Thread: Tuning a crossbow?

Tuning a crossbow?

Is there any tuning or adjustments to be made on a crossbow? I know on my my there are tuning adjustments that I had to make but not sure on a crossbow.

TOWER SERVICE PROSTAFF

Great question: A little video or pictorial from one of our seasoned crossbow experts would be a great Christmas present on this subject, most especially on checking tiller and timing. hint, hint......
    Diamond Iceman
    Tenpoint Turbo XLT II
    Treadway Black Swamp

Yes JB, I'm sure others here can help you more than I, but what I can tell you is ...
    cam timing,,, just as your cam verticles timing has to spot on , (firing at the same time ) same with crossbow, twisting cable(s) and string to adjust, once you figure which way to go ! Compare cams on both sides of bow to a spot on the limbs , etc.
    Tiller,,, tiller can be adjusted by backing the limb bolts to obtain same measurement from a point say from axle to rail and getting equal on both sides, this adjustment should be minimal however not to back out too far, check with the bow manufacturer but most say no more than a few turns on the bolt, you will need to back off the short side to get it the same measurement as the side that measures long when the bolt is tight ,,, hope this helps, maybe some of the Pros here can elaborate more !

On a recurve,,,, Tiller is about all there is to tune I believe, same adjustment as compound,, measure like a verticle bow = risor to string, should be the same , if not , back out limb bolt to correct
    Old wore out SZ 380
    Crossbow Warrior Pro Staff
    NRA Member !

Quote Originally Posted by randyxx75 View Post
    Yes JB, I'm sure others here can help you more than I, but what I can tell you is ...
    cam timing,,, just as your cam verticles timing has to spot on , (firing at the same time ) same with crossbow, twisting cable(s) and string to adjust, once you figure which way to go ! Compare cams on both sides of bow to a spot on the limbs , etc.
    Tiller,,, tiller can be adjusted by backing the limb bolts to obtain same measurement from a point say from axle to rail and getting equal on both sides, this adjustment should be minimal however not to back out too far, check with the bow manufacturer but most say no more than a few turns on the bolt, you will need to back off the short side to get it the same measurement as the side that measures long when the bolt is tight ,,, hope this helps, maybe some of the Pros here can elaborate more !

On a recurve,,,, Tiller is about all there is to tune I believe, same adjustment as compound,, measure like a verticle bow = risor to string, should be the same , if not , back out limb bolt to correct
    Looks like we may have a volunteer on our video tutorial.
    Diamond Iceman
    Tenpoint Turbo XLT II
    Treadway Black Swamp

You tube it....
    Field staff shooter for Parker Bows

Parker Shooting Star 29 dl 70 dw

Parker BlackHawk 320fps! Oh baby she is sweet

On recurve crossbow like an Excalibur you adjust brace height by twisting string

Very simple

Quote Originally Posted by JParanee View Post
    On recurve crossbow like an Excalibur you adjust brace height by twisting string

Very simple
    Brace height yes, but Tiller as well J? thanks
    Old wore out SZ 380
    Crossbow Warrior Pro Staff
    NRA Member !

This is the only one I seen on YouTube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxVU_gb4TwU
    2011 Bowtech Strikezone 380 - Hawke XB30 - GrimReapers-Accuspines/Blazers-FireNocks - 438gn./370fps/131.35ke/19foc
    2012 Monster MR6 - HHA - QAD Ultra Rest - K-Tech - Carbon Impact - GrimReapers/Blazers
    2013 Middleton Black 375 SS - XB30 - 20" Accuspines - 29 grn. Aluminum Moon Nocks

Cam timing is criticle. In my experience, on several Barnetts and half a dozen SZ I have tuned, it will not neccesarily appear to be timed. I always shoot the bow with FP and BH to see where to start. If the BH is hitting right then twist the cable on the right cam and vise versa. This will bring the two together and the group sizes will shrink dramatically. When the process is complete, the cams may not look like they are in time. The proof is in the group size and it will shoot fixed blade broadheads. Not all fixed blade broadheads will fly well but several will including Slick Tricks and Montecs. I can group FPs and broadheads out to 70yrds when done properly. No video but I hope this may help. JME

Rod

I think this is a great vidoe........only i check this at full draw as well.
    Perfect arrow flight is the objective
    Mathews MR7 orange smoke
    Strykezone 350/380 Xb30 scope
    Scorpyd Velocity, Leupold VX3 4.5 x 14 scope, 22" Exacutioner arrows

In the video, he needed to put a few more twists in the cables. Ten Points are to show just a sliver of the brass above the limbs at the angle he had the camera.