Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 115

Thread: Was this one of the worst deer hunting seasons ever?

  1. #1

    Was this one of the worst deer hunting seasons ever?

    .


    First off, getting a deer does not make a season, although it helps. It's the opportunity, not the outcome. Also, this isn't every area. Some places maybe doing better then they ever have.




    However, for seeing and harvesting deer, was this one of your worst seasons ever in your opinion?





    Why do you think there is the decline in deer and harvest numbers?






    Some may say, "Well, I got 3 deer." However, what are the guys you've talked to saying? Are they saying it was a good or bad season?



    I've noticed a definite decline in the last 10 years. When I was in my last years of highschool and hunted you would hear gun shots almost all day, every day of gun opener in MN and on the way back home on Sunday you would see nearly a deer in the back of every truck. This year we heard 3.....3 shots only on Saturday and like 5 on Sunday. On the way home on Sunday we did not see 1 deer in the back of a truck. Not 1. It's slowly gotten like this since 1999.




    I've spoke with hunters in Northern, Central, and Southern, MN and they say it's been getting worse and worse with this year being one of the worst. A friend on the North Shore who has shot many monster bucks said this year was the worst he's seen in the last 40 years. We also hunted Wisconsin and were told it was horrible there too by some hunters.

    People say it's a lot of things and a combination of all of these: woods getting older, predators (wolves/coyotes), and urbanization. I think I've got to add one more thing, "over-harvesting" by hunters. Perhaps we are killing too many deer in certain areas, especially does. If this is the case hunters are their own worst enemy. Just because we can kill 5 anterless deer doesn't mean we should.


    I know the DNR Harvest numbers in a lot of states are proving that deer kill numbers are far lower then last year and last year wasn't a great year either.

    .


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    33,028
    It was one of the worst years Ive seen in a while. I did connect with a decent buck but overall it was a tough season in my parts.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    189
    Here in southern NY, I would say my worst year by far. I have been hunting for 34 years!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    on your land
    Posts
    1,959
    It was my personal worst year I can rememember in the last 23 years. I am sure that I made plenty of mistakes this season, but that being said I was as careful and did as much homework as I have ever done in my hunting life and my results were simply poor. It was that I just wasn't getting shots, but I wasn't even seeing deer or even sign of deer. As was said "harvesting a deer" certainly does not make a season for me, but sitting for hours and hours and scouting for hours and hours and simply not seeing deer makes it very discouraging for sure.
    the fun is over once you pull the trigger

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Blaine, MN
    Posts
    127
    In more then 35 years of hunting them by far the worst season ever for just seeing a deer.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Briar View Post
    It was my personal worst year I can rememember in the last 23 years. I am sure that I made plenty of mistakes this season, but that being said I was as careful and did as much homework as I have ever done in my hunting life and my results were simply poor. It was that I just wasn't getting shots, but I wasn't even seeing deer or even sign of deer. As was said "harvesting a deer" certainly does not make a season for me, but sitting for hours and hours and scouting for hours and hours and simply not seeing deer makes it very discouraging for sure.



    Agree. It wasn't like I was seeing deer.......was out for nearly 45 days and shot the only deer that was shootable. 1 deer.....in 45 days of hunting.




    Used to see dozens on opening weekend alone. (Obviously didn't shoot them all. lol)


    .

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Winchester va
    Posts
    2,623
    My deer take was good, but it was SLOW and sightings were virtually non existent from November 12-December 12. Rifle season was just barren of deer.
    08 Guardian
    "We didn't get to where we are on the food chain by being vegetarian.
    Are we not all target archers by default?
    I harvest crops. I kill animals.
    When asked 'How can you shoot Bambi?', I say 'I don't shoot Bambi, I shoot his dad.'

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Prarie of Western MN
    Posts
    2,054
    Quote Originally Posted by hedp View Post
    .


    First off, getting a deer does not make a season, although it helps. It's the opportunity, not the outcome. Also, this isn't every area. Some places maybe doing better then they ever have.




    However, for seeing and harvesting deer, was this one of your worst seasons ever in your opinion?





    Why do you think there is the decline in deer and harvest numbers?






    Some may say, "Well, I got 3 deer." However, what are the guys you've talked to saying? Are they saying it was a good or bad season?



    I've noticed a definite decline in the last 10 years. When I was in my last years of highschool and hunted you would hear gun shots almost all day, every day of gun opener in MN and on the way back home on Sunday you would see nearly a deer in the back of every truck. This year we heard 3.....3 shots only on Saturday and like 5 on Sunday. On the way home on Sunday we did not see 1 deer in the back of a truck. Not 1. It's slowly gotten like this since 1999.


    I've spoke with hunters in Northern, Central, and Southern, MN and they say it's been getting worse and worse with this year being one of the worst. A friend on the North Shore who has shot many monster bucks said this year was the worst he's seen in the last 40 years. We also hunted Wisconsin and were told it was horrible there too by some hunters.

    People say it's a lot of things and a combination of all of these: woods getting older, predators (wolves/coyotes), and urbanization. I think I've got to add one more thing, "over-harvesting" by hunters. Perhaps we are killing too many deer in certain areas, especially does. If this is the case hunters are their own worst enemy. Just because we can kill 5 anterless deer doesn't mean we should.


    I know the DNR Harvest numbers in a lot of states are proving that deer kill numbers are far lower then last year and last year wasn't a great year either.

    .
    I know for a fact in my part of western MN, the regional wildlife manager said the numbers have been down over the last few years because of that all season license they used to sell. The one where you'd get 1 buck tag with 2 doe tags. He said the muzzleloaders were killing too many antlerless deer in my area using those tags.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4,336
    This was my first year in quite awhile to not harvest a deer. Only saw one shooter buck that was in range. Didn't have the shot angle. I don't think, overall, that the deer population is down or otherwise diminshed from previous years in this area.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    mountains of nc
    Posts
    1,341
    Saw doe at a distance almost everytime I was in the field but by far my worst year the only bucks I saw were on my trip to ohio and I hunt 3-5 days a week from september till now!
    2012 Elite Answer 29" @ 76lb, Harvest time HT-1 350's w/85gr. inserts, Shuttle T 125 gr.
    IQ Retina Lock, Trophy Ridge Drop Zone rest, B-Stinger stab, Tight Spot quiver

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Worcester, Ma
    Posts
    1,131
    Worst year in history here in MA as many claim, numbers are insanely low, as there is no food in the woods for the deer.
    Viscosity Bowstrings
    2014 Elite Energy 35
    2010 Elite Z28
    Deer Crossing Archery LLC

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by reflex shooter View Post
    I know for a fact in my part of western MN, the regional wildlife manager said the numbers have been down over the last few years because of that all season license they used to sell. The one where you'd get 1 buck tag with 2 doe tags. He said the muzzleloaders were killing too many antlerless deer in my area using those tags.


    Muzzle loaders, wow, didn't think of that.



    My group got 1 deer last year with rifle but got 7 with muzzle loaders. Our first year muzzle loader hunting.

    .

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    best 80ac. i could afford
    Posts
    2,861
    not a great season.....plenty of deer in different places and on different patterns, guess some of you need to learn to change it up when the going gets tuff!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    2,554
    I saw more deer than ever, this year.
    Holy son of a gun....I'm down to only one bow now. I'm ashamed of myself

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    486
    I shot 1 buck and 1 doe. So an average harvest, but I would say hunting was much more difficult this year than the previous few. I thought the way the weather played out this year, it made "normal" deer movement much different. I can't say numbers are down...I saw a ton of deer the during October. I would say that the late season (all of december) the deer were noctournal, and more so than normal due to the weather and moon cycles.

    Usually the last week of the year I can go out just about any morning and evening and see groups of deer in the plots during legal hours. Last week I had 100+ pictures in one section of food plot of many deer feeding. Only 2 pictures were during daylight. 95% of the pictures were from midnight-4am. I blame the 40+ degree days and no snow! There were still plenty of deer around, just not during daylight.

    Trail cameras help explain a lot...

    Usually I plan my "meat" harvest for muzzleloader/late bow season. They are usually grouped up, and regularly hit the plots at night/morning, and its cold enough to let them hang. This year I should have taken my does the first 2 weeks of October when I had them walking past every 20 minutes... Oh well. Next year.
    2007 BT Guardian - Vapor Trail String/Cables - QAD Pro HD - Spot Hogg Real Deal 5-pin - Octane Stab - GT Arrows

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Charles, Missouri
    Posts
    1,740
    i saw great movement early and killed a doe on sept. 30 and my 156" brute on nov. 5. until then the year was great and getting betting though we did have unseasonable warm weather at that point. however, from the 10th on the weather got very weird and we saw deer movement slow. our rifle season was INCREDIBLY windy and warm. 20 mph sustained winds with gusts in the mid 40 and temps in the 60s. it was the first time in 6 years at my buddys farm where no one shot a deer with a rifle. then the weird weather continued. where im at in MO we have not seen a hint of snow. weather sucked for duck hunting too! on Christmas we had a high of 59 degrees. 3 days ago it was 55 degrees. yesterday was gusty and 35....today i woke up to a calm day and 10 degrees outside. we are supposed to be back to 50 by the end of the week. so for me early season was great with lots of deer seen but as soon as i shot my buck and gun season started the weather went nuts and slowed movement. I still think this will be my best season, despite the awful weather, because its going to be hard to top a 156" MO 12 point with a bow.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Charles, Missouri
    Posts
    1,740
    Quote Originally Posted by Roskoes View Post
    I don't think, overall, that the deer population is down or otherwise diminshed from previous years in this area.
    good point here. i agree, i dont think populations are down by any means (in some places they are up because of low harvests) but just weird weather caused changing patterns and less opportunities for hunters.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Gurley, Alabama
    Posts
    908
    In the olden days if I went a couple of days or so without seeing a deer I would get to thinking what a sorry hunter I must be. Now I can go a couple of weeks and not see hide nor hair of a deer and know for a fact I am a sorry hunter.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by deerhunter101 View Post
    good point here. i agree, i dont think populations are down by any means (in some places they are up because of low harvests) but just weird weather caused changing patterns and less opportunities for hunters.


    The weather and moon phases made it a combination for hunting this year, but how does that explain the last 10 years?

    .

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,679
    Was fine for me. Weather wasnt cooperative and full moon at gun opener didnt help but i harvested plenty and my late season sightings are looking better than ever.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sussex, NJ
    Posts
    8,098
    Worst for seeing deer for me since 1969 and I got to hunt almost everyday this year, unlike 3 days in '69. Public land is way down in #s. Seems like in the last 3 years the population has been cut in half each year. 1 fawn with 4 mature doe at the beginning of fall bow tells me we have a coyote, bear, and bobcat problem. Unlimited doe and baiting adds to it.
    I can count the bucks I saw all year on one hand. I saw 3 small bucks a few times in the same spot, and got a descent 104" 8pt, and saw one other. The rubs and scrapes are less than a quarter of what they were a few years ago. Got to look hard for them and they don't get worked like they use to, maybe because the competition isn't there. Yea, it was a bad year for me. Anyone I've talked to says the same.

  22. #22
    Best season ever, whether just fortunate or a trend I don't know but my sightings were double what they were the last two seasons and I saw and arrowed the largest whitetail I have ever had the good fortune of encountering.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ks
    Posts
    3,421
    It was pretty bad, I think more tags are being handed out then our deer and turkey numbers can handle anymore.
    2010 Ben Pearson TX-4 Limited Edtion R2B2 QAD Rest Trophy Ridge Mantis Guide Series TRU-GLO Deadenator XS TR 4banger Easton Flatlines Wasp Jak-Hammer
    The Lil Ladies Bow

    Hoyt VICXEN Whisker biscuit TR V-3 TRU-GLO Deadenator XS Apex BC quiver Carbon Express Mayhems, NAP HELLRAZORS

  24. #24
    Worst year ever here in central WI...some people had success, but overall the lowest sightings of deer in my 30yrs of bow and gun hunting! I really feel bad for my kids who are starting to think that hunting is a waste of time! I do everything I can to keep them excited, but lets get real....they do have the ability to reason, and think independently, and they are not enjoying seeing nothing!
    HOYT BOWS,, CARBON EXPRESS ARROWS, T.R.U. Ball and CARTER releases, Ktech stabs, HHA AND CBE SIGHTS, etc.
    Wac'em and Slick Trick heads!!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    South Hills of Picksburgh
    Posts
    2,697
    I am not complaining. This was one of my best years ever. I did not see anything above 3.5 years from stand but saw deer on all but 1 hunt. I called in many deer this fall. No buck rode home with me though.

    Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •