experience with these? and is it legal in indiana?
    only illegal to sell.
    Shooting Hoyt now, dabbling with Bowtech...

Quote Originally Posted by Bucks View Post
    only illegal to sell.
    You might want to check into that a little more. The making of alcoholic beverages is regulated on a Federal level. I can't remember the exact wording of the law, but it is something to the effect of a household with 2 adults can produce 200 gallons of beer or wine for personal consumption per year. The distillation of liquor is prohibited for private individuals unless you either possess a distiller's license, or you use the distilled alcohol as a fuel. If used as a fuel the alcohol has to contain an ingredient that makes it not usable for human consumption.

Unless it has recently changed, that's the law. That law was put into place in 1978 to clarify the legality of wine and beer making for individuals.
    Possum, the other white meat.

09 Alphamax 35 Target Black 29/64
    11 Hoyt CRX32 Bone Collector 29/70
    Crooked Stic longbow 44#@28", 496gr Easton 2114 163fps

I found the law on distilling:

Spirits
    You may not produce spirits for beverage purposes without paying taxes and without prior approval of paperwork to operate a distilled spirits plant. [See 26 U.S.C. 5601 & 5602 for some of the criminal penalties.] There are numerous requirements that must be met that make it impractical to produce spirits for personal or beverage use. Some of these requirements are paying special tax, filing an extensive application, filing a bond, providing adequate equipment to measure spirits, providing suitable tanks and pipelines, providing a separate building (other than a dwelling) and maintaining detailed records, and filing reports. All of these requirements are listed in 27 CFR Part 19.
    Spirits may be produced for non-beverage purposes for fuel use only without payment of tax, but you also must file an application, receive TTB's approval, and follow requirements, such as construction, use, records and reports.

Yeah I'll stick to just cooking it up in the kitchen for myself

Yeah I'll stick to just cooking it up in the kitchen for myself
    Which is still illegal. Not saying not to do it, but it isn't wise to announce your plans to commit a federal crime online.

good deal.thats how i made mine.also throw the first few ounces away.thats where the bad stuff is.in a 2 gallon cooker ide say probly the first 20 ounces of liquor...
    Nope not aluminum it's an old stainless pressure cooker.

i love em.use em for all kinds of stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatmichhunter View Post
    I've got those books!

Quote Originally Posted by jwatts View Post
    Which is still illegal. Not saying not to do it, but it isn't wise to announce your plans to commit a federal crime online.
    If the government wants to utilize their funds to come bust me for making a gallon of whiskey in my kitchen, I deserve to be caught. Especially when you have guys on tv making hundreds of gallons with open flames on public land.

I just wanted to make you aware that it wasn't legal, even for personal consumption. The reason I bring it up is someone close to where I live was busted for making some for personal use last year. Someone saw their still and reported them for making meth. The cops showed up and instead of a meth lab found some home brew and a small still. It was the first arrest in the area for moonshining since the 70s.

Yeah that's about when our last one was. But man that guy must be one of the unluckiest people around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast