Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping Quarters in a Pick-up Bed??

Sleeping Quarters in a Pick-up Bed??

Anyone got any pics or ideas??

08 BowTech Allegiance

what size pickup? full size of midsize? most pickups had pockets in the sides of the box that fit a 2x4 and than u can use plywood as a bed. allows for storage still under you.

Depends on what model trucks. Google "Truck Tents". They have some that have an air bed that is made to fit your truck bed (Depends on the model). Lots of options.

A friend of mine has n old 2 wheel drive nissan pickup. He built a box on the back out of plywood n 2x's. He built a bed w/storage under it on the left side of the bed. He also built in n a/c unit for use at the races during summer months. He calls it the meat waggon. Ill see if I can get some pics in the near future.

I have a full size Chevy short bed with a topper on it.
    08 BowTech Allegiance

After my divorce, I spent 3 years living in a full-sized Ford Bronco while I worked two jobs 7 days a week to pay off the credit cards and child support. I removed the rear bench seat and built a platform out of plywood with some 1x4 reinforcement in key areas. I also used quite a bit of 2x2 aluminum angle iron. Everything was bolted together for easy removal. I first built a bench 30" wide on one side for sleeping but eventually added two more boxes to make the entire rear area a sleeping platform. Two of the boxes were accessible by removing the top, and the box closest to the tailgate could be accessed by either removing the top or opening the tailgate. Pad the lids with 3 inch foam and cover with some camo fabric. It is easy to stretch it tight and staple it to the bottom of the lid. Then nail 1x1 or 1x2 rails to the bottom of the lids so they stay securely in place on top of the box. A loop of webbing coming up between the lids/pads makes it easy to open a box. When planning your box layout, think of the largest items you will want to store (such as firearms, bow case, fishing poles), so that you have a box large enough. By having everything stored under the platform, it also hides your valuables from prying eyes and sticky fingers. A 12v power point connected to the battery (or better yet, a spare 12v battery) is nice to charge your cell phone while you sleep.

If your camper shell windows dont have screens, you can mosquito-proof it by getting some industrial grade sticky back velcro and running it around the window or tailgate window. Then sew non-sticky velcro to some fiberglass window screen. Easy to get in and close it up behind you or remove it when it isn't needed. On my Bronco, I also used some strip magnets to put screen up over the driver/passenger side windows on the outside of the truck, and a another piece of strip magnet secured the bottom of the tailgate window screen to the tailgate. Ventilation without mosquitos is nice. Curtains are also nice to have if you are going to be in camgrounds or other public areas. I strung some wire above and below each side window and slid my curtains on it. For the tailgate, I put up a cheap curtain rod on the top, with magnets sewn into the curtain's bottom hem. This held them tight to the tailgate, giving me more room inside, and added privacy, without interfereing with opening/closing the tailgate. Finally, a small tent light mounted to the roof with double sided tape will give you light without draining your truck's battery.

Sorry, I don't have any pics of the set-up, but it was comfortable enough.
    Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
    misadventuregear.com

I spent the coldest night of my life in September in the Cascade Mountains on an airbed in the back of a pickup.

Turns out the exposed air matteress is a wonderful conductor of cold air. Brrrr. Don't reccommend it.

I've camped several days in a row just throwing a futon mattress in the bed of the truck. had one of those cheap aluminum toppers w screen windows.
    '09 HCA Speed Pro
    '14 HCA Axis

High Country Archery-the fastest bows under warranty

A few seasons ago I bought a slide in camper off craigs list for $300 used it for 2 years and sold it for $400. Its a cheap and more comfortable way IMHO.
    #1 Rage fanboy & poacher extraordinaire!

How about a folding cot with matress. Can use space underneath it for storage and you won't lose the bed space if needed. http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CH4Q8gIwAQ#

Quote Originally Posted by muzzy125acc View Post
    Anyone got any pics or ideas??
    are you living there or just spending the night?
    Marty Poole
    Team #30 - Crimson Vanes
    facebook.com/huntfish25
    SHOOT A BOWTECH 05 ALLEGIANCE DUALLY 80bls XX78 2219 29" ARROW WITH 125 MUZZY 3 BLADE BROAD HEAD. 590G AT 263FPS 91 KE's 20 yards - 80 yards

my parents had a topper on their old F250, they would put a couple 2x4's across the bed, throw on a sheet of plywood, then actually the matress off their bed on top of that for weekend camping trips (they had limited means in the 70's) did that for years, then moved on to a slide-in, pop-up trailer, toyota motorhome, 25' fifth-wheel and about a year ago picked up their current 33' fifth-wheel.

Sorry to get off subject, with that method, you still have good storage under your bed and a place to sleep. Then you can upgrade from there.

Good luck and have fun.

when I was guiding I would sleep in pickup most nights as the clients partied or stayed up late.
    I had a fiberglass cap on a 8' bed
    I built the sleeping platform up high- above the slots provided; I did use these slots but built the height up. All I needed was enough space for me to sleep in- it felt similliar to an MRI (ha ha) I did not run any supports perpendicular to bed- parrallel dividers took up load on the platform
    I went all out and used 3/4" plywood and put a pad and carpet on it. I used adhesive and carpet tacks.
    I had storage underneath 1/3 of this bed that was accessable via hatches for lights, extra water, and first aid, etc. The other 2/3 were open storage underneath. I also ran a 12v outlet to accomodate cell phone charger or the like, and had plenty of lights on switches. I also had a fan that kept things fresh on hot evenings. I would sleep in Jan out there, and never used a heater, but I had a really nice sleepingblanket that the mice ate up since.
    Now I have a different truck with a smaller bed, but I still sleep in it. I havent done anything to it- I haul my Nativecraft 12.5' kayak in the back and on a hitch extender, and need the room for work tools as well.
    It is really fun to get carried away back there if you put your mind to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterdale View Post
    How about a folding cot with matress. Can use space underneath it for storage and you won't lose the bed space if needed.
    I was just going to suggest this as I will be doing similar in my full size van. I tried the foam padding, etc. But, when it's cold outside, you need to get off the steel floor and air mattresses are not the best. I also have a Honda EU2000i generator that I use for powering a small space heater, small LED light strips and my netbook.

Quote Originally Posted by huntfish25 View Post
    are you living there or just spending the night?
    Exactly. Short term is different than long term.

If you're going to do long term, I'd recommend looking here for some ideas: http://cheaprvliving.com

Short term. Just on hunting trips.
    08 BowTech Allegiance

Hey Kerney, I got a truck tent for my F150 and have used it several times at LBL. Works great for me. Another guy that camps with us has a fiberglass tonneau cover and just sleeps under it on an air mattress.

I have done a cot and sleeping bag in the bed...with a easy up over the bed for shelter...works great and set up is fast.
    EXWOLVERINE STAFF SHOOTER... FOR THE BEST IN STRINGS VISIT...
    parknsonsarchery.com
    NO LIMIT ARCHERY STAFF... PROUDLY SHOOTING THE RINGER RELEASE AND GRAVE DIGGER BROADHEADS

THey make a fiberglass shell similar to a Yakima Rocketbox only bigger. Then when you get to your destination you pop it up like a pop-up camper and have sleeping quarters there. Can't remember the name of it, but it might work for you and leave your pick-up bed for all the storage. I know how much stuff a guy can take with and you might not have the room you need after sleeping there as well. Good Luck

Found one idea:http://www.cascadiatents.com/Vehicle_Tents.htm?m=81
    BTW, i just did a search, I have never tried them or anything similar(disclaimer for the spam police, lol)
    Last edited by dandbuck; December 28th, 2011 at 08:18 AM. Reason: adding website

What I was looking for was idea's on built sleeping area in existing camper shells. I have a truck and camper shell already.
    08 BowTech Allegiance

I did it once with a air mattress in the bed. I covered the bed with a large tarp over my lumber racks.
    I did it because I wanted to bug out because it was going to rain in the morning. This way I didn't have to roll up a wet tent
    member of narragansettbowhunters.org

They used to have slide in kits that were covered with indoor/outdoor carpet, you could probably make one. My buddy had one that was actually three individual pieces that slid into the bed and provided both storage compartments on the sides and under the elevated floor section. The floor section being elevated and covered provided protection from the cold bed of the truck. Sorry don't have any pics of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast