Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of you have heard the "death groan"?

How many of you have heard the "death groan"?

My very first time hunting deer with my gpa (slug gun) i spine shot a doe and as we walked up on her to finish her off, she let out the most awful most horrid unrepeatable sound lots of hunters refer to as the "death groan." i cant really describe what it sounds like, almost like a low deep voice inhailing while groaning super loud. she was shot in the head after that and did not suffer longer than 20 seconds.
    has anyone else heard this before?
    does anyone know why they do it?

2012 PSE Stiletto
    2013 PSE Phenom
    PSE MI pro staff
    MOR Archery pro staff

When I shot my buck last year he grunted REALLY loud as his last dying breath. It wasnt terrible or gross sounding though, just a normal buck grunt but loud and long.
    Electric Pink Mathews Jewel 50lbs, 25"

i heard the death cry on my bear,first shot .270 14 yardsout, second shot 50 yards out on a full out run thru the cedars,moaned on the second shot

Had one doe bawl quite a lot -- again she was on the ground with a spine shot from a muzzle-loader. Again, very short suffering time, but the fear was audible.
    Bowtech Assassin 62 lbs
    Carbon Arrows
    Muzzy MX3s

-of course? i mean their world is ENDING.

Heard it once

ive had a couple deer run make a ba sound for a couple yards after whacking them with the bow no big deal,had a coyote yelp after whacking him,its all part of nature,,,,,,had my kid crying after i whack him on the butt

Quote Originally Posted by darbyjean95 View Post
    My very first time hunting deer with my gpa (slug gun) i spine shot a doe and as we walked up on her to finish her off, she let out the most awful most horrid unrepeatable sound lots of hunters refer to as the "death groan." i cant really describe what it sounds like, almost like a low deep voice inhailing while groaning super loud. she was shot in the head after that and did not suffer longer than 20 seconds.
    Only once... About 7 years ago in NJ, I shot a deer (bow) that ran/bolted about 150 yards. (It was a good shot that I had taken.) Well out of sight I heard that same eerie death groan/moan. Not a pleasant sound, to say the least... LOUD TOO!
    --------------------------------
    "RoadTrips" Tree Saddle, Muddy Sticks & Petzl Aiders?..... "A Killer Combo!"
    My limbs are just fine.... Unlike the '02 TomKat that "detonated" (limbs failed twice) many years ago!

Heard it twice in last year. Heard it on a deer i shot and and it died not 50 yards from me. i heard it, sounded to me like a person moaning from a back pain and then it gave a couple short things that sounded like a sheep baa'ing. the second time i heard it was on a doe a friend gut shot. he jumped before i came to help him look. I walked up on it first and it kicked and gave a moaning sound like it was just having to moan as it exhaled its last breath then it died before we could put it out of its misery. Neither had to do with a spine shot, but i imagine its pretty common.
    PSE Omen Pro Black/Camo 70 lbs # pin BG ascent limbdriver pro v doinker dish
    PSE DREAM SEASON EVO 73LBS 3 PIN TOMMY HOGGWHISKER BISCUIT SURE SHOT OCTANE STAB
    PSE XFORCE HF 6 60LBS EXTREME SIGHT WHISKER BISCUIT
    Elite Judge 74LBS G5 OPTIX XR WB 340 fmj 75 gn brass insert/125BH
    EASTON FLATLINES 400s w/ 100 GRAIN ST MAG AND T3s TRUFIRE EDGE FOLDBACK RELEASE

Quote Originally Posted by evobowhunter View Post
    Heard it twice in last year. Heard it on a deer i shot and and it died not 50 yards from me. i heard it, sounded to me like a person moaning from a back pain and then it gave a couple short things that sounded like a sheep baa'ing. the second time i heard it was on a doe a friend gut shot. he jumped before i came to help him look. I walked up on it first and it kicked and gave a moaning sound like it was just having to moan as it exhaled its last breath then it died before we could put it out of its misery. Neither had to do with a spine shot, but i imagine its pretty common.
    They were a kind of sound that would just send shivers down your spine ... or at least the did to me.
    PSE Omen Pro Black/Camo 70 lbs # pin BG ascent limbdriver pro v doinker dish
    PSE DREAM SEASON EVO 73LBS 3 PIN TOMMY HOGGWHISKER BISCUIT SURE SHOT OCTANE STAB
    PSE XFORCE HF 6 60LBS EXTREME SIGHT WHISKER BISCUIT
    Elite Judge 74LBS G5 OPTIX XR WB 340 fmj 75 gn brass insert/125BH
    EASTON FLATLINES 400s w/ 100 GRAIN ST MAG AND T3s TRUFIRE EDGE FOLDBACK RELEASE

Yep, same story as yours. Spine shot my first buck ever and he let out one of the loudest most indescribable sounds I've ever heard right before I put another arrow in him. Makes your arm hair stand up, I'll tell ya that.

Quote Originally Posted by darbyjean95 View Post
    Yup heard it before more than once.

I'd guess they are frightened or confused. maybe dying.
    Mike, proud member of the NCWID!
    USA
    PROUD MEMBER OF OHM RESISTANCE
    AR34 RAM.5 / PSE Bow Madness 32 Extreme sights, WB rests

Yeah, heard it twice.once with a doe and second time with a buck. Crazy sound.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk
    Mathews Helim
    Mathews S2

John 3:16(He paid it all)

A couple of times with deer, once on a bear.
    Elite Energy 32
    HHA
    QAD HDX
    Bee Stinger
    Easton Axis

Heard it once when I cut my x-wifes credit card off. The worst death Knells I have heard are from a hog or a rabbit, just wicked nasty.

I heard it once about 20 years ago. I spine shot a doe and she was bawling like crazy. My buddy was hunting about 100 yards from me and could hear it.
    2012 Elite Answer, HHA sight, QAD rest, Tightspot quiver, Torqueless grip, Ridgerunner sling, Stokerized 8" Hunter stabilizer, custom threads by Insight Archery, ACC Pro Hunters, Scott Sabertooth release, Slick Trick Magnum broadheads.

Never on deer, but gave heard it on bear.
    John's Custom Prostaff { no other string is even close }

Quote Originally Posted by ak0ta View Post
    heard it once when i cut my x-wifes credit card off. The worst death knells i have heard are from a hog or a rabbit, just wicked nasty.
    lol
    --------------------------------
    "RoadTrips" Tree Saddle, Muddy Sticks & Petzl Aiders?..... "A Killer Combo!"
    My limbs are just fine.... Unlike the '02 TomKat that "detonated" (limbs failed twice) many years ago!

Heard it once when I spine shot a doe. She didn't do it until I got within 5ft of her to put her out of her misery. The most awful thing I've ever heard.

Last weekend during doe shotgun someone shot gut shot one near me and I heard it bawl. I was floored I could hear it since we were a good 6-700 yards away from each other.

Used to bother me but I've heard it too many times. Last doe i shot on sunday made the same noise. Afterwards I heard a little kid ask someone what that was. Oh well that's hunting in NJ, I just don't like when the deer make it into neighborhoods. I've had a good season this year with 0 problems, knock on wood.
    Elite Pulse 28/70 LD, Boss Hogg, B Stinger, Kwikee, CT Whtetail XP's, Slick Tricks
    SR-71 28/70 LD, CBE Quad Light 3D, B Stinger, CT Cheetah's

Only heard it once........I always listen carefully after a shot.....it can reveal a lot of good info. Most of the time I just hear the thrashing and then silence that follows. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that and was just able to walk right to the deer not even following the blood trail.
    Bowtech Commander
    (Compound Traditionalist…and inconspicuous Old Timer)
    Bear Super Kodiak

i heard my bear let out a death groan this bow season.
    i have heard deer bawl but never give a death groan
    Athens Factory Staff Shooter http://www.athensarchery.com/home 2012 Athens Recluse-----2013 Athens Judgement
    Perfection Turkey Calls ProStaff
    Straight N Arrow Staff www.snaarchery.com
    bcbowdesigns.com, Trinity Archery Field Staff---- Hamskea Archery Shooting Staff

last year when i found a deer i had wounded, snuck in close and put another arrow in him.
    still gives me chills when i think about it.
    Bowtech Insanity,25.5" dl, 60# dw , Carbon Express Blue streaks @ 285fps, with Grim Reaper hybrids.
    HHA OL 5019 sight 4x lens and clarifier , Nap Apache, bling sling , Torqueless sideplates
    truglo stab with bowjax dampners , bowjax limb dampners and custom riser dampners .

I've heard it once or twice

Yes I've heard it several times, I don't like it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast