Thread: TruFire v. Scott releases

TruFire v. Scott releases

Hey guys,
    Starting to shop for a new release to shoot with. I am wanting to stay with a wrist release. I have a couple Trufires and dont have any problem with them and they will remain as backup. I have been looking at the new TruFire foldback releases and think its a neat idea. But I was told to get a Scott because of how far forward their trigger is. But Scott does not have a foldback option I am aware of. They do have the cloth "necks" which would be nice to tuck in a jacket while you are hunting. But I have never shot one with cloth behind the head. Is there any difference or difficulty with these types of releases?
    Thanks for any help

O yeah, one more thing, wanting to stay around $60 or lower.

Fur: '11 Elite Pure (Max-1)
    Foam: '12 Elite Pure (ninja)
    Indoors: '12 Elite Tour (ninja)
    B-Stinger, Gold Tip, TRU Ball/Axcel, Trophy Taker

Both are fine release and actually you can get a couple of Trufire with the strap like some of the Scott. But IMHO as far as the head the Scott has a slight edge. Also there are a couple of the TruFire release that do have the forward trigger(if that is what "YOU" want not what someone else likes with the fold back feature.
    Have a good day and a better hunt

You can't beat the fold back feature on the tru-fires. The new hardcore max is probably the nicest "wrist rocket" release I have ever shot. Super adjustable. Check it out. Nothing at all against the scotts they make a nice release also.
    Hoyt pro comp-indoors
    PSE Dominator Indoor 3d/Field
    Not sure yet for outdoor 3d its still to cold.

i am not sure where you live but my uncle had a scott little goose and in the cold weather it would not realease well and would cause his shot to be 6 inch to the right, when he figured this out he switched to the tru fire edge same one i have. the fold back is very nice when heading in the woods or shooting at the range as it makes it very easy to use both hands.
    1) God
    2) family
    3) everything else

I've shot both of them , multiple models, and prefer Scott. Been shooting one for almost 30 years. Better trigger and they just fit me better, currently shooting a Mongoose. The Tru-fires are very well made and the fold-back feature is a nice perc but the triggers are not as nice as the Scott and while the TF is infinitely adjustable (some models), I find myself having to fool with the trigger position/angle every time I shoot it (sons' release). I like buckles over velcro and the nylon straps do nothing for me, hate having chunks of metal dangling from my wrist....
    G-Fade Quest Primal LH 72# @ 29.25"
    Proline Strings
    GT Velocity XT's 372gr
    Speed = 307 fps
    Grim Reapers....Watch em drop!

Used to shoot a Truball (forget name) and now a Scott double caliper...very small and easy to tuck in sleeve.

$(KGrHqEOKm4E42n!4djkBOZSZus55g~~60_35.JPG
    Rules: Are guidelines for the wise and restrictions for the stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkworkx View Post
    Used to shoot a Truball (forget name) and now a Scott double caliper...very small and easy to tuck in sleeve.
    Is there any difference shooting with a cloth neck v. a rigid neck? seems like there would be

I have been shooting Scott for many years and have no reason to switch.
    Mathews Chill X (on order), Hamskea Versa rest, Spot Hogg, Tight Spot, Bee Stinger
    Bowtech Experience, TT Smackdown pro, Spot Hogg, Tight Spot, Bee Stinger
    Bowtech Tribute - Dads last bow now retired

The TruFire Hardcore is my hunting release and one of the best wrist straps I have shot. I absolutely LOVE the foldback feature while hunting!!!
    Lien2

Quote Originally Posted by Lien2 View Post
    The TruFire Hardcore is my hunting release and one of the best wrist straps I have shot. I absolutely LOVE the foldback feature while hunting!!!
    I have been a Scott mongoose guy for 15 years! Switched this year to a tru-fire hardcore and will never look back! The pivoting head is impressive as well as the fold back option... it also comes in swept and forward trigger options...

~Mike B

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    2014 Mathews Creed XS - Tactical/Flo Orange
    Mathews QAD HDX / Axion GLX Micro Pro Sight / Mathews ArrowWeb Quiver / Axion 5" Gridlock Stab / Easton FMJ 400 Arrows w/Deep-6 inserts/ NAP Quickfletch MLB Twister / Lumenok Lighted Nocks / NAP Deep-Six Spitfire-Maxx BH 100gr / Tru-Fire Hardcore Release

Quote Originally Posted by boilerfarmer12 View Post
    Is there any difference shooting with a cloth neck v. a rigid neck? seems like there would be
    Was different... but got used to real fast. Trigger was very light until you draw which gives it resistance and a nice feel. Much better feel IMO.
    Rules: Are guidelines for the wise and restrictions for the stupid.

I've been shooting Scott releases for years and never had not one problem with them while shooting 3D or hunting. They have great triggers with no crep and that's what I love about them!

Scott makes a better release iMO. the mongoose is a great release

Quote Originally Posted by boilerfarmer12 View Post
    I have a Scott Caliper rigid neck I have been shooting for 3 years now. I got to thinking I needed a back up, so I bought a used cloth neck Scott Caliper at my local shop. I was completely different than my other Scott in that each time I clipped it on my string, I had to manual twist it to get anywhere close to my original anchore point behind my earlobe. Both my son and daughter shoot Tru Fire Hurricanes because I wanted the added safety of the squeeze open/let off to close jaws to help them hold on the target. I prefer the click open, rigid Scott Caliper for the adjustability of the trigger cause I like a hair trigger. Just my .02!
    2012 PSE Supra UF Cams (30.5 Draw)
    Rip Cord "Code Red" Rest , Sure Loc Sights,
    Deer Crossing Archery Shooting Staff

Never had a prob with my little goose. A co-worker has one as well and it has worked great for him as well. Scott makes very dependable equipment.
    '10 Mathews Z7 28/67 * HHA 5510 * QAD HDX * 6" Axion Stab * Easton Axis and Epic N'fused * JBKStrings

i shoot truball but its just about as much personal preferance as bows are, get what feels good to you! the only thing i would recommend would be a buckle over a velcro closure, its just more consistant, for me anyways!
    Obsession bows pro staff
    Wicked Rack Outdoors
    Trophy Ridge
    Gold Tip

I've got a Carter RX2 and a Tru-Fire Hardcore. To me the triggers are equal, both very crisp, no creep. I just bought the Hardcore about a month ago, and from what time I've had with it, I believe it will be what I'll have on my wrist next season. The foldback feature is going to be very nice...
    Carbon Spyder Turbo

Thanks everyone for the input!! I went up to Dick's and checked out the Scott Caliper, and the Trufire Edge and Trufire Hurricane Pro Foldback. I went with the Hurricane. Just felt right. The foldback is a great feature that I think will be really nice for 3D and hunting just to have it out of the way to keep score or just not hit anything. I like the closing jaws on the Hurricane over the Scott. Hopefully I will like it just as much when I shoot it.

iv owned both, i liked the fold back buckle on my tru fire, but the trigger on the scott was far superior, atleast to the trufire i used a couple years ago.