Thread: anyone ever use sport climbers?

anyone ever use sport climbers?

good evening all, just wondering if anyone here uses/used sportclimbers for setting stands as opposed to tree pegs, and what you thoughts are. Are they worth a trying or not? Thanks

I have climbed trees extensively using spikes and would not recommend them to a beginner. The risk of falling is very high unless you know what your doing. As far as the spikes go, they are a bit uncomfortable with spikes only long enough for smooth to slightly rough barked trees.
    The time is now to save yourselves for eternity. Give your life and soul to Jesus Christ and our father in heaven for I suspect the day of judgement is almost at hand.

I had a pair of those, only used them once, never again. There's much better, and safer ways to climb trees.
    2011 Hoyt Vantage LTD, realtree AP, NAP plunger rest, HHA sight, fuse blade stab, hoyt quick detach quiver, easton 2514, 5" feathers, 145gr. snuffer broadheads

Being trained/qualified on pole-climbing with gaffs, I can't imagine ever using those sport climbers. They look pretty uncomfortable and I can only imagine how many people have cut out and bit it wearing those things.

I used them for years. I saw the need to hunt higher than I felt comfortable climbing with spikes, so I retired them. They are good for quick hunts or scouting with your stand on your back, but if you use them on the same tree over and over it makes for a nasty climb(especially pines).

You need to wear a boot that has great ankle support and padding, and if you are out of shape, they will get the best of ya.

So will hunting in general. out of shape, out of the picture. Better off watching your hunting shows. Most of what you want or can do is in your mind .Not comfortable , don't use it.

I've tried them twice - my first and last time. The Sport Climbers are so short that you need ankles of steel to support your weight. I have a pair of actual lineman's pole climbers where the top section straps around just under your knee. Even with the additional support it will wear you out trying to climb a tree. And the spur doesn't puncture into the treebark as easy as it does in the smooth surface of a telephone pole. But it's your money.
    You can't fix stupid
    PSE Bow Madness, Easton ACC, Armortech sight, bunch of other crap
    Scropyd Ventilator 150, Hawke SR IR
    Barnett Recruit, Black Eagle Executioner bolts
    Trojan Shooting Staff

I had them and Collins is right, they are pretty junky compared to the linemans climbers. I found it easy to go up but alot harder to come down. I give them up they made me mad everytime I used them.
    Let him go so he can grow

thanks guys, I have always wondered about them, but the replies you guys gave, are exactly what I was looking for. Obviously not worth it

I use them but carry a 60 foot piece of rope to "rappel" using the double rope technique. Too hard to walk back down. I climbed trees for a living and used a very similar system. 60 feet of rope will let me sit 30 feet up and only adds 3 pounds. Much lighter than climbing sticks.